Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: The Clown Circus

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Is that a record?
    Those letters don't have to be made public, so its unknown.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Brexit thread doses of copium
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

How did the conservative party think this was the best option? And it's not like this is a surprise, Truss ran on this platform, was warned this would happen. Everybody knew these plans were crap, yet they chose her anyway.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I have to admin I didn't follow the Tory leadership contest as closely as I should. After years of Johnson, I think I was just burned out on thinking about Tories. So, I don't know exactly what she was setting out in the leadership contest, but I imagine it was something like "we knew she'd do tax cut, but not these tax cuts in this way".

The other issue is that after Johnson there's really no clear, obvious successor, which was part of the reason Johnson was able to hang on as long as he did. So it's likely that many of them knew she would be bad, they just thought the other options would be worse. Plus, there is a segment of the party that is fully behind what she is doing. There's a reason the Mail and Express are out there running interference for her, or trying to while the rest of the right wing press are joining in with the chorus of 'omg wtf' for the rest of the media.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

A core tenet of Tory leadership is that Tories can fuck around without having to find out. I think the party as a whole had grown so accustomed to just getting away with fucking around that they were taken completely by surprise when their actions suddenly turned out to have real and very dramatic consequences for themselves and the interests they serve. You can only treat credibility as a confidence game for so long before you're found out. Though markets clearly see Tories' lack of credibility for what it is, I think influential Tories still don't understand just how low the world's regard is for their financial panto.

Pretty sure the interests the Tory's server are just fine with what's happening.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And as a bonus question, how is it democratic to have a PM who wasn't voted in as the party leader and is running a completely different platform from the one her party ran on during the previous election?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    And as a bonus question, how is it democratic to have a PM who wasn't voted in as the party leader and is running a completely different platform from the one her party ran on during the previous election?
    It's not.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

A senior Conservative has admitted that he and the chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng attended a private champagne reception with hedge fund managers at the home of a Conservative donor on the same day he delivered his mini-budget.

The chancellor is alleged to have given guests information about forthcoming government spending cuts during the event at the west London home of Andrew Law, a financier, on the evening of Friday 23 September.

Kwarteng’s mini-budget earlier in the day, which introduced a £45bn package of tax cuts that will mostly benefit the richest fifth of households, triggered economic turmoil. Sterling collapsing to its lowest level against the dollar since 1985 and the Bank of England was forced to act to save pension funds.

The Conservative party chair, Jake Berry, said the drinks reception was not unusual and that property developers had also been present.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hampagne-party

Least corrupt Tory
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The tax "cuts" are mostly not going through with a planned increase in the regressive payroll tax, innit?

So is the bond market freakout about the lack of tax increases or the insane level of spending behind the energy subsidy bill? One seems 10x larger than the other.

Wait till you see what the Labour spending plans are.

It's because the tax cuts aren't funded, so the markets are predicting an increase in government borrowing.

Now that I've answered your (easily googleable) question, could you answer mine; what's with the scare quotes around "cut"?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The tax "cuts" on a static basis are about the same "size" as the energy subsidies. Both are unfunded on a static basis.

But I say "cut" because it's unusual to call revoking a planned tax increase as a cut. While statutorily it's a cut, many components are really maintaining the current tax levels.

What are you on about? They're scrapping the 45p top rate of income tax, cutting the base rate by 1p, lifting the stamp duty threshhold to 250k and lowering NI contributions. The only planned increase that was scrapped was the corporation tax hike.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 10-02-2022 at 11:39 PM.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Hunt.
    FFS.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

the writers are outta control this season

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    the writers are outta control this season
    Disagree, they're running out of ideas, this is literally the third time in a row they've used this story arc.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Major new domestic policy initiative from the Tories to stop the economy collapsing: more austerity. Incredible scenes. Never before seen move.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Imagine how effective they could be if they had some understanding of economics.

So after another 180 on policy, still no new elections I assume?

I've seen polls showing the Tories on sub 20%, I haven't single one putting them over 25% since the start of the month. When Blair won in a landslide in '97 and put them into opposition for a decade, they got 30%. Absolutely no way they'll call an election, they'll get wiped out. They might not even be the second largest party.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Tories now applying a three line whip to oppose a commitment in their own 2019 manifesto, calling it a matter of confidence in the government.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

That's what you get when you fuck with tofu eaters.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

This is amazing.

Labour MP, the shadow Scottish secretary Ian Murray, tweeted that he had "never seen scenes like it" in the voting lobby.

He said he'd seen Business Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg shouting at his colleagues, whips "screaming at Tories", and "dragging people in".
    It was known that Jacob Rees Mogg was in favour of fracking but I don't think it was realized quite how much he loves fracking up until this point.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

BREAKING: Channel 4 news anchor Krishnan Guru-Murthy has called the Minster of State for Northern Ireland Steve Baker 'a cunt'. More as we get it.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come