Thread: God's relationship with the U.S.

Default God's relationship with the U.S.

Have we been one nation, under God, since the beginning? Does God hold us as sacrosanct as we allege? Does God trust in us to the degree we proclaim our trust in God? One nation, under God, in God we trust. Nobody is forced to say it. Nobody is forced to believe it. But everyone is forced to live with the propaganda.

Can we, as a nation, continue to proclaim our trust in God if God denies us? If God were to sever the relationship, what are our options?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Not many people care about whats on the dollar bill.

I personally don't think God looks upon America in any particular special favor. Much of America claims to be Christian but that is true in other countries as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I personally don't think God looks upon America in any particular special favor.
    Are you ok with us looking upon God as a supporter of our existance?

Politicians say "God is in our side". I'd wonder if US is in the side of God.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Isn't this was Baltar's rant at the end of Battlestar Galactica was about? Before Cavill ignored him.

Either way, one thing that's clear is that God seems to have it in for Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Have we been one nation, under God, since the beginning? Does God hold us as sacrosanct as we allege? Does God trust in us to the degree we proclaim our trust in God? One nation, under God, in God we trust. Nobody is forced to say it. Nobody is forced to believe it. But everyone is forced to live with the propaganda.

Can we, as a nation, continue to proclaim our trust in God if God denies us? If God were to sever the relationship, what are our options?
    One Nation Under God is a relic of the Red Scare in the '50s. The In God We Trust came from the Civil War era, iirc.

As far as the thread title, I think its an absurd question. God has no relationship to anything human. Its all about what humans decide to do with the meme of God. Its a fantastic motivator and justifier, as dangerous as it is powerful. The Founding Fathers knew exactly what to do with the meme of God - keep it separate from the government. Over the ensuing history, Americans of many stripes have tried regularly to reject this lesson, with some success. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Yes, God seems to bless the competant and punish the incompetant. Not to borrow from Ben Franklin's jibe too egregiously. "The Lord helps those who help themselves." If only the Haitians had opted for implementing some kind of sensible building codes, the good Lord might have blessed them as he did the Chileans.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I'm just wondering if SCOTUS will rule on the merits of the case this time around or if they will dismiss the suit on another technicality or will they simply refuse to hear the case again?

Justices sidestep church-state issue in tossing atheist's case

Court clears reciting of Pledge of Allegiance at Western schools

I'm just wondering if SCOTUS will rule on the merits of the case this time around or if they will dismiss the suit on another technicality or will they simply refuse to hear the case again?

Justices sidestep church-state issue in tossing atheist's case

Court clears reciting of Pledge of Allegiance at Western schools
    This is a decidedly conservative activist court. I wouldn't be surprised if they took the opportunity to change the constitution again.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    In Haiti people are too superstitious and they accept everything as fate. So they do not move to change things. International aid is threatening to lower prices of local farm production and cause unemployment. And they lost all natural resources, US vapor vessels burned all the trees. The trees that were there have a wood that is more expensive than gold nowdays.

You may find this article interesting:

Mounting Stresses, Failing States
    In the past, governments have been concerned by the concentration of too much power in one state, as in Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, and the Soviet Union. But today it is failing states that provide the greatest threat to global order and stability.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Yes, God seems to bless the competant and punish the incompetant.
    So what do you think about this...?

BBC - Bush puts God on his side

Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Are you ok with us looking upon God as a supporter of our existance?
    God has a Special Providence for drunkards, fools, and the United States of America -Otto von Bismark.
    I am hesitant to contradict the man, he's one scary German.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    So what do you think about this...?

BBC - Bush puts God on his side

I think the results of the Bush presidency speak for themselves and are wholly consistant with the idea that saying god is on your side is meaningless except to the masses you're attempting to manipulate.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I am hesitant to contradict the man, he's one scary German.
    It's okay, kid, he's dead
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Ar81, I don't see how you get off posting that list without noticing that Iraq is #6, ahead of Haiti (even before the earthquake). I haven't heard that Iraq was a failing state. Please do tell. (edit: well, other than crumbling infrastructure and agriculture, and a swelling population)

Edit: Anyway, that link was a good read and I do agree with most of those.

Edit: Is the United States becoming a failing state?

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Edit: Is the United States becoming a failing state?
    When God severs the relationship, what are our options?

Yes, you said that already. At that point, metaphorically speaking, I don't think "we" will even be asking that question because we'll be too stupid to do it.

God loves America and therefore America doesn't need healthcare reform. Any Americans unable to afford medical care will be taken care of by God.

In God We Trust.

You suck. I was going to pimp my thread in GC about Pursuits!

Pursuits doesn't mention our trust in god though.

These rights are endowed by our creator.

Has anything changed with respect to US relations with God?

Yes, see his account on Twitter, he doesn't seem happy or impressed.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Yes, see his account on Twitter, he doesn't seem happy or impressed.
    I don't do twitter. Maybe you could post some quotes from God.

Sure, mostly among white conservative Christians who "identify" as Republicans. The God 'n Guns and Faith & Family crowd -- enabled by right-wing media and talk radio -- now control the GOP's political messaging. Propaganda promoting authoritarianism with lies and hypocrisy.

Just look at the Covid fiasco, and vaccination skepticism, with the reluctance to regulate guns. It's been plotted on a map, a venn diagram showing overlays of Bible-thumping beliefs and Republican-held red states. It's not just correlation but causation.

They don't need to believe in science, or follow Public Health guidelines. All they need is God.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

They don't need to believe in science, or follow Public Health guidelines. All they need is God.

Two nations under God, if you please.

edit: Bipolar nation under God??
    Last edited by Being; 07-23-2021 at 09:58 PM.

I don't know how to respond to that, Being.

Relying on God is either a mass-delusional, or cognitive dissonant event. That the Republican Party is using religion in their political platform, in order to divide people, goes against our democratic ideals.

I gave up trying to understand *why* the right-wing does what they do. The only thing that's clear is that the Republican Party is a cult. With millions of followers ready and willing to divide the US, and create chaos from within. They greet a "two Americas" with glee, and want to spawn an internal cultural war just to make make Libruls cry.

Just ask Lewk.

Last edited by GGT; 07-24-2021 at 01:47 AM.

If more people who claim to rely on god instead of science actually relied on god instead of science there would be less people claiming to rely on god instead of science.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    If more people who claim to rely on god instead of science actually relied on god instead of science there would be less people claiming to rely on god instead of science.
    That might not be good for the human race. I mean, what if God fearing folk are a keystone species? Wouldn't eliminating them cause overpopulation or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Not many people care about whats on the dollar bill.

I personally don't think God looks upon America in any particular special favor. Much of America claims to be Christian but that is true in other countries as well.
    Pretty sure present-day Lewk would call 2010 Lewk a CRT-supporting Marxist.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Pretty sure present-day Lewk would call 2010 Lewk a CRT-supporting Marxist.
    Are you presenting that as a bad thing?

edit: just kidding
    Last edited by Being; 07-27-2021 at 05:17 PM.