Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: US protests against police violence

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    The statue had no place in 2020 UK. It needed to go.

I don't think anyone could make a reasonable case for it to remain standing.

But not like that. Do it within the frickin' law, mmm'k.
    The council can dredge it up, put it back in where it was and then 'officially' take it down if they like.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

They should.

[Indiana Jones]It belongs in a museum[/Indiana Jones]

Let's compromise; put up statues of all these sumbitches, and then, every year, on June 7th, we can hold a festival where said statues are pulled down, demolished with sledgehammers, and tossed into the nearest river.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I don't want statues that idolise naughty people that did naughty things.

Neither do I want them torn down by a mob.

I want petitions and lobbying. Then I want then moved to a museum, with the history and rationale for their removal clearly explained. That's the sexy way.

Violence by a mob against a statue is technically illegal but I struggle to give a shit about it.

Violence against individuals is far worse.
    Violence against businesses is far worse.

One person attacked is worse than every statue in the country getting pulled down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I agree with that. I worry however that whilst it's one statue now, it's looting, rioting and vigilantism next. But maybe I'm concerned unnecessary.

The Story Behind Bill Barr's Unmarked Federal Agents:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...=pocket-newtab

This should disturb everyone. Including those right-wing 'conservatives' who claim to care about Big Government, Federal over-reach, and The Constitution.

If not -- then they're using "Law & Order" to promote Authoritarianism. That's just as disturbing.

edit see Lewk and his statement that Mattis is 100% wrong.

The statue was covered up. Which makes me wonder why it takes so long to remove a shameful tribute to a man who made his money by trading people into slavery. A practice that had been discredited for decades in Britain by the time it went up. Just like with the Confederacy revivalist statues its mere existence was an insult to the descendants of the people he deprived of their freedom.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    They should.

[Indiana Jones]It belongs in a museum[/Indiana Jones]
    A museum for statues of people who did horrible things erected by people who were fully aware of the horrible things their heroes did? Or, how to offend people with bronze?
    Congratulations America

Most big cities in the UK have a museum full of local Interesting Things. It should be in one of those.

Nobody will remember this event in a few week's time, and that's a real shame. A museum is the perfect place to remember what happened and mark the great progress.

The statue was only a 100 or so years old, it's nothing special. There's older statues in my town you've never heard of.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You better believe I'll have opinions about those as well.

Looks like the whole world is protesting against police violence -- and institutional racism -- so it's not unique to the US.

What's different (and perhaps more important) is that the US has lost its moral authority in international influence. Kinda hard to tell authoritarian regimes what Democracy should look like when we're failing as role models. It just makes the US look like hypocritical bullies with tons of money, and reinforces The Ugly American stereotype of power over principle (or money over people).

Destroying ourselves from within? Everybody sing along now....there must be Fifty ways to leave your lover

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A self-described Ku Klux Klan leader has been arrested for allegedly driving his car into a group of Black Lives Matters protesters gathered on Sunday in the US state of Virginia.

Prosecutors say that Harry Rogers, 36, drove "recklessly" towards a protest in Henrico County, and "revved the engine" before driving into protesters.

Mr Rogers appeared in Henrico court on the outskirts of Richmond on Monday, facing charges of assault and battery.

A hate crime investigation is underway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

"*crrrrsh* We have, uh, apprehended a, uh, tactical bucket of gravel on a 69-12 sir *crrrk*"
    "Say again?"
    "Gravel, sir *chrrrrk*"
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

If he was a provocateur, then it is *incredibly* easy to provoke the police. Sort of the whole point of these protests?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

If he was a provocateur, then it is *incredibly* easy to provoke the police. Sort of the whole point of these protests?
    I think you are both missing the point that this is two different antifa members colluding together. There was the 75 year old provocateur, sure, but the real story is the 13.7 billion year old antifa accomplice, gravity. Gravity has been linked to millions of deaths, nearly all the attacks on the police, and even the destruction of the twin towers. Definitely a set up. We need to ACT NOW!

Gravity was an inside job.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

"*crrrrsh* We have, uh, apprehended a, uh, tactical bucket of gravel on a 69-12 sir *crrrk*"
    "Say again?"
    "Gravel, sir *chrrrrk*"
    At least thats comical ineptitude. Unlike the police that decided to slash the tires of every car in a supermarket parking lot so that the cars couldn't be used as weapons.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

They totally stole that bucket from someone's garden, or a construction site, so they could do that tweet.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I mean, I joke around but there's people in prison right now based solely on the word of a cop and they just fucking lie, constantly. It is blatant and shameless.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

At least thats comical ineptitude. Unlike the police that decided to slash the tires of every car in a supermarket parking lot so that the cars couldn't be used as weapons.
    This is so incredible, I don't know what to say.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    This is so incredible incredulous, I don't know what to say.
    Fixed
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Now Lewk will be torn between his love of and desire to protect property and his love of and desire to protect police.

If what is good for the goose is good for the gander can protesters now slash the tires of the police?

Y'all think I'm going to defend the police slashing tires in a parking lot? About as silly as blaming all 16K policing departments across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Y'all think I'm going to defend the police slashing tires in a parking lot? About as silly as blaming all 16K policing departments across the country.
    Fry em?

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    About as silly as blaming all 16K policing departments across the country.
    Sucks to get profiled, huh.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come