Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This time is different....

Good for you Being. Me, I can't afford to throw away $1200 dollars.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I also don't get direct deposit, which is great because I plan on soaking the check in dog vomit and mailing it back to the king. Best $1200 dollars I never spent.
    This is dumb, cash the check and donate it to Biden, to a Dem candidate from your state, or to a local charity. That way you'll also avoid being investigated by the feds.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Or at least cash the check by app before doing that.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let it be known that I will pay Being $5 if he lets me decide who he should give that money to (not me).

I'll give Being $10 if I get to decide. Half to me and half to fuzzy cause his situation sucks ATM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I'll give Being $10 if I get to decide. Half to me and half to fuzzy cause his situation sucks ATM.
    See this is how progressives keep losing through auto-cannibalization stop copying my plan and making it worse

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Good for you Being. Me, I can't afford to throw away $1200 dollars.
    I actually wondered what I would do if we had qualified for any assistance. We're still getting paid by all four of our jobs (even though we're not really 100% on any of them) and while our lives are a mess with the kids home, our practical expenses haven't changed much. Obviously for people who are in different circumstances because of housing/food insecurity or under/unemployment, they should take every scrap. But me? We'd honestly probably just save the extra cash. It's not like we can pay a babysitter to come and watch our kids, or something like that which would actually help.

Given how much of a clusterfuck this is going to be for countless people, and the massive hole opening in government budgets, is it reasonable for me to keep the money? I'd probably lean towards just giving it to one of the local organizations we support that are addressing some of the immediate needs of this mess.

That being said, I suspect we're in extraordinarily privileged circumstances given our jobs, so this isn't likely a major problem for most people. And we didn't qualify anyways. *shrugs*
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

This crisis is going to cost me 30% of my monthly income, but that's about the extent of it. Expenditure probably has dropped by a much larger percentage so at the bottom line it's not going to hurt much financially.

I can't really understand the emotion of not cashing that cheque; I know it may feel like a hand out from the King, but in reality of course it already was your money. If you want to give the finger to HM you could do what Aimless advised you to do with it.
    Last edited by Hazir; 04-17-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: the optimism got squashed since I wrote that
    Congratulations America

There's going to be hell to pay in academia, starting with a bunch of cancelled job searches this semester. Not sure what happens next year when enrollment numbers are way down (and let's be honest, higher ed. is the first thing that's going to get its funding cut).

My sister is pissed right now because all the tests that a lot of colleges require to show proficiency can't be taken, but no one is easing enrollment requirements, especially for those transferring from a community college program to a specialized program.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    My sister is pissed right now because all the tests that a lot of colleges require to show proficiency can't be taken, but no one is easing enrollment requirements, especially for those transferring from a community college program to a specialized program.
    I wouldn't be surprised if something is worked out by the Spring semester. Way too much uncertainty right now and a lot of decisions have to be made in the near future. Colleges will also be desperate for transfers to make up for falling Fall enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I actually wondered what I would do if we had qualified for any assistance. We're still getting paid by all four of our jobs (even though we're not really 100% on any of them) and while our lives are a mess with the kids home, our practical expenses haven't changed much. Obviously for people who are in different circumstances because of housing/food insecurity or under/unemployment, they should take every scrap. But me? We'd honestly probably just save the extra cash. It's not like we can pay a babysitter to come and watch our kids, or something like that which would actually help.

Given how much of a clusterfuck this is going to be for countless people, and the massive hole opening in government budgets, is it reasonable for me to keep the money? I'd probably lean towards just giving it to one of the local organizations we support that are addressing some of the immediate needs of this mess.

That being said, I suspect we're in extraordinarily privileged circumstances given our jobs, so this isn't likely a major problem for most people. And we didn't qualify anyways. *shrugs*
    My parents are actually in a similar situation (both retired and on a fixed income but my father's fixed income is generous and this isn't a very expensive area). They're planning on giving half to us three kids, part to my mother's church, and the rest to a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    There's going to be hell to pay in academia, starting with a bunch of cancelled job searches this semester. Not sure what happens next year when enrollment numbers are way down (and let's be honest, higher ed. is the first thing that's going to get its funding cut).
    The fiance of one of my friends had to decide Wednesday whether to cancel her acceptance at her top-choice grad program because they'd thrown her into a holding pattern and the other offers she'd received were getting to the wire on deadlines. She's literally gotten sick with the worry and uncertainty just chasing around and about.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The fiance of one of my friends had to decide Wednesday whether to cancel her acceptance at her top-choice grad program because they'd thrown her into a holding pattern and the other offers she'd received were getting to the wire on deadlines. She's literally gotten sick with the worry and uncertainty just chasing around and about.
    If I were on the market right now (or applying to grad school), I'd be extremely worried until the moment I signed a formal contract. Offers can be pulled until the last second.

Any bets on how fast phase 2 of PPP will run out of money? Or if well-capitalized or publicly traded companies will run over the little guys again?

The LA Lakers "qualified" for a loan, and only returned the money because they got shamed. That's a serious flaw in the structure of this scheme. Meanwhile thousands of truly small businesses will go out of business -- bankruptcies are up about 20% with more to come. Not much transparency in who's getting these loans/grants, but I'm sure some small bankruptcy law firms are benefiting twice.

Also, workers in states with crappy public administration *still* haven't gotten their first Unemployment check. Many still waiting on the federal $1,200 relief check, too.

The PPP scheme (to help "small businesses") is in direct conflict with state Unemployment Compensation, and federal dollars paying $600/week to "anyone" affected by the covid crisis.

Especially for the restaurant industry....where operating with 25% of customers, with 100% of over-head, and keeping all employees on the payroll for the next 6 months just doesn't make sense (unless it's a large corporation that can absorb those losses). There's an insane discrepancy by state, too -- my son in PA got UC right away, but my son in NC is still waiting, even tho they both applied around the same time.

Also, it's absurd that private schools (like St. Andrew's where Trump's son attends, and has an $8 million endowment) got money before the mom and pop joint did. It falls flat when Mnuchin says there will be audits after-the-fact. By then, thousands of truly SMALL businesses will have gone out of business, taking families down the tubes. That's the ugly truth of Trickle Down economics.

Meanwhile, we have dairy farmers destroying milk, poultry and hog farmers destroying livestock, food banks short of food, while millions of unemployed people are lining up in food lines, and can't pay their rent.

We have about 5% of the world's population, but 1/3 of all covid infections, and 1/4 of all deaths. Trump is wrong-- it's not because we're doing more testing than any other nation, we've barely tested 2% per capita. pfft

WTF is wrong with this picture? American Exceptionalism my ass.