Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Bubba Smollett

  1. #1

    Default Bubba Smollett

    In fairness to Bubba, he apparently wasn't the one who reported the noose and supposedly never even saw it.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...arage-n1231951

    Conservatives are claiming this is the picture of the infamous "noose" and I'm not sure if that's true but without a picture saying otherwise...

    https://conservativeus.com/bubba-smo...ncident-video/

    What's the lesson here? Don't trust the media.

  2. #2
    Do you ever read your own stories? Everything reported was true. Yes, the noose was there for a year, but no one knew that before the investigation.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Do you ever read your own stories? Everything reported was true. Yes, the noose was there for a year, but no one knew that before the investigation.
    "Noose"

    Did you read the story and see the photograph of what people are saying it was?

  4. #4
    I have some reservations about passing this on since lewk is just a racist idiot looking for attention with threads like this. Also couldn't help but laugh at his whining concerning not trusting the news yet he shares a totally not biased at all shit hole site with unsubstantiated claims.

    My dad and his dad both spent some years on the track. My coworker is also a crew chief for some lower class family racing, the stuff you would see on the weekends at Sebring. So I still have a foot in the circles that have been stirred up by this event.

    Petty is very much holding NASCAR to the fire over this. And still pushing for fines or sanctions for the team that did put it up. First off, this is the south, everyone knows exactly what was left behind and what it means, even if the last team didn't know that the only black man driver in the organization would end up in that garage. Secondly, no one ties a noose to a garage door, anything less than a full loop means lots of banging, lifting and pointless effort.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-24-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,055
    There's really not a nigger in the world you don't hate Lewky?
    Trump: Lock him up.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I have some reservations about passing this on since lewk is just a racist idiot looking for attention with threads like this. Also couldn't help but laugh at his whining concerning not trusting the news yet he shares a totally not biased at all shit hole site with unsubstantiated claims.

    My dad and his dad both spent some years on the track. My coworker is also a crew chief for some lower class family racing, the stuff you would see on the weekends at Sebring. So I still have a foot in the circles that have been stirred up by this event.

    Petty is very much holding NASCAR to the fire over this. And still pushing for fines or sanctions for the team that did put it up. First off, this is the south, everyone knows exactly what was left behind and what it means, even if the last team didn't know that the only black man driver in the organization would end up in that garage. Secondly, no one ties a noose to a garage door, anything less than a full loop means lots of banging, lifting and pointless effort.
    LOL yes I'm sure the planned it a year ago. You are being ridiclious and you know it. I bet you believed at face value the Amarai Allen hoax. The Jussie Smollet hoax. The Covington hoax. Johnny Depp false allegations. You believed them all, didn't you?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    LOL yes I'm sure the planned it a year ago.
    I literally said it wasn't planned, doesn't make the message any less real.

    Why are you so god damn stupid?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I literally said it wasn't planned, doesn't make the message any less real.

    Why are you so god damn stupid?
    Violent spanking.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  9. #9


    So yeah, thats a straight up noose. NASCAR also searched all of their 1684 garage stalls and this was the only one (cause again, you always use a full loop here). Looking more and more like the last team had a racist idiot on it (or were complacent with it being there) and it just so happened to be the garage that Bubba's team was assigned.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post


    So yeah, thats a straight up noose. NASCAR also searched all of their 1684 garage stalls and this was the only one (cause again, you always use a full loop here). Looking more and more like the last team had a racist idiot on it (or were complacent with it being there) and it just so happened to be the garage that Bubba's team was assigned.
    Just so we are clear here, the premise you are putting forth is that a specific type of knot, irrespective of context is inherently racist? I can imagine any number of possibilities that don't involve racism. For instance I personally enjoy tying and practicing tying different types of knots - maybe a former team member was too, or perhaps at one point there was a toy or stuffed animal that was strung up as a joke - something I have seen in other work places. There are any number of possibilities that don't involve racism. Was it also racist to depict Brooks in the Shawshank Redemption committing suicide with a noose? Being so willing to jump to the conclusion that this was done because of racism is ridiculous. I am unwilling to concede that a particular knot formation is racist without additional context, and I am unsure why you would be.

  11. #11
    "The noose always means much more than a knot in a rope ... The noose was a tool used to kill people and, therefore, it is a threat -- it is violent speech... The noose has become the new burning cross."
    -"The Thirteenth Turn: A History of the Noose."

    As Petty already said, this is the south, people know exactly what this means.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    "The noose always means much more than a knot in a rope ... The noose was a tool used to kill people and, therefore, it is a threat -- it is violent speech... The noose has become the new burning cross."
    -"The Thirteenth Turn: A History of the Noose."

    As Petty already said, this is the south, people know exactly what this means.
    So regardless of context, a noose always means racism? Any spaghetti western where a white guy gets strung up is racist? Anybody who commits suicide with a noose is making a political statement? Do you not see the ridiculousness of this position?

    If a cross is hit by lightning and catches fire, is it also racist? If a child pulls a pillow case over their head, are they being racist?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    ...Anybody who commits suicide with a noose is making a political statement? ...
    Got any examples of someone using a noose to commit suicide.
    .

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Got any examples of someone using a noose to commit suicide.
    Sure?

    Believe it or not it is one of the most common ways to commit suicide.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    So regardless of context, a noose always means racism? Any spaghetti western where a white guy gets strung up is racist? Anybody who commits suicide with a noose is making a political statement? Do you not see the ridiculousness of this position?

    If a cross is hit by lightning and catches fire, is it also racist? If a child pulls a pillow case over their head, are they being racist?
    Someone making a noose for its intended purpose is one thing. Someone making a noose in a workplace and leaving it there is another matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Someone making a noose for its intended purpose is one thing. Someone making a noose in a workplace and leaving it there is another matter.
    So let us imagine that originally there was a (white) Stretch Armstrong that was strung up as a form of gallows humor, would that be an act of racism?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post


    So yeah, thats a straight up noose. NASCAR also searched all of their 1684 garage stalls and this was the only one (cause again, you always use a full loop here). Looking more and more like the last team had a racist idiot on it (or were complacent with it being there) and it just so happened to be the garage that Bubba's team was assigned.
    I'm reminded of that thing with DeSantis telling people not to "monkey" things up with Gillum. People know. You have to actively bang your head against a wall and turn your brain into galaxy brain mush to not hear some of these dog whistles. Which, I guess, is how some get their jollies? Anyway, what a Bors comic this is turning into.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    So let us imagine that originally there was a (white) Stretch Armstrong that was strung up as a form of gallows humor, would that be an act of racism?
    We don't know what happened or what you can imagine but we do know it was inappropriate and leaving it their at the very least was ignorant. At the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    We don't know what happened or what you can imagine but we do know it was inappropriate and leaving it their at the very least was ignorant. At the least.
    I'm not saying it wasn't potentially inappropriate, or even rooted in ignorance. For that matter I am not willing to say it was not flat out racist. All of those are valid possibilities. What I am saying is that without additional information or context it is foolish to assume any imagined scenario is the definite truth. Would it be inappropriate had this particular knot been tied by someone from a different culture, a culture that does not attribute the same symbolism to this knot? Would you still view it in the same light?

    What is telling are those who would seek to intentionally ascribe racist motivations and meaning to the event without knowing the context in which it took place. If the context was this noose was tied after the garage was assigned to the only black NASCAR driver, that has one context, but it does not seem that is the case. All that can be said at this time is that trying to read more into it without having additional information speaks only to the motivations and biases of the person doing the reading, and not to the person who originally tied the noose.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 06-26-2020 at 08:55 PM.

  20. #20
    Their feelings don't care about your facts.

  21. #21
    Your source is referring to this while you are quite aware that this discussion is referring this. Feel free to do some research into the actual subject matter at hand.
    .

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Your source is referring to this while you are quite aware that this discussion is referring this. Feel free to do some research into the actual subject matter at hand.
    Okay, I will bite.

    You realize that the hangman’s noose is a subset of noose, (see your own article, which in fact references the NASCAR incident in the general article on nooses) that is used most frequently in hanging in order to break the neck as opposed inducing death by strangulation. Now, I haven’t seen a breakdown of the million plus suicide deaths per year by specific knot/noose type, (please share your findings) but it stands to reason that a percentage of those deaths used the knot that is most commonly associated with a quick and painless death.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 06-26-2020 at 05:51 PM.

  23. #23
    As was already said, this is NASCAR, possibly the most profitable redneck enterprise the US has. People know exactly what the noose means.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    As was already said, this is NASCAR, possibly the most profitable redneck enterprise the US has. People know exactly what the noose means.
    No, this is where we disagree. People know what a noose can mean given the proper context. If you come across a cross burning on someones lawn, it is entirely possible that it was placed their intentionally and set alight in order to send a very specific threat to the home owner. It is also possible that the home owner placed the cross there themselves and it was recently struck by lightning. Without additional information drawing a conclusion and being unwilling to admit that you might be wrong, or have an incomplete understanding of the actual event is foolhardy. To say the noose is itself inherently one thing or another is ridiculous.

  25. #25
    Cross on lawn set afire by lightning. We have reached peak galaxy brain.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Cross on lawn set afire by lightning. We have reached peak galaxy brain.
    I believe you are purposefully being obtuse. The example was intentionally ridiculous. The point is without context drawing conclusions about intent is often difficult, if not impossible. If I see a transcript of a conversation where racial epithets are being used I might draw a conclusion about the meaning and intent of the individuals involved. I might even justifiably assume they are racists. If I later learn that it was a conversation between two black men using the epithet in a vastly different way than I had first surmised then it is safe to say I drew an erroneous conclusion. Context matters - and this is something you understand and know on a deep level. This is something you have argued for before. It is also something you are not permitting yourself to admit here because you are trying to confirm your biases.

  27. #27
    The "context" is that the noose was found right after NASCAR banned the confederate flag at its properties, when its only black driver (with Black Lives Matter painted on his car) made the request. You'd have to be obtuse to ignore that.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The "context" is that the noose was found right after NASCAR banned the confederate flag at its properties, when its only black driver (with Black Lives Matter painted on his car) made the request. You'd have to be obtuse to ignore that.
    Except my understanding is that the noose was there long before the garage was even assigned to that driver, or they banned the confederate flag. Does it make sense to investigate - absolutely - did the investigation turn up any evidence linking the noose to Bubba Wallace? No, it uncovered the opposite in fact. Is the noose evidence of anything at this point? Not without additional context.

  29. #29
    It absolutely made sense to investigate, based on the timing of events. That's the "context" that matters.

    OG can *also* be right about the racial undertones in NASCAR, and the south in general--- where people know exactly what a noose implies. No other garage used that particular knot as a door pull, so it wasn't some innocent mistake. An isolated event can be a "dog whistle" to white supremacists, that's how racism thrives.

    You're a smart and reasonable guy who can appreciate symbolism and cultural changes, right? So you should probably stop defending the noose as some innocent knot, and start recognizing that certain symbols are offensive (and even threatening) to black people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •