Thread: What is wrong with the criminal loving UK?

Default What is wrong with the criminal loving UK?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...-west-52018558

"A man who killed an armed robber after he turned up at his house demanding money has been jailed for five years.

Patrick Phinn, 49, stabbed Ronald Pattison 17 times at his home in Easterhouse, Glasgow, in September 2018.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Pattison, who had a knife, had threatened to kill Phinn and his partner.

A fight broke out and Phinn grabbed a knife which he used to stab Pattison."

What the fuck? A dude breaks into your home armed with a deadly weapon and threatens you and your partner and you defend yourself. And then you go to jail? Holy shit what a fucked up country.

You're allowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself, I've not read anything about this case and hadn't heard it but stabbing him seventeen times seems maybe a tad unreasonable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    You're allowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself, I've not read anything about this case and hadn't heard it but stabbing him seventeen times seems maybe a tad unreasonable?
    If you are the victim of an attack where the opponent is armed are you going to stab him a few times and then see if he's down or not? Like come on. Also 'stab wounds' can be of varying degrees bad. Some people have survived more stab wounds depending on location. And finally if you are in a fight why do people think you are going to be 100% rational? Adrenalin and fear are a powerful mix. This wasn't some trained special forces dude this was some random bloke who was just confronted by a murderous psycho. How is society better off with him in jail?

Thanks for taking my mind off state-designated quarantines and "essential business" guidelines. Federalism for the win, wtf is wrong with other countries?

I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt to those who defended themselves but a jury saw the evidence and decided it was too much. I've not seen the evidence. Seventeen stab wounds is a lot.

Personally I'd have been inclined to acquit without seeing the evidence but if there's evidence the stabbing continued once the intruder was down then that isn't ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Plus, this wasn't a stranger intrusion. They were known to each other. The defendant left the house after receiving the threat of murder from the victim and advised by his wife not to return. He did return 30 minutes later which is when the fight ensued.

All mitigations, but from what I can see the sentence is still harsh.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-26-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.