Thread: Rishi's Dishis (Eat Out To Help Out)

Default Rishi's Dishis (Eat Out To Help Out)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53911505

For any Brits on the forum I wonder what you think of the Eat Out To Help Out scheme - have you used it? Had any nice meals out this month? Have you gone out more than you would have because of it? If you've gone out have you ordered more than you would have normally because of the discount?

We hadn't been out at all since early February due to the virus until this month and probably wouldn't have gone out this month were it not for the scheme. We've been out three times this month, because of young children we can only go to family friendly venues - been out twice to a local pub/restaurant near us that has reopened with a limited menu. Went the second time at lunch today, annual leave this week so we could go in the day - we did call yesterday to get a table at 5:30 originally but they were fully booked for the evening today and tomorrow before 8pm which is too late for kids so went for lunch instead. Would only normally have a main meal but went for a three course meal today, whole meal for the whole family came to £30 after the discount . The only other time I've used the discount was taking the kids to McDonalds. The restaurant we went to today at lunch was pretty packed at lunch time, the tables were all spaced out to be COVID-safe but its a big venue and practically every single table was occupied while we were there - and that's at lunch time on top of it being sold out tonight.

When this scheme was announced my first thought was it was quite gimmicky, but I actually think it was quite cleverly done. Its gotten people out and about into the industry that most needed economic support post-lockdown, though it will be interesting to see how much people continue to go out next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Considering other things you think are clever I believe this will be a catastrophe.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

This scheme is almost over, its the penultimate day of it today. Its only available Mon-Wed through August so this is the final working day with it available with only Bank Holiday Monday coming up then its expired. Hence why I was curious about my fellow Brits experiences with it if they'd had any not if they were planning to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yes we've used it. We went to TGI Friday's a couple of weeks ago. First meal out since lockdown. We were all a bit nervous but they'd done a good job of social distancing and reducing things you could touch. We brought out own cutlery though. It wasn't as busy as we thought it would be.

We're going to Bella Italia today to make use of the scheme for a second and final time.

Despite wanting to support restaurants (because eating out is one of life's luxuries) I'm confident we wouldn't be going to eat-it restaurants yet if the scheme wasn't in place so as far as I'm concerned the scheme worked.

Yerp overall it seems to have been largely a good thing.

Have been fairly busy recently travelling to see relatives, planning our wedding in October, or seeing friends so haven't used it as much as we'd intended, only being out twice.

We eat out a lot generally, and always try to support local independents over the chains, but we do use both. The two times we have been out on this scheme has been to a local, partially pedestrianised street which has a good string of independent eateries. During the scheme they made the street fully pedestrianised, so all the eateries put tables and chairs out on the street giving it a fantastic lively vibe, which it usually only has on summer weekends when it normally closes to traffic.

On both occasions all eateries were completely full, with queues of people waiting for tables. We chatted to staff both times, and on both occasions staff told us the scheme was great, they were really busy mondays to wednesdays when the scheme was in place, and remained busy as normal over the weekends.

I have wondered at the sense of the scheme though, another cost to the government at a time when it is borrowing money hand over fist to pay for other necessities and challenges during Covid lockdown. But maybe, despite the cost, and as well as the more obvious benefit to the hospitality sector here, there is a more subtle benefit to the public in general, in giving them a slight nudge in getting out and about and doing something normal - a break from the mental strains of lockdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Oh very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.