Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beirut explosion

Quote Originally Posted by BalticSailor View Post
    Was this issue that easy to solve, though? Logistics notwithstanding, there's the problem with legal ownership of the cargo. IANAL, but I doubt that whoever arrests a ship due to it not being seaworthy, is at liberty to take its cargo and do as they see fit with it.
    It was being stored, even if you're concerned about legal ownership it should be stored in a safe and secure environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It was being stored, even if you're concerned about legal ownership it should be stored in a safe and secure environment.
    I agree, though I see how it could be argued that the existing storage area was satisfactorily safe, until somebody thought it a good idea to place a cargo of pyrotechnics in the same place. As precautions go, don't put any inflammable material, not to mention easily triggered explosives, in close vicinity of any amount of powerful explosives is a pretty basic one. There is no way to redeem whoever made that decision - however, I doubt that government was involved in making it, or even informed on the matter.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Quote Originally Posted by BalticSailor View Post
    Was this issue that easy to solve, though? Logistics notwithstanding, there's the problem with legal ownership of the cargo. IANAL, but I doubt that whoever arrests a ship due to it not being seaworthy, is at liberty to take its cargo and do as they see fit with it.
    I don't know about easy, but it was a reasonably well-defined problem that would've at least been solvable not only in theory but also in practice—if there had been an interest in solving it on the part of the people who had the competence, authority and responsibility to do so. That might've been the case if the risks were communicated more clearly, and if there'd been an established process for assessing and addressing risks such as these. I hope they learn that lesson at least, the same way airlines had to many years ago.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Can't vouch for the quality of the translation, but articles in English were a little light on details. More ticking time-bombs:

https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Beiruts...e22343324.html
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."