Thread: The Clown Circus

Sweet jesus, I thought you were joking
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

I never joke.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Anyone here ever wonders about what RandBlade 's thoughts about the entertainment are?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Anyone here ever wonders about what RandBlade 's thoughts about the entertainment are?
    Difficult to think when you're under the influence of copium

Even after all that has happened in England over the past six years, I can scarcely believe the stuff coming out of govt & parliament on an hourly basis rn
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Deputy PM is happy they won the vote, so I guess they've got that going for them.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The revenge of the colonies will continue until the diamonds are returned

Heh, my newspaper summarized Truss' premiership quite effectively in one word, 'disastrous'. How to ruin your legacy in 45 days, I suppose.

So now the same people who chose her as the PM Gerry another go I assume? Curious to see what disaster they will pick this time.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Personal rule by Charles III is starting to look like the better option.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Personal rule by Charles III is starting to look like the better option.
    No need to overturn the constitutional order, the lettuce will be an excellent interim PM

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

So the whole thing was a deep game by Boris to show the party how much they need his leadership. How is it they're still in power again? Just how much have Labor and the Lib-Dems been fucking things up that they haven't managed to kick the Tories out in the last 12 years?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

A British comedian complained today Westminster is making his job impossible.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    So the whole thing was a deep game by Boris to show the party how much they need his leadership. How is it they're still in power again? Just how much have Labor and the Lib-Dems been fucking things up that they haven't managed to kick the Tories out in the last 12 years?
    Labour; being high jacked by a Marxist and anti-semetic fringe first and then taken back by party apparatchiks (sp) who wouldn't know a plan if you'd slap them in the face wirh it.

LibDem; was in a coalition government with the Conservatives and was never forgiven for behaving like a partner in a coalition government (they were supposed to behave like petulant twats with nothing but red lines to effectively make a coalition government impossible)
    Congratulations America

The truth is that, like most centre right parties, Tories do politics on easy mode. They have to really fuck up to get kicked out of office.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    They have to really fuck up to get kicked out of office.
    And they have been doing so with consistency since at least 2016.

Maybe your opposition parties should swallow their pride and stop playing on Hard Mode?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

The new rules for the leadership race are that people wanting to stand for leader need 100 MPs to support them before Monday, which is honestly a pretty tight deadline. Probably the funniest outcome is if no on candidate is able to get a 100 MPs. But more likely the candidates have been arranged already. Maybe even just one candidate.

And they have been doing so with consistency since at least 2016.
    They've actually been fucking up consistently since 2010. What's new is that the consequences of those fuck ups now make themselves apparent within days or in some cases hours rather than taking years or decades to play out, so even the Tory client media can't try and blame them on elves or pixies or whatever: not that some of them didn't try.

EDIT: this time the also directly harmed the financial interests of their own base; which is primarily home owners and pensioners. bit of a no-no.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The curse of eternal Tory leadership is the curse of plurality voting with an aging electorate.

The new rules for the leadership race are that people wanting to stand for leader need 100 MPs to support them before Monday, which is honestly a pretty tight deadline. Probably the funniest outcome is if no on candidate is able to get a 100 MPs. But more likely the candidates have been arranged already. Maybe even just one candidate.

They've actually been fucking up consistently since 2010. What's new is that the consequences of those fuck ups now make themselves apparent within days or in some cases hours rather than taking years or decades to play out, so even the Tory client media can't try and blame them on elves or pixies or whatever: not that some of them didn't try.

EDIT: this time the also directly harmed the financial interests of their own base; which is primarily home owners and pensioners. bit of a no-no.
    Isn't Tory membership from their own base? They picked Truss on this shitstorm platform, they really have only themselves to blame.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Well, they're not smart people. But perhaps it's not fair to expect grass roots members to have the knowledge of macroeconomics to predict just how quickly and negatively the markets would react to the mini-budget?

If you'd shown me the budget before hand I'd have told you it was a dumb idea on general principles, because tax cuts for the rich do not lead to higher wages or wider prosperity.

But what I wouldn't have been able to tell you that the markets were going to go ape-shit and crash the pound within a matter of hours, which would cause the Bank of England to hike interest rates, which is what caused the current, specific economic crisis that caused Truss's government to collapse and directly harmed Tory voters. That would require a level of working knowledge of the current state of the market and government finances that it's not realistic to expect most people to have if they don't deal with that stuff on a daily basis, and it wasn't an unreasonable assumption that Truss and Kwarteng had done their sums before they presented their platform, irregardless of whether or not their general ideas behind that platform are garbage. Hell, Tory MPs cheered the budget when it was first announced. They thought it was great.

In short: even if you're a big enough dumbass to believe in trickle-down economics, you still have the right to be annoyed at how fucking stupid what Truss and Kwarteng did was.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The fierceness of the market reaction was a bit unexpected, but it was not just a reaction to the silliness of trickle down economic thinking. The bigger problem was that it was based in the idea that the UK could afford more borrowing against a growing economy where the world at large and Europe in particular can only expect some type of recession. It was fundamentally unsound fiscal policies that crashed the currency and trust in government debt.
    Congratulations America

The fierceness of the market reaction was a bit unexpected, but it was not just a reaction to the silliness of trickle down economic thinking. The bigger problem was that it was based in the idea that the UK could afford more borrowing against a growing economy where the world at large and Europe in particular can only expect some type of recession. It was fundamentally unsound fiscal policies that crashed the currency and trust in government debt.
    They could have announced spending cuts with their minibudgets. Terrible policy, but the markets don't give a shit about that, only that they don't think there is going to be unsustainable borrowing.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And then the clown dropped out, claiming he had enough supporters.
    Congratulations America

They could have announced spending cuts with their minibudgets. Terrible policy, but the markets don't give a shit about that, only that they don't think there is going to be unsustainable borrowing.
    They could have. But they wanted to be popular.
    Congratulations America

And then the clown dropped out, claiming he had enough supporters.
    It makes me happy that Tory MP's who called on him to resign the first time around suddenly claiming he's the best person for the job have publicly humiliated themselves for absolutely no reason.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

England—the curse will continue until you return the artifacts

Aren't his parents immigrants?

Rishi Sunak, Hypocrite, Privileged or Both
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Aren't his parents immigrants?

Rishi Sunak, Hypocrite, Privileged or Both
    Certainly. But were they refugees?

The one thing I've learned from the members on this board is that FYIGM might as well be the UKs motto.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-24-2022 at 10:50 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."