Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ongoing corruption of the DOJ

Important correction to both of you: the electoral college (and Senate, for that matter) currently favor the GOP voter distribution. It is not rigged or biased towards them on purpose. In the past it has benefited Democrats. The underlying theory does try to balance the needs of smaller/lower population states vs. the most populous ones, with varying success. But that has not always favored the GOP.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Important correction to both of you: the electoral college (and Senate, for that matter) currently favor the GOP voter distribution. It is not rigged or biased towards them on purpose. In the past it has benefited Democrats. The underlying theory does try to balance the needs of smaller/lower population states vs. the most populous ones, with varying success. But that has not always favored the GOP.
    It isn't an intentional bias as you frame it, it is a statistical one. As the electoral college system gives more emphasis to rural rather than urban areas for the reasons you give, there is a bias toward rural areas when correlated against per capita headcount. GOP voters are more prominent in rural areas, dems in more populous urban areas. This may have been different in the past as you allude to, on that point I have no idea. But on the present political map, there is a very clear statistical bias toward the GOP voter base due to their overriding prevalence in rural areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    It isn't an intentional bias as you frame it, it is a statistical one. As the electoral college system gives more emphasis to rural rather than urban areas for the reasons you give, there is a bias toward rural areas when correlated against per capita headcount. GOP voters are more prominent in rural areas, dems in more populous urban areas. This may have been different in the past as you allude to, on that point I have no idea. But on the present political map, there is a very clear statistical bias toward the GOP voter base due to their overriding prevalence in rural areas.
    The edge in the electoral college currently favors the GOP, but as recently as 2012 it did not. It comes and goes based on a lot of complex factors, demographic and otherwise.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...mocrats-again/
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Ok, consider me better educated.

So we could say that despite the current bias of the electoral system toward the GOP, they still lost this election.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Yup! Honestly in the past you've had Republicans complaining about how the EC is unfair and you need to change it.

That being said, I think the EC is ridiculous and should be changed. But that's not because of an irreversible partisan lean, just because I think it's undemocratic and distorts our politics in ways I don't particularly like.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Indeed, the entire electoral college system is biased toward the GOP voter base.
    To be honest I was talking more about voter suppression tactics employed by the GOP in the past years, and gerrymandering.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Sure, but I was specifically talking about these elections. Where, EC aside, most of the shenanigans messing with a fair election have come from the GOP side.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    To be honest I was talking more about voter suppression tactics employed by the GOP in the past years, and gerrymandering.
    Gerrymandering is a time honored bipartisan tradition, the GOP just controlled more state legislatures in the last wave election so they got better pickings. I do think that voter suppression efforts wrt voter ID laws and the like are definitely an explicit GOP strategy, though. Some people have been crediting Stacey Abrams work since the 2018 loss on Georgia flipping for Biden this year; I don't know if there's evidence to support that yet, but certainly Democratic GOTV machinery that effectively counters barriers to voting put in place by the GOP will increase their chances.

Sure, but I was specifically talking about these elections. Where, EC aside, most of the shenanigans messing with a fair election have come from the GOP side.
    Agreed, elements of the GOP have made inexcusable statements that cast doubt on the fairness of the election that has been surprisingly well-done given the context of a pandemic with wildly shifting voting patterns. I am encouraged by many of the local election officials of both parties who have done a reasonably competent job and have ignored the noise... barring some unfortunate exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I have no idea what you mean ...

Lindsey Graham condemned for allegedly pressuring Georgia to toss out ballots

Georgia’s secretary of state says Republican senator indicated state should find ways to exclude legal, mail-in ballots in recount

Democrats and political observers were quick to condemn the Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, after it was reported that he pressured Georgia’s secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, to exclude ballots in the state’s presidential recount.

In a tweet, Minnesota congresswoman Ilhan Omar called the alleged approach “insane and illegal”.

Hakeem Jeffries, a US representative from New York, asked: “Did Lindsey Graham illegally pressure the Georgia secretary of state to rig the election after the fact? The justice department should find out.”

Noah Bookbinder, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics, said: “For the chairman of the Senate committee charged with oversight of our legal system to have reportedly suggested that an election official toss out large numbers of legal ballots from American voters is appalling.”

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Accusations that Barr pulled a Joe Biden? Spicy

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Accusations that Barr pulled a Joe Biden? Spicy
    You've already been told why your understanding of the Shokin issue is dumb, yet you persist in bringing it up, almost as if you want to be seen as an idiot. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    You've already been told why your understanding of the Shokin issue is dumb, yet you persist in bringing it up, almost as if you want to be seen as an idiot. Why is that?
    With all that's come out about Hunter Biden - do you still think the Ukrainian company hired him for his sound judgement and wisdom?

I think they hired him because he is more intelligent, more trustworthy, and more honorable than you are.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I think they hired him because he is more intelligent, more trustworthy, and more honorable than you are.
    Hahahahahahhahahaha

How many times has that loser druggie been caught relapsing? How many times has he gone to rehab for multiple substances? Hiring prostitutes and doing drugs? Leaving drugs in rental cars? Kicked out of the military? He's pathetic garbage that any parent should be ashamed of. Rich kid had every advantage in the world and he's still a total fuckup.

With all that's come out about Hunter Biden - do you still think the Ukrainian company hired him for his sound judgement and wisdom?
    What I think—indeed, know—is that you're trying to distract us from the question of what happened with Shokin, which has nothing to do with the news story above—except in the sense that Barr, too, is a corrupt prosecutor holding up an important investigation and who needs to be fired. As I've said before, Lewk—you're a very stupid man.

Hahahahahahhahahaha

How many times has that loser druggie been caught relapsing? How many times has he gone to rehab for multiple substances? Hiring prostitutes and doing drugs? Leaving drugs in rental cars? Kicked out of the military? He's pathetic garbage that any parent should be ashamed of. Rich kid had every advantage in the world and he's still a total fuckup.
    Yeah, who does he think he is? The president's son?
    What I think—indeed, know—is that you're trying to distract us from the question of what happened with Shokin, which has nothing to do with the news story above—except in the sense that Barr, too, is a corrupt prosecutor holding up an important investigation and who needs to be fired. As I've said before, Lewk—you're a very stupid man.
    It's comical.

Trumpies: Drain the swamp, drain the swamp!
    Look Trumpies, a swamp!
    Trumpies: uhm .... Hunter Biden!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

It's not just comical—it's outright stupid, to anyone who has read what actually happened with Shokin. It's just dumb. Hence my assessment that Lewk is a very, very stupid man.

This whole thing is so fucking bonkers:

And that's the type of shit that lewk refers to when he mentions how he supports trump as a means to an end in destroying the judicial branch.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm just lmao that some shitposter and a Twitter cow have been clowning an influential Congressman like this for several years, seemingly without any effort I mean, the corruption is scary, but the rest is kinda funny.

Who would have thought that a fake cow would be more influential than a crazy cunt screaming through a mail slot?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

This whole thing is so fucking bonkers:

I am somewhat surprised. Not at what Nunes or Barr's DoJ were up to, but that Twitter balked. Are we finally over the post-9/11 Patriot Act kowtowing?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

More on this: