Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California Folks

Default California Folks

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/los...ts-to-conserve

"“It’s almost 3 p.m.,” Garcetti’s tweet read. “Time to turn off major appliances, set the thermostat to 78 degrees (or use a fan instead), turn off excess lights and unplug any appliances you’re not using. We need every Californian to help conserve energy. Please do your part.”

Fox 11 reported that thousands of residents across Los Angeles County were without power and a California Independent System Operator declared a Stage 2 Emergency, which means the city is “taking all the steps to protect the grid, manage transmission loss and avoid outages.”"

Nuclear energy looking a lot better these days, eh?

I just hope that liberals who finally get fed up with the state don't infect other states with the same shit they are fleeing.

There's probably some blame for continued power-regulation issues, sure. But having basically the entire start of 40million people dealing with 110-degree temperatures or higher multiple days in a row would be hard for any system without a lot of excess capacity. Most of the LA area (where the largest total population is) hit highs of 115-120. I doubt Texas would be breezing through similar conditions across the state either.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/los...ts-to-conserve

"“It’s almost 3 p.m.,” Garcetti’s tweet read. “Time to turn off major appliances, set the thermostat to 78 degrees (or use a fan instead), turn off excess lights and unplug any appliances you’re not using. We need every Californian to help conserve energy. Please do your part.”

Fox 11 reported that thousands of residents across Los Angeles County were without power and a California Independent System Operator declared a Stage 2 Emergency, which means the city is “taking all the steps to protect the grid, manage transmission loss and avoid outages.”"

I just hope that liberals who finally get fed up with the state don't infect other states with the same shit they are fleeing.
    Perhaps you should read the article
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    There's probably some blame for continued power-regulation issues, sure. But having basically the entire start of 40million people dealing with 110-degree temperatures or higher multiple days in a row would be hard for any system without a lot of excess capacity. Most of the LA area (where the largest total population is) hit highs of 115-120. I doubt Texas would be breezing through similar conditions across the state either.
    So thanks to reading the article Lewokwski shared it appears that California had a combination of:
    1. The highest temperature ever recorded causing surging demand
    2. A transmission line taking power from Oregon went unexpectedly offline
    3. No blackouts occurred.

Well done Californians, sounds like you dealt with a tough issue really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Y'all are silly. The idea that any 1st world nation would have to curb power usage is insane. Especially when they could have kept nuclear going strong if it wasn't for idiot liberal eco nuts.

There's nothing unusual about conservation of demand during a spike, it is totally unexceptional and it sounds like it was very well managed.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Y'all are silly. The idea that any 1st world nation would have to curb power usage is insane. Especially when they could have kept nuclear going strong if it wasn't for idiot liberal eco nuts.
    Again, perhaps you should read the article
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Everyone curbs power usage Lewk. That's why you get charged different rates for higher levels of usage or for usage at peak times. It's called "capitalism." You should look into it, the hand of the market is constantly curbing behavior.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

<snip>

Nuclear energy wouldn't have been the panacea that prevented the west coast fires. Neither would have "raking the forest floors" like Trump claims. Both (D) and (R) parties should be "eco-nuts" since we only have ONE planet. What's really insane is a 1st world nation like the US pretending that science doesn't matter, or that it can bend and manipulate science to meet a political ideology -- for the sake of corporate conglomerate profits -- without consequences.

That you've moved from Drill-Baby-Drill to Nuclear says more about your denial, and willful ignorance about science and global connections than anything else.

Controlled burns would have done a lot actually.

Controlled burns are already part of forestry management.

Did you even read the article you cited, Lewk?

It says wildfires are worldwide problems related to catastrophic climate impacts. That's not just something Californians or left-wing lib'ruls should care about....and you're exposing your ignorance (or is it bias?) when you pose it that way. What would Jesus think about Christians not being good stewards of the earth, or laughing about climate refugees, like you do? tsk tsk

The entire point was to show you an article that agrees with your world view *and also agrees more controlled burns are needed.*

The entire point was to show you an article that agrees with your world view *and also agrees more controlled burns are needed.*
    57% of CA forests are federally managed. If you think more controlled burns were needed, blame the Trump Administration.

You can't blame the Trump administration. In California the trees have started to explode. No one saw that coming.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Texas folks

Power outages across Texas as a stage 3 emergency declared.

You expect lewk to be that self aware? He used this post to pimp nuclear because a transmission line went down. I highly doubt he will see the connection to Texas being ill prepared for snow.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-15-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The bloody stupid thing is that nuclear energy is about the worst possible suggestion for dealing with spikes in demand.

Nuclear does not scale up on demand well at all.

The cold actually impacts forms of power generation. (For example half of the wind turbines are frozen). Power consumption is an in and out equation and nuclear energy provides a fantastic baseline for cheap 'in' energy.

Baseline is absolutely bloody useless during power surges, like when there's a heatwave and everyone turns on their air conditioning - or cold snaps and everyone turns on their heating.

On demand energy is needed then, which nuclear is entirely useless at and which is what you failed to recognise when you wrote this foolish thread about California. Funny you're making excuses when it is Texas.

Lewk before you make a larger than usual ass out of yourself you should Google the term TV Pickup. You might learn a thing or two about demand and why you don't fuck with the UK on the subject.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Very big issue in this country because of our usage of kettles. Still amazes me that you don't have proper kettles over there.

Kettles. Pff. Boiling water tap is the way to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Baseline is absolutely bloody useless during power surges, like when there's a heatwave and everyone turns on their air conditioning - or cold snaps and everyone turns on their heating.

On demand energy is needed then, which nuclear is entirely useless at and which is what you failed to recognise when you wrote this foolish thread about California. Funny you're making excuses when it is Texas.
    "Cheap plentiful energy never helps." Yeah ok. lol

That's not what I said dingbat.

Cheap plentiful energy helps provide a baseline (though is nuclear that cheap - that's another story).

But during surging demand whether it be a heatwave, snowstorm, or commercials during a TV Pickup, or anything else like that can only work with surging supply. Nuclear is built for stability, it is not built for providing surges, it literally is meaningless and irrelevant for handling demand spikes only baseline.

You could have nuclear provide 100% of your baseline and there'd be power cuts every single time there was a heatwave, cold weather, TV Pickup or any other phenomenon. But nuclear is incapable of handling that.

PS Tim very posh. I won't get a Quooker partially for the price but also because despite the notion they're childsafe I wouldn't want to risk an accident.

I believe Lewk just trolled himself.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/4334954...s-grip-country
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Kettles. Pff. Boiling water tap is the way to go
    I agree. There isn't one in our new flat, but I have every intention of having one installed. We had one before and it's extremely frustrating to go back to a kettle.

RandBlade; they are as safe as they claim. In the seven years of using one we never had anything even close to resembling an accident with hot water.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I agree. There isn't one in our new flat, but I have every intention of having one installed. We had one before and it's extremely frustrating to go back to a kettle.

RandBlade; they are as safe as they claim. In the seven years of using one we never had anything even close to resembling an accident with hot water.
    Yep we're in the same position. In our new place in Brighton the kitchen doesn't have one, after having one for 3 years in our last house. I was reticent to have it installed in the first place, thought it was rather pointless and expensive gimmickery, but my wife insisted. Turned out to be a wonderful device. I realise that moreso now that we are back to a kettle. New kitchen on order as part of our renovations, and another boiling water tap is specced.

Safe enough Rand. And they all have a lock feature so its not like turning on an ordinary tap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I love those things, they're amazing. Don't have one because they're quite expensive. Do they consume a lot of energy compared to a kettle?

Still using a kettle like a peasant.. but recently upgraded to a kettle with temperature presets, so not just boiling water. Much nicer for green tea, I can recommend it (and a lot cheaper than a quooker). Allegedly also nice for stuff like babyfood, but that's not really for me at the moment

I should say I'm slightly biased because I used to work for Philips and still have employee discount, which helped with the kettle
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!