Thread: Master/Slave to be nixed by Tech World

Default Master/Slave to be nixed by Tech World

Wow, this will be a major undertaking. I wonder how long it will take just to completely eradicate the use of master/slave...and how glitches will effect industry and the economy?

JPMorgan drops terms 'master,' 'slave' from internal tech code and materials

Twitter Inc (TWTR.K) and GitHub Inc adopted similar changes

Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

People actually wasting time on this nonsense is hilarious.

Lol!

Well, in avionics it’s usually Active and Passive.
    In telecom redundancy is sometimes refered to as A and B sides, mostly because of Ericsson legacy AXE design.
    Other variants involves calling something master and a slave is either a listener, terminal or monitor.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Don't see the big problems. The new terms are equally (or sometimes even more) usable.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Wow, this will be a major undertaking. I wonder how long it will take just to completely eradicate the use of master/slave...and how glitches will effect industry and the economy?

JPMorgan drops terms 'master,' 'slave' from internal tech code and materials

Twitter Inc (TWTR.K) and GitHub Inc adopted similar changes

Most important benefit will be to drive out jackasses from these businesses
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I saw a list of terms to avoid and replacement terms to be used instead recently that included some utterly absurd examples because they change the meaning of the term (eg don't use "maiden name" instead use "family name" - but the person's family name is their own surname not their maiden name which is something else entirely). All of those examples in Being's post are quite simple and don't lose the meaning of what's being conveyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

They do shit like this to avoid actually doing anything of substance.

I actually like primary/standby over master/slave, though

Also, bring back werman and wifman.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I don't like standby as an alternative, standby gives an image of something that might be off and waiting rather than something which is subordinate. Primary and subordinate or primary and secondary I'd prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

If you read up on this you will find the sticky part is not with changing human vocabulary but with changing machine vocabulary. Look at the tools used to produce machine code. There are millions of these tools in existence. You might be familiar with some of the high level ones such as Java, C, Perl, Python but the number of variants of those pale in comparison to PLC machine code producing tools for factory automation. Replacing master/slave in these code translators will be a gargantuan task.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

hmm, "Sanity Check" seems the term most difficult to replace...probably because we have a president who's a malignant narcissist, surrounded by enablers who refuse to acknowledge his sociopathy/incapacitation.

It's "crazy"!

Does the <forum board post> check.
    But it resulted in failure so I’m out of this thread now.

lol