Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California Folks

Thanks for the feedback. Still doubt I'll get one for a very long time (if ever) as I don't use the kettle that often. I prefer coffee over tea.

Currently using pods as my old bean to cup coffee machine died. Getting a new bean to cup coffee machine would be a higher priority than a Quooker, but they're very expensive too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yep we're in the same position. In our new place in Brighton the kitchen doesn't have one, after having one for 3 years in our last house. I was reticent to have it installed in the first place, thought it was rather pointless and expensive gimmickery, but my wife insisted. Turned out to be a wonderful device. I realise that moreso now that we are back to a kettle. New kitchen on order as part of our renovations, and another boiling water tap is specced.

Safe enough Rand. And they all have a lock feature so its not like turning on an ordinary tap.
    Consider a combination tap. It enabled us to solve a very complex problem with hot and warm water in the kitchen. (which is now 100% electric)

Flixy, they have a boiler so probably use a little bit more energy than a kettle, but it never made a significant difference in our bills.

If you get one make sure it's serviced at regular intervals.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Still doubt I'll get one for a very long time (if ever) as I don't use the kettle that often. I prefer coffee over tea.

Currently using pods as my old bean to cup coffee machine died. Getting a new bean to cup coffee machine would be a higher priority than a Quooker, but they're very expensive too.
    I got a bean grinder last year, it's a cheap not so great one and already my (filter) coffee is far more amazing. But drinking more tea now since I was drinking a bit too much coffee I think, working from home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Consider a combination tap. It enabled us to solve a very complex problem with hot and warm water in the kitchen. (which is now 100% electric)

Flixy, they have a boiler so probably use a little bit more energy than a kettle, but it never made a significant difference in our bills.

If you get one make sure it's serviced at regular intervals.
    Ah, I'm only familiar with the combination ones. There's even ones that have regular cold and warm, boiling, chilled and bubbles, if I'm not mistaken. One day...
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

Yeh I don't drink tea at all either - only coffee. Green/mint tea the exception after the odd meal.

Bean to cup eh - and you called me posh
    Love those machines but never had one.
    We used to have a little coffee grinder for grinding the coffee then loading into an Espresso machine, but it became too much of a faff. So we then ended up just buying pre-ground coffee.

We then moved onto pods like you to use in a Nespresso machine, but with compostable pods (lookup Roar Gill)

Consider a combination tap. It enabled us to solve a very complex problem with hot and warm water in the kitchen.
    Aye combi tap only, boiling/hot/cold. Same as Flixy I'm only familiar with these ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Think we finally found a use for one of Lewk's threads.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yeh I don't drink tea at all either - only coffee. Green/mint tea the exception after the odd meal.

Bean to cup eh - and you called me posh
    Love those machines but never had one.
    We used to have a little coffee grinder for grinding the coffee then loading into an Espresso machine, but it became too much of a faff. So we then ended up just buying pre-ground coffee.

We then moved onto pods like you to use in a Nespresso machine, but with compostable pods (lookup Roar Gill)

Aye combi tap only, boiling/hot/cold. Same as Flixy I'm only familiar with these ones.
    In my old set up I had a bigger tap which I used for water up to 40 degrees celcius, and a smaller side one with boiling water on the side. Both were getting their hot water from the same reservoir, but in the case of the regular warm water tap cold water was mixed in to significantly cool it down. Qooker brand by the way. IIRC it added around €1.500 to the price of the kitchen, but I never regretted it.
    Congratulations America

Amusingly it seems actually for February the wind turbines are producing as much electricity in Texas as would be expected for the month.

It is the gas turbines that are struggling in the weather more. As heating has been whacked up across the state the gas network isn't coping.

All those bloody green fossil fuel turbines ...
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

So now Texas's largest nuclear plant has had to stop working as it's frozen. Gas output is still low.

Wind continues to produce it's expected amounts at least.

Whoops. All looking pretty silly now. Especially the Texans deliberate policy of not having an interconnector with other states. Other states could have been able to help Texas out now if there were interconnectors working.

Blackouts could continue for days or a month. Pretty much until the weather improves it seems.

PS LOL Tim

I also just read that they are not connected to the rest of the US.. on purpose. Why?! Who thought that was a good idea?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I also just read that they are not connected to the rest of the US.. on purpose. Why?! Who thought that was a good idea?
    It's all a precursor for Texit.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Solar fair enough. Though blame gas and nuclear too.

Wind is working. What a numpty.

Capitalism.

The texas grid was deregulated and privatized, then removed from interconnected networks to avoid federal regulations, all to increase the wealth of a few individuals
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Creating their own grid for nationalist reasons doesn't sound like capitalism to me.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Capitalism != Corruption or Mercantilism.

They're opposites in fact.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I believe the real intent was a protection racket for their domestic oil industry.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN2AF19A

Real-time wholesale market prices on the power grid operated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) were more than $9,000 per megawatt hour late Monday morning, compared with pre-storm prices of less than $50 per megawatt hour,

Yay for deregulation!

Millions of Texans are without electricity, gas or water so what is their Senator's top priority?

Lets jet off to Cancun!

Tweeting a tribute to rush limbaugh from Cancun while his constituents literally freeze to death is peak GOP.

Ted Cruz's family tried to get away from him on the way to Cancun, but, sadly, failed:

And how will people boil their water exactly?
    Congratulations America

Flint & tinder, light a fire.

One report had a family down to burning their kids toys, another was stealing fencing.

Both are extremely bad ideas.

And how will people boil their water exactly?
    By thinking outside the box:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...re/6786899002/

"No one owes you are (sic) your family anything, nor is it the local government's responsibility to support you during trying times like this," Boyd said in his Tuesday morning post, which was obtained by the Abilene Reporter-News, part of the USA TODAY Network.

“Only the strong will survive and the weak will parish (sic)," Boyd wrote.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London