Thread: Freedom Matters

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Freedom Matters

Wanted to take the covid-19 pandemic in another direction.

"Live Free or Die" and "Don't Tread on Me" come to mind. They're American sayings that reflect the Individualism that's an inherent part of our Constitution....but don't necessarily represent the ideals for the Common Good, let alone the *United States* as a Republic.

I'll probably get bad grades from Loki for how I framed the democracy dilemma, but I still want to hear how people conceptualize this.

For example, I have no problem with gov't agencies limiting religious services during a global pandemic, and don't think that's undermining "freedom of religion", but others vehemently disagree and continue to hold religious services where hundreds of people gather.....and then return to the community at large.

I think it's delusional and dangerous to disregard science and presume that religious Faith gives them immunity. Policies that give religious "exemptions" are just as bad.

Also, I'd love to protest right about now, but understand that large gatherings are prohibited, for good reasons. WI voting aside, I wondered how others are squaring these competing "freedom" principles....
    Last edited by GGT; 04-08-2020 at 01:23 AM.