Thread: Second Scottish Independence referendum

Default Second Scottish Independence referendum

It's looking increasingly likely the issue of a second Scottish Independence referendum is coming to a head soon. The next Holyrood elections are due next year and are set to be dominated by the issue. The SNP claiming that Brexit is a material change from 2014 meaning a new referendum is required.

According to the latest polls the SNP are currently polling 50% vote share so should get a majority at the next election even with PR voting. 55% currently say they'd vote Yes.

I agree with the logic that Brexit is a material change. The Scots should have the right to decide if they wish to continue to be in the UK or leave the UK and seek to rejoin the EU as an independent country.

What does everyone else think? And has anyone changed the opinion since last time? I supported Yes in 2014 so my opinion hasn't changed.

Fundamentally I feel the UK is unbalanced. The UK is 90% England so never going to be a "union of equals". If people feel British that's not an issue but that isn't the case anymore it seems to me. I think both England and Scotland will be better off as friendly neighbours than united.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I also agree with the logic. Am not Scottish or British myself so don't have a strong opinion. I suppose if they'd leave Scotland would like to rejoin the EU which might complicate things even more with regards to border arrangements..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Yes an independent Scotland would very much like to join the EU - but Brexit has complicated matters not just with the border but also currency. The proposal last time was that an independent Scotland would keep the pound because the Euro is very unpopular here even in Scotland. Previously there was an argument to be made that an independent Scotland could keep Britain's opt-out from joining the Euro but that's complicated now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yes an independent Scotland would very much like to join the EU - but Brexit has complicated matters not just with the border but also currency. The proposal last time was that an independent Scotland would keep the pound because the Euro is very unpopular here even in Scotland. Previously there was an argument to be made that an independent Scotland could keep Britain's opt-out from joining the Euro but that's complicated now.
    It's not complicated at all. Popularity of parts of the body of law of the EU is not relevant. There is one EU country with an opt-in clause, there are no EU countries with an opt-out clause left. And I have no doubt there will be little to no inclination to give the Scots an exclusive deal on the currency that was denied everybody who joined since Maastricht was ratified.

If it would be a wise thing for the Scots to choose the EU over the UK I don't know, but I would sure as hell have a laugh if they indeed vote against staying. I don't see how NI would stay in if Scotland goes.
    Congratulations America

I'm not sure how using the pound when you have no input into monetary policy is any better than being in the euro.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I'm not sure how using the pound when you have no input into monetary policy is any better than being in the euro.
    Additional: as a EMU member the Scotts would be entitled to have a vote on the ECB board. Not a veto, but they'd be heard.
    Congratulations America