Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you doing during covid19 "social distancing"?

Never underestimate gramps my mum grew up in relative affluence, but both she and my dad taught us how to make a little go a long way at home, and my wife's parents and grandparents did the same for her; it wasn't that long ago that their society was well-acquainted with hardship. We've both (well, mostly me) inherited a tendency to hoard things that may come in handy.

In other news, I'm wfh this week, and no work next week. My mum and sis were supposed to leave for sthlm yesterday, but my conniving daughter used her supernatural powers to get their train canceled, so now they're going tomorrow instead. I hope the train gets canceled again
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Survived my first day back to my work location, building was in much better condition than I was expecting considering its age and the problems we have had with its air circulation. Wednesday I'm being farmed out to a 3D printer group so the system can contribute to making PPE.

Its nice to finally get out from under weeks of webinars, but its still weird not having a normal yet.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

My mum and my sister left for Sthlm yesterday. They were supposed to leave on Monday, but the baby used her supernatural abilities to get their train cancelled, so that she could get some extra time to hang out. I am so incredibly glad she was able to have this time with my mother, that my mother was able to be here to hang out with us for so long (a month and a half!), and that my sister was able to hang out here as well for a couple of weeks. The day after they left, my daughter—whose daily morning ritual for the past month and a half had involved a lot of cuddling and singing with my mother in the spare bedroom—looked around trying to find my mother and halfheartedly singing a little. It was heartbreaking. But now she's back to chatting with her on Facebook, which is okay even though it's just not the same I am incredibly worried about my mother, of course, but knowing that my sister will be with her makes a huge difference (even though I'm worried about my sister as well, both wrt covid as well as wrt the likely immigration hassle she'll have to endure when she tries to go back to resume work in DC). They got this time together, and that's what counts. All we can do is stay in touch, make the most of every day, and hope for the best. My mother spent her last day here buying Eid-clothes for the baby... it was almost too emotional to bear.

I haven't gotten much done this week, mostly just enjoyed spending time with the girls and reading. My daughter has discovered the joys of the balcony, so I sit out there with her a few times a day, freezing my ass off as she stands by the railing in her PJs, barefoot, just soaking in the entire world. Like so: https://imgur.com/wWADeBn

Today was our 10th anniversary so we ordered in from a local restaurant (holy crap has the quality of takeout gone up or what) and finally opened a bottle of wine a friend had given us as a wedding gift. It just so happens that the wine was from 2010 and my god was it ever delicious =D I can't believe it survived all our years of neglect and outright mistreatment. Work-wise, I reckon this week is a wash, so next week—which would've been a vacation week—will have to be a work-week instead. My schedule for the coming months looks pretty good, but anything can happen on very short notice. That's all right—I really can't complain, seeing as how I go on vacation in a month and a half, which will turn into parental leave until February. It's ridiculous. But I'm immensely grateful.

My how time flies! Congrats on your 10 yr anniversary!

I'm spending time figuring out what "the new normal" will look like. Mostly for my sons who work in "personal experience" fields -- restaurant dining and live music venues -- that took a real hit during the covid pandemic. It's not like they can just move to another state to fulfill their "American Dream". Even re-locating to Europe as plan B is less viable now.

It's a real quandary, an existential nightmare for them. But youth is on their side, and they can probably adapt to "the new normal", or change future metrics better than I can. At least I hope so. Unfortunately, hope isn't a real plan.

I'm also trying to work thru our generational divide, as a family. It's tough for smart kids to not resent their parents' role in this fucked up world, even tougher for parents to admit to our kids that we've probably fucked up their future.
    Last edited by GGT; 05-03-2020 at 12:53 AM.

I try to think I am an astronaut in space, like in a retro spaceship with gravity.
    Working from home and dealing with some mourning due to loss of a loved one.
    Playing Battletech the board game. Very cool game.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

I spent a large part of today reading up on NC policy, then called a few of my son's state officials to ask why his Unemployment Claim is still pending after 5 weeks. To my surprise (and delight), I got a call-back from his state Senator's legislative assistant within a few hours.

Turns out his case is "unusual" and he's been caught in the cracks and gaps between state and federal guidelines. I've tried to encourage my son to make calls and write letters, but he's been pretty passive, and resigned to just waiting. (Mom, I'm not special from the other one million people in NC waiting)

I might have messed up my relationship with my son, and how he defines his independence....or maybe I've helped him realize that just waiting isn't being proactive? Dunno, jury is still out on that angle. But at least he's not on his own, trying to get what he deserves, slowly quickly going broke in the process, and it's not just mama on his side but his state Senator, too. That's what they get paid for....
    Last edited by GGT; 05-08-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Enjoying viral humor:

Q: What's the biggest risk factor for covid-19?

A: A dense population.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm growing herbs on my kitchen window, have re-potted houseplants, moved furniture around, done a lot of (obsessive) cleaning, take long walks, listen to music, experiment with recipes, talk on the phone, read, watch movies, go thru photo albums....

but I really miss my kids, and have to resist the temptation to drive 4-6 hours to see either of them, just to share big hugs and kisses. No amount of putzing around can fill that void. *sigh*
    Have you tried wearing a mask and a transparent plastic face cover?
    When going out use a jacket that covers you, no jewerly
    If your car does not have air intake open, you would not be catching environmental pollution. Close windows.
    You arrive to your family place. They should wear mask and face cover.
    COVID enters via breathing and talking via mouth, nose, eyes.
    When you enter home and when they enter home follow protocol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4vCHM2c4X0
    Imagine you were swimming in manure. so treat everything as if it was dirty.

I'm growing herbs on my kitchen window, have re-potted houseplants, moved furniture around, done a lot of (obsessive) cleaning, take long walks, listen to music, experiment with recipes, talk on the phone, read, watch movies, go thru photo albums....

but I really miss my kids, and have to resist the temptation to drive 4-6 hours to see either of them, just to share big hugs and kisses. No amount of putzing around can fill that void. *sigh*
    I really feel comfortable at home.
    Taking care of the cat and dog takes some time.
    Video calls with family.
    To make videos for my new Youtube channel.
    Last edited by ar81; 05-14-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

I'm practicing "mind games". Want vs Need. Pretending that my son in Pittsburgh lives in Alaska, and that my son in Raleigh lives in California -- too far away to justify domestic air travel, or driving hundreds of miles -- just because I miss hugging and kissing them isn't enough. Patience kinda sorta works.

When that falls short, I remind myself this is like a cakewalk compared to what my family (and country) endured during WWII.

It's also weird that mask-wearing is considered political in comparison

I was talking with a colleague today, and mused that covid-19 reminded me of the HIV epidemic of the 80's: everyone you have sex with is like having sex with everyone they've ever had sex with, but there's no total body condom to protect you, and no vaccine. But abstinence only isn't a plausible Public Health Policy.

So much for "mind games", huh.
    Last edited by GGT; 05-21-2020 at 09:57 PM.

I had one appointment in my hair salon, the day we went to Green in early June. I felt okay about it, even tho no one was wearing a mask, because our case numbers were going down. Since then I've changed my mind, because too many jerks were acting as if nothing had happened, and our infection rate has increased. So I cancelled my July appointment and bought an electric razor, instead....and shaved my head!

It's not a GI close-cut shave but it's still a drastic change...and I love it! Feels so cool during this heat wave, and so liberating! I don't even care what it looks like (even tho it looks pretty good), because that's what hats are for. Besides, hair grows.

The interesting thing is how shaved hair highlights the grey, and doesn't look like the blonde in short scissor style cuts. But I like that because it's authentic. (For years people thought I died my hair since it looked blonde instead of grey )

Anyway, I'm glad I did it...and will probably continue to use the razor instead of the salon. Not good news for the salon, but they're not really an "essential" business anyway, so.....

btw it really bugs me when women complain about not being able to get their hair or nails done. Pandemic or not, they just sound like spoiled brats whining about first world cosmetic problems.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-27-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Congrats on the new haircut! I just got one last weekend and it was amazing.

I've found it hard to get on the same page as people when trying to arrange distant hangs but when we do, it's worth it! That said, I can't pretend my antibodies are a real shield.

Bump. What are you guys planning for the Thanksgiving holiday?

I heard a premier scientist say his family won't have their family's holiday gathering for the first time in 27 years, because it's just not safe. I tend to agree...but know there's a lot of pressure from other people saying it's worth the risk.

We don't do Thanksgiving anyway.. but by now I also don't think we'll have our regular family Christmas dinner with 10 people (+ 2 little ones). Sucks, but it is what it is..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Bump. What are you guys planning for the Thanksgiving holiday?
    Preparing for our daughter's first day of kindergarten while subjecting ourselves to a storm of disappointment by perusing Black Friday "deals".

I've started Depression era behaviors my gramps taught me, just in case all this "social distancing" tanks our consumption-based economy. That means saving slivers of soap (my sister knitted a pouch for that purpose), using bath water as grey water (for potted plants, and mopping floors), drying clothes on racks and hangers (to save on electric dryer costs), walking to the grocery store (and buying less bulky items), and trying to avoid driving my car (even tho the price of gas is super low).

It's weird. It seems like an experiment now, something that's almost an entertaining challenge, like how long can you hold your piss before your bladder practically explodes? But it's also very real....because I've seen the long lines at emergency food banks, including people driving expensive cars (who probably have expensive mortgages, too) looking for free food because their budget is busted and there's no income coming in. So many millions living on the edge....

We used to laugh that gramps used the same water to boil corn and then make coffee, or that he only bought day-old bread, or used newspaper print to drain dishes and bacon grease, or glued soap slivers together to make a bar, or thought it was "extravagant" to get a cone at Dairy Queen....even tho he was living in an expensive Chicago suburb. We didn't understand how WWI or the Great Depression had affected him, we were just spoiled post-WWII brats who thought he was an old fashioned, eccentric skin-flint.

But now I'm thankful he taught me how to pinch pennies, and separate want from need. Hoping I did the same for my kids. Because this might just be another Depression era. I've spent a lot of time thinking about the *new normal* during this 'social distancing' viral and economic shutdown.
    When I was a kid I was poor. There was no money for toys. At the time my parents gave me 0.5 a day and a Star Wars figure cost was 32. Took me a long time to get one action figure. Having a playset was not an option.

Once an office had those styrofoam stuff used for computers in the garbage. I took a piece of it and it was my Hoth playset. To build anything I needed carton. Cigars had small boxes wrapped by carton box. That carton was unwrapped and went to the trash. I asked the retail store to keep it for me. I draw the pieces then cut, folded and assembed either with glue or tape. I took a piece of plywood from the scraps of a workshop and built a Millenium falcon playset with the carton.

So my playsets were made of other people's garbage. Other people's garbage was my treasure. When I watched Back to the future movie, I thought Marty should be rich, because he had a room for himself alone. Having a car also meant he was rich. In primary school I had to walk 1 mile to get to school carrying those heavy books. We ate a small piece of meat once a week. Having a hamburger felt like being a billionaire, only rich kids could afford it. The lowest point was when I was 6 years old. There was that $1 cheap tin truck and my parents could not afford it. Eating was priority. I had anemia during kindergarden.

During high school there was this pretty blonde American girl in an exchange program. She was surrounded by people and I was in the background. Dreaming of an exchange program was not an option. What could my family offer to an American kid? My lifestyle? My diet?

My wife also was so poor that at some point she only had bugs to play and to watch TV she had to be in front of a neighbor's house and watch through the window. Having peanut butter or olives was a luxury. Chocolates and coke were just for rich kids. They lived in such extreme poverty that eating 3 times a day meant wealth.

So your grandparent's behavior does not look eccentric for me at all.

Fortunately things got better later and I could afford a giant Millenium Falcon for $150 which now costs about $1000. It was on my bucket list. Now she has a portable DVD with a screen so she can watch any movie on the bed.