Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measles outbreaks linked to stupid cunts who don't get their children vaccinated

Default Measles outbreaks linked to stupid cunts who don't get their children vaccinated

Measles Resurgence Tied To Parents' Vaccine Fears
    by Richard Knox

A generation ago, up to 4 million U.S. children got measles every year. Hundreds died, and thousands were left with permanent brain damage. Thanks to vaccination, those days are over, at least in this hemisphere. But health officials worry about the growing number of children who are vulnerable when somebody brings measles from another part of the world.

It happens regularly. Vancouver is trying to contain a measles outbreak sparked when foreign travelers visited for the Olympics, carrying two different measles viruses from Asia.

The first recognized infections — in two Canadians and a visiting American — occurred around the Olympic closing ceremonies. "Downtown Vancouver was shoulder-to-shoulder on many days of that period," notes Dr. Monika Naus of the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control.

So far, measles has spread to 16 people in Vancouver, Naus says. Half of them are in one large unvaccinated household. The parents reject vaccination.

"It's not a religious issue," Naus says. "A friend of the family who had anti-vaccination sentiments was influential in convincing them not to get vaccinated."

Many parents who refuse to get their children vaccinated worry that vaccines — and the one for measles, mumps and rubella in particular — cause autism. It's a belief that persists despite years of studies and expert panels that find no scientific link.

Health officials say there are growing pockets of vaccine refusers in communities across the land. The numbers are not great. But these pockets of "intentionally unvaccinated" children give the virus more opportunities to spread when it does arrive.

And even if the number of measles cases in each outbreak is kept small, the arrival of measles disrupts lives and forces public health officials into high gear to contain the damage.

Ask Karen Waters-Montijo, chief of immunization at the San Diego County health agency. She and her colleagues, including officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, write about the impact of a 2008 measles outbreak in the April issue of the journal Pediatrics.

Waters remembers the February day when a public health nurse called to report a confirmed case of measles: a 7-year-old boy who had picked up the virus during a family trip to Switzerland.

As unlikely as it seems, Switzerland is one of those European countries where measles vaccination rates have fallen considerably below 95 percent — the level public health officials say is necessary to prevent measles from circulating in the community.

When Waters heard about the case, she says, "I just about fell off my chair. The child had two siblings, attended public school. The family wasn't vaccinated. And in fact, there were a lot of unvaccinated children at the school, as well."

They were "intentionally unvaccinated," meaning their parents had filed Personal Beliefs Exemption forms to opt out of the vaccinations that are required for schoolchildren. Parents of almost 10 percent of the students at Patient Zero's school had signed PBE forms.

That may not sound like much. But no virus is more contagious than measles. "If a measles-infected person walks into a room with 10 uninfected people," says Dr. David Sugerman of the CDC, "nine of them will get infected."

Moreover, anyone who goes into that room within the next two hours after the infected person has left is likely to get measles, too.

So Waters and her colleagues were alarmed when they learned that it had taken a week before the measles infection of Patient Zero was diagnosed. In the meantime, he had exposed many people in doctors offices and clinic waiting rooms, as well as in school. He had also infected his siblings, and they had exposed many others.

"It was slow to be recognized, and there's a good reason for that," Waters says. "We hardly ever see any measles cases. Most doctors have never seen a case." Once the first patient was diagnosed, moreover, health authorities were slow to be notified.

Once they found out, health authorities kicked into gear, tracing everybody who came into contact with the first cases — and everybody who was in contact with them. That net captured people who got exposed (and, in some instances, infected) at supermarkets, circus performances, fairgrounds and a Hawaii-bound airplane.

It added up to 839 people. Of those, 73 were unvaccinated children — 25 whose parents chose not to get them vaccinated, and 48 children under 12 months who were too young to be vaccinated.

To limit the spread of the virus, San Diego County officials asked parents of those 73 children to keep them at home. Many of them were pretty unhappy about that.

"Imagine, you start off on a normal day," Waters says, "and you're getting ready to drop your child off at their child care place, and you're greeted by a public health nurse who says your child has been exposed to measles, and we'd like you to go home and be there for the next three weeks while we monitor you for symptoms."

Parents of exposed children who believed in vaccination were incredulous and angry, she says: "They said, 'What do you mean, people don't get vaccinated? Why is this happening?' "

In the end, the San Diego outbreak was confined to a dozen children. No big deal, you might think — except that it upended a lot of lives, and the county spent $10,000 for each of those cases in order to keep the virus from spreading more widely. That, and the fact that more than 95 percent of the general population was immune, kept the outbreak far more limited than the previous San Diego measles outbreak in 1991, when there were 1,000 cases and three deaths.

Afterward, Waters and her colleagues looked into who the vaccine refusers were and what their attitudes toward vaccination were.

They're college educated, higher-income and believers in the power of a "natural" lifestyle — things like organic food and prolonged breast-feeding — to keep their children's immunity strong enough to ward off vaccine-preventable diseases.

And they just don't believe it when government officials like Karen Waters say vaccines don't cause autism.

"It is wrapped up in their attitudes about government," Waters says. "I don't think they think I'm the enemy. I think they think I'm well-intended but misinformed."

Many communities have pockets of vaccine refusers. So the United States and other countries with growing numbers of "intentionally unvaccinated" people are likely to see more outbreaks.

There's bound to be occasional importation of measles from countries with circulating virus. These aren't only developing nations; they include Ireland, Germany, Israel, Japan and the United Kingdom, where measles had been eliminated until large numbers of parents started opting out of vaccination programs.

CDC officials are watching the Vancouver outbreak closely, as neighboring Washington state has sizable populations of vaccine refusers.

"If measles crossed the border into those populations, there's a potential for a sizable outbreak," says Dr. Jane Seward of the CDC.

Back in San Diego, Karen Waters is still trying to persuade skeptical parents to get their children vaccinated. She says refusers are not bad guys in this drama.

"You know, these are very nice people," she says. "They care a lot about children, as I do. We all want safe vaccines. We all want healthy children, and we all want answers about autism. It's unfortunate there's a group of people who are off on this track, that believe vaccines are at the root of this problem."

So far Waters hasn't changed many minds. She knows of a thousand families who have refused to get their kindergartners vaccinated. That's 100 more since that last San Diego measles outbreak.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125570056

So, who's surprised?

Idiots.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I really don't see the problem here. Seems to me like morons who don't get vaccinated are only going to be able to infect other morons who don't get vaccinated. Natural selection at work.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

$10,000 a case, cause the parents wanted to be idiots and signed "Personal Beliefs Exemption forms" to opt out of the vaccinations that are required for schoolchildren. Make those parents pick up the tab, and the tab for others who were infected.

Really gets to you that the children likely didn't have a say in the matter, especially the ones that were to young for the vaccine. What about when these kids grow up, are they going to remember they never got a measles shot when they entered elementary school?

Those idiots jumped on the vaccines cause autism bandwagon.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    I really don't see the problem here. Seems to me like morons who don't get vaccinated are only going to be able to infect other morons who don't get vaccinated. Natural selection at work.
    The problems are the morons who don't let their children get vaccinated, and also because they compromise the herd immunity, which increases the risks considerably for those with legitimate medical reasons for going unvaccinated.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The problems are the morons who don't let their children get vaccinated, and also because they compromise the herd immunity, which increases the risks considerably for those with legitimate medical reasons for going unvaccinated.
    Another part of the problem is the virus has a greater chance to mutate into something that can infect people who are inoculated if there are more people who can become infected by the current disease for which there are vaccines...

Also stupidity isn't completely an inheritable trait so it doesn't further natural selection so much...
    . . .

I've had all those diseases--measles, mumps and rubella. Also chicken pox (varicella). We used to have these childhood "parties" to get exposed, so we could get it over with faster. Mumps was pretty miserable.

Measles isn't as dangerous as rubella, for pregnant women that can give unborn babies nasty birth defects. All this was before the vaccines were available. I remember getting polio vaccine in a sugar cube, and we had polio kids in school in leg braces. My mom used to work with the iron lungs during the polio epidemic.

Yes, vaccinations are important. Kids can't start public kindergarten here without them (I don't think they get a 'religious exemption' but not quite sure). Was surprised they added varicella to the mandatory list, though.

oh yeah, I also have a smallpox scar. But then, I'm older than dirt.

I had Chicken Pox once, gave it to my sister right before we took a week long road trip

Dad had polio shortly after he was born, spent the first 4 years of his life in a hospital. At least, I think thats how I remember it.

While I do think there are many vaccines that you might be able to avoid having to get, not taking a MMR vaccine is straight up dumb. The vaccine has been around for so long, and helped so many, to blame it on autism is ignorant.
    I do believe there are thimerosol (sp) free shots that you can get for these, eliminating the "possible" autism issue, if you are really concerned about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Except that the article mentions in the SD outbreak that more than 2/3 of the at-risk kids were unvaccinated because they were still too young for it.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Except that the article mentions in the SD outbreak that more than 2/3 of the at-risk kids were unvaccinated because they were still too young for it.
    But is that really such a problem? I thought the problem with measles was that it gets more dangerous if it happens later in life?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    But is that really such a problem? I thought the problem with measles was that it gets more dangerous if it happens later in life?
    I'm not overly familiar with the disease, but an infection that's more dangerous to adults than young children strikes me as fairly odd. I do know that it was a leading cause of child mortality in developed countries before it was mostly stamped out.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Chickenpox is famous for more being more dangerous to adults than to children...

Mumps in men can cause sterility....

OG, most adults have had chicken pox, but a 2nd exposure is called shingles. To elderly that can be really serious.

Not what I was referring to GGT. Adults that have managed childhood without catching chicken pox suffer from more complications when they do catch it.

I'm not overly familiar with the disease, but an infection that's more dangerous to adults than young children strikes me as fairly odd. I do know that it was a leading cause of child mortality in developed countries before it was mostly stamped out.
    I was partly right, infants and adults with measles show a higher mortality rate than young children with measles.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Not what I was referring to GGT. Adults that have managed childhood without catching chicken pox suffer from more complications when they do catch it.
    Ah, it says 80-90% had chicken pox by age 10 before the vaccine. But yes generally "childhood diseases" are more dangerous for adults and infants.

By the way, have all you adults had your whooping cough and tetanus boosters? I mean, if you're really concerned about getting needed vaccinations and all....

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The problems are the morons who don't let their children get vaccinated
    Right, that's the natural selection part - allow the stupid and their spawn to select themselves out of the gene pool, especially when it's voluntary.

Well, if your kids gonna die, better it happen early on, before you've got a chance to become all emotionally attached.

Though in all honesty, it sounds like mountains out of molehills to me. What the mortality rate for measles? 0.3%, according to the article... sounds like its on par with the mortality rate for the flu.
    Last edited by CitizenCain; 04-07-2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: tpyos
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Bumping because Andrew Wakefield is being struck from the Medical Register!

*dances merrily in the streets*

Now if only we could go after the mainstream media for their role in promoting this scare...
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

The recent news stories I've read on this expulsion suggest that he was kicked out more as a result of the consequences of his research than for his unethical methodological techniques. Is that true?
    Hope is the denial of reality

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8695267.stm
    The doctor who first suggested a link between MMR vaccinations and autism is to be struck off the medical register.

The General Medical Council found Dr Andrew Wakefield guilty of serious professional misconduct over the way he carried out his controversial research.

It follows a GMC ruling earlier this year that he had acted unethically.

Dr Wakefield, who is now based in the US, has consistently claimed the allegations are unfair. He now says he will appeal against the verdict.

His 1998 Lancet study caused vaccination rates to plummet, resulting in a rise in measles - but the findings were later discredited.

The GMC ruled in January Dr Wakefield had acted "dishonestly and irresponsibly" in conducting his research, but under its procedures the sanctions are made at a later date.

The case did not investigate whether Dr Wakefield's findings were right or wrong, instead it focused on the methods of research.
    During the two-and-a-half-year case, the longest in GMC history, he was accused of carrying out invasive tests on vulnerable children which were against their best interests.

The GMC also said Dr Wakefield, who was working at London's Royal Free Hospital as a gastroenterologist at the time, did not have the ethical approval or relevant qualifications for such tests.

And the panel hearing the case took exception with the way he gathered blood samples. Dr Wakefield paid children £5 for the samples at his son's birthday party.

It also said Dr Wakefield should have disclosed the fact that he had been paid to advise solicitors acting for parents who believed their children had been harmed by the MMR.

Serious misconduct

In making the verdict on the sanctions, Dr Surendra Kumar, the panel's chairman, said Dr Wakefield had "brought the medical profession into disrepute" and his behaviour constituted "multiple separate instances of serious professional misconduct".

In total, he was found guilty of more than 30 charges.
    Dr Kumar also explained the reasoning for striking Dr Wakefield off.

"The panel concluded that it is the only sanction that is appropriate to protect patients and is in the wider public interest, including the maintenance of public trust and confidence in the profession, and is proportionate to the serious and wide-ranging findings made against him."

Dr Wakefield has consistently claimed the allegations against him were "unfounded and unjust".

As the GMC announced its sanctions, Dr Wakefield said: "Efforts to discredit and silence me through the GMC process have provided a screen to shield the government from exposure on the MMR vaccine scandal."

Two of his former colleagues at the Royal Free were also ruled to have broken guidelines.

Professor John Walker-Smith and Professor Simon Murch both helped Dr Wakefield carry out the research.

Professor Walker-Smith, who is 73 and has been retired for the past 10 years, was found guilty of serious professional misconduct and struck off the register. Professor Murch was found not guilty of serious professional misconduct despite there not being ethical approval for the research.

In explaining this decision, Dr Kumar said he took into account the fact that Professor Murch stopped carrying out tests on children for the study because he did not think they were necessary.

Professor Terence Stephenson, president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, said the scare over the vaccine had done "untold damage to the UK vaccination programme".

"We cannot stress too strongly that all children and young people should have the MMR vaccine."

The Department of Health reiterated this. A spokesman said: "The safety of MMR has been endorsed through numerous studies in many countries."
    Bad doctor was bad.

Ah, so newspapers being stupid as usual.

Am I missing something? How are newspapers responsible?

He means for inaccurate reporting of the guy being suspended, probably.

Though given the sensationalist way they report science news they're hardly blameless in the overall case either.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    All the stories I've read claimed that the expulsion was over the effect of this guy's work on vaccination rates, with only a brief mention over his unethical methods.

Given how often you harangue me over scientific methods, how well versed do you reckon your average newspaper reader will be on that particular subject?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

This is why I use newspaper science stories as existence claims only (i.e. that something happened). I have you to tell me just how inaccurate the story is.

I was concerned about the quality of science in Britain if a guy was kicked out due to his research, though I was fairly sure the papers weren't reporting accurately.

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    This happened mainly in the UK but the press there constantly paraded Wakefields research (and that of other anti-vaccinationists) against vaccines for more than a decade. And as that research was proved false did they report that they were wrong? Like fuck they did. Wakefield's paper started the mess but it's the media that truly acted irresponsibly in their reporting of the issues.

Except for Brian Deer, that guy deserves a medal.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

there's an early episode of House where he berates some idiot hippy parent for not vaccinating her kid. He uses a frog and his funny voice for the scene.
    It's funny, it's true and it should be compulsory watching for everyone because Hugh Laurie rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Ivan80 View Post
    there's an early episode of House where he berates some idiot hippy parent for not vaccinating her kid. He uses a frog and his funny voice for the scene.
    It's funny, it's true and it should be compulsory watching for everyone because Hugh Laurie rocks.
    What did he use the Frenchy for?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?