Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Clown Circus

Don't forget ferry companies without ships. Combined with the fact your government had to settle for 33 million pounds because those contracts were awarded illegally.. I am not sure if you should be giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That was ridiculous and not ending a pandemic so different logic applies.

It was also from memory the previous government not this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeah....but....didn't -this- government want the man responsible for that farce to be Chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    That was ridiculous and not ending a pandemic so different logic applies.

It was also from memory the previous government not this one.
    Same party, and also after rushing because or urgency, so I'd say it's relevant.

Or take Steely's examples of faulty equipment and materials being delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    Yeah....but....didn't -this- government want the man responsible for that farce to be Chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee?
    I never supported that. That man is an incompetent twerp and I'm glad he failed to get that post.

Flixy it may be same party but it is a different government, and through the pandemic the priority with PPE has been to get enough materials and ensure they're of the right quality standards. Yes some batches have failed testing - and that includes materials bought from China, Turkey and other places as well as domestically - and that has been redeployed to other areas where it doesn't need to be medical grade.

The priority was rightly to ensure we have enough materials, if they had reacted slower and nurses had died due to a lack of PPE do you think Steely would be happier then? Or is it any excuse to have a whinge?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I think the valid question is whether all suppliers got an equal chance, whether the minimum due diligence was done, and whether connections of the government got preferential treatment. I see stories like this but don't know if there are 2 such contracts or 200, if 200 then it's obviously less surprising some are linked to friends of the government.

But especially in times like these the opportunity for corruption is huge because of the reduced oversight due to rushing, so I don't think it's a bad idea to look back and ensure there was no corruption or conflict of interests.

I think the priority you say is fine, but I'm not so naive to think nobody will try to abuse that.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I'm sure if any existing companies capable of producing millions of goods were rejected a contract then that will go viral.
    You stupid fucker. If there's no open tender then there are no rejections because you can only be rejected if you were able to apply.

This is epically fucking stupid.

Are you by any chance related to those bureaucrats from the beginning of HHGTTG?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    You stupid fucker. If there's no open tender then there are no rejections because you can only be rejected if you were able to apply.

This is epically fucking stupid.

Are you by any chance related to those bureaucrats from the beginning of HHGTTG?
    Everyone was able to apply you fucking moron.

I already covered that. Guess it didn't penetrate your obnoxiously thick skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I think the valid question is whether all suppliers got an equal chance, whether the minimum due diligence was done, and whether connections of the government got preferential treatment. I see stories like this but don't know if there are 2 such contracts or 200, if 200 then it's obviously less surprising some are linked to friends of the government.

But especially in times like these the opportunity for corruption is huge because of the reduced oversight due to rushing, so I don't think it's a bad idea to look back and ensure there was no corruption or conflict of interests.

I think the priority you say is fine, but I'm not so naive to think nobody will try to abuse that.
    Yes there were hundreds of contracts signed. Here is a balanced article from the FT about it: https://www.ft.com/content/c0d439c8-...5-da2bc0f18567

Yes there were hundreds of contracts signed. Here is a balanced article from the FT about it: https://www.ft.com/content/c0d439c8-...5-da2bc0f18567
    That does put the amounts in perspective yes. Though interesting to note, since it's an older article, they mention the biggest deal as one steely mentioned later turned out to be unusable and potentially corrupt. And compared to 5.5bn, 250m is still a lot.

Yeah that's super dumb I would've offered to give them just as many masks for half that (paid upfront of course).
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

https://www.polygon.com/pages/ethics-statement

Unless specifically on a writer's profile page, Polygon staffers do not cover companies (1) in which they have a financial investment, (2) that have employed them previously or (3) employ the writer's spouse, partner or someone else with whom the writer has a close relationship. When a Polygon contributor has affiliations of prior employment experience that would represent a material conflict of interest with their reporting, that information will be disclosed in context or footnotes of that piece.
    Expecting government ministers responsible spending billions of pounds of public money to follow the same ethical rules as people who review video games is Orwellianist Marxism.
    Who can now look back with a sense of pride?

There was an interesting debate in Parliament on the subject of PPE contracts today, the government confirmed a couple of things I thought - notably that thanks to these contracts the country now has a stable supply of PPE, a stockpile of four months supply being stored in case it is needed and domestic production is up from 1% to 70% of supply.

Also explicitly mentioned was that there were a number of factors that suppliers were examined for, one of the key ones being volume. Which was intuitive to me that it would make sense and I guessed a few posts ago but interesting to see that hunch confirmed. Makes the farcical comparison of a potential supplier offering thousands of gowns versus an actual supplier who have delivered tens of millions of them look even more patently absurd and moronic.

Steely your Polygon comparison is ridiculous since you're contrasting an individual Polygon staffer with the collective government. I would absolutely expect any individual government minister to recuse themselves from any decisions with which they have a financial investment etc - but a different government minister certainly could approve such a deal if it is in the national interest. Just as if an individual Polygon staffer has prior involvement then a different Polygon staffer could review the game. Also government ministers are obliged to disclose potential conflicts of interest too, the register of interests is in the public domain.

Covid: Watchdog urges government to ‘come clean’ over deals

The government was not transparent about suppliers and services when it scrambled to award £18bn worth of Covid-19 contracts, the public spending watchdog has said.

The National Audit Office (NAO) found firms recommended by MPs, peers and ministers' offices were given priority.

It said there was inadequate explanation of key decisions, such as why particular suppliers were chosen.

Nor was enough done to address potential conflicts of interest.

Meg Hillier, chairwoman of the Commons Public Accounts Committee, called for ministers to "come clean" and publish all information about the contracts awarded.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 11-18-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Obviously Rand subscribes to Trumpism. As longs as his party gets what he wants, the rest can fuck right off.

Shortsighted, arrogant and a receipe for disaster. But, hey, as long as he got his, fuck the rest. Who needs the rule of law?

Borderline "Irish accents"

“Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Fabricant is a prat in general and always has been.

Though he's right for once on this subject.

The Tories don't tolerate racism in the same way the Labour Party illegally did.

Swing and a miss, Irish accents style.
    — Bill Gates

Your obsession over accents is bizarre.

Interesting that you've had a change of heart, but that doesn't change the fact that you missed the point here.
    — Bill Gates

What change of heart?

And if you think there's a point I've missed then you say what it is. You are capable of using your own words aren't you?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...t-confiscation

Could also go into the Kafka thread. WTF, though.