Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Faggala better half and I are beginning the process to adopt...

Veldan, I can't give advice as to being an adoptive parent, but as an adopted kid I will give you a few words of wisdom that helped me when I was growing up. My parents were wonderful about a lot of things but these were the main ones:
    1.) Never, ever lie about him being adopted, even if you get a younger child that doesn't remember his birth parents. My parents were open and honest about it from the time I was old enough to understand the "dumbed down" explanation of what adopted meant! Trust me when I say...he will appreciate that honesty!
    2.) Always be honest about how much or little you know about the birth parent(s)! If the parent(s) just flat out couldn't afford to feed/clothe him, let him know that, along with the fact they loved him enough to give him to someone who could! You don't have to go into detail, but if he was physically abused, don't try to hide it. If he was sexually abused, don't hide it but don't get into great detail.
    3.) MOST IMPORTANT!! Let him know, in words and actions, how much you love him and love having him in your lives! Let him know that you will support him (not necessarily financially but emotionally) in whatever he wants to achieve in life! If he was given up due to circumstances that will allow you, in good conscience, to help him track down his birth parents when he gets older...DO IT!!

My parents were (Mommymunchkin still is) the greatest parents in the world! Of course that's my opinion, but still! They did all of those things I just mentioned! Yes, my circumstances were different than you adopting an older child, since I was adopted at birth due to Max having 9 kids already and not being able to afford to feed/clothe me, but still! The best thing they did was be COMPLETELY honest from the time I was old enough to understand. They supported me, emotionally, in my search for Max. They supported me emotionally when I went to meet her! My Dad went with me to my birth Father's funeral! Mommymunchkin sends Max flowers on her birthday and on Mother's Day! They didn't have to do those things...they could have just said they didn't know shit about my birth parents and told me to STFU, but they understood that wouldn't be a good thing in the long run. They were honest, understanding, but above all, they were loving, even when I wasn't very lovable!

Looking back on it now...there were a lot of times I wasn't very lovable. It is hard being an adopted child. It takes patience and a lot of love to be the parent of an adopted child. It's a very psychologically difficult thing, being that child. I am sure it will be harder being an older child who remembers his/her birth parent(s). No matter how much love is in the adoptive family, there is always that question, "Why did my birth parents not love me?" in the back of the kid's mind. Since you want an older child, the suggestion about a psychologist wasn't a bad idea at all.

Having had that little rant! Now I will say...best of luck in your endeavor! You (don't know your partner) will make a wonderful Daddy! Just remember...love and patience is the key!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

We are now in phase 2!

Better Half and I got fingerprinted. (I'm in the system!!)

Our references got their questionnaires sent to them (5 pages of questions!) and they are working on them now...(and they are SO happy to be thought of a such good friends that we give them homework)

We finally fished a minor redo of the kid's bathroom (paint, new heat register, new toilet, new switches, and light...the next time I hear a Home(o) Depot or (B)Loews commercial for DIY...I'm gonna throw my remote at the TV.

Fire/Safety Inspection will be on this Tuesday.

Then classes begin in November (yeah, a bit of a wait). Then the interviews!

Just have to figure out what to do with the dogs...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Wow, this is pretty invasive. Do they check your computer and such when they do these tests?

Well, the kids are the wards of the state until we sign off on an adoption, so the kids safety are the State's responsibility till that happens.

Computer checks...no, at least I doubt it.

The bathroom refit was always the plan, kid or no kid anyway...

The single biggest hit to your wealth is taking responsibility for something that eats.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Just went through the Saftey Inspection.

Nice guy advised all we need to do is add graspable hand rails to... our existing hand rails... on our porch stairs and deck stairs out back (yeah..he rolled his eyes too) and just get our monitor heaters inspected/serviced (as they have not been since they were installed).

One more step (no pun) out of the way!

Okay...we've had the homestudy, which is when the Foster Social Worker comes to the house to get our personal history, peek at the house, and get a feel for how crazy we are.

Our classes started on Tuesday, lots of good info. We now get homework, watch really outdated videos, and such. 21 hours of classes left, then we should get licensed soon after that.

Soon we are gonna have to figure out how to store our liquor and my weapons collection....kida funny, she asked if we had any firearms (we don't), but somehow missed the stuff hanging in the closet that she looked into. I've got a few swords, and axe, kusari...blah blah. She looked at all the rooms, but did not actually go into the study where all the D&D stuff is.

Wonder if the kid will like martial arts training...

They have rules about how you can store your liquor?

I think you should probably ask the kid about what he is interested in, but martial arts training is probably a good bet.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

NO, no rules per se...We just have it out in the open for display (we really don't drink that much), I just don't wanna leave my Jack where Jack might get to it out of curiosity...

Yeah, I don't see myself shoving him into stuff I like unless he displays interest.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I keep mine shoved in a cabinet. Well, there's some limoncello and a bottle of chardonnay in the refrigerator, but other than that...

The kid or the booze is shoved in a cabinet?

(I'm a mandated reporter now...)

Very noble thing you're doing... glad you're into D&D geek homes are usually safe homes (albeit strange). That's really cool I'm happy for you, I hope you're ready for it day in and day out the heart break and the heartfelt rewards. It'll take effort, but in time you'll handle it, and there is a lot of reward. Best of luck to you, and a great thing you're doing for our society and for the child .

Thank you for your thoughts LD.

On a sidenote, while I was aware that foster care had a daily stipend...I was shocked (and somewhat horrified) to discover that there was for adoption as well! Me and the spouse looked at each other stunned and he said; 'No wonder the State has no money."

It can be up to $21.50 a day till he's 18! The libertarian in me is repulsed, the Scrooge McDuck in me is going MUHUHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    The kid or the booze is shoved in a cabinet?

(I'm a mandated reporter now...)
    Just the booze.

I prefer to torture the kids by sending them to school.

Touche!

Got to love how much more shit you have to go through than the people that gave birth to the kids.

Sounds like you've got a lot going for you, good luck! You're on your way to a great adventure!

(I type this as my little one is fighting her nap and staring at me.....LOL)

Yeah, makes me wonder why all those hoops shouldn't be completed in 9 months. If you can go through all that Veldan, you'll be a very patient papa.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yeah, makes me wonder why all those hoops shouldn't be completed in 9 months. If you can go through all that Veldan, you'll be a very patient papa.
    Trust me, it will all be worth it once I show how to brew coffee, and then how to make a cup for me...

They don't stay overnight, do they? That would be...the premise of a bad situation comedy.

It can be up to $21.50 a day till he's 18! The libertarian in me is repulsed, the Scrooge McDuck in me is going MUHUHAHAHAHAHA!
    Wow. Thats more than Brandy gets in childsupport for 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    They don't stay overnight, do they? That would be...the premise of a bad situation comedy.
    Who? The Social Worker?

From OG

Wow. Thats more than Brandy gets in childsupport for 2 kids.
    You need to squeeze the bio dad more then...

But I'm guessing he ain't got it?

Correct, he had been living off of unemployment, till they started taking most of it, and he noticed he couldn't afford to care for his other kids. Suddenly he was able to find a job, no idea whats going to happen with the payments now.

Gotta love these guys huh?

You should be able to garnish those wages as well.

Have you read Dan Savage's "The Kid?" I highly recommend it.

Who? The Social Worker?
    Yeah, the social worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Yeah, the social worker.
    No, they don't stay overnight. That would be awkward.

Wahoo! Finished our last class. Now we are just waiting to be licensed (a visit from the social worker), and then we wait for the call!

Congrats!

Another visit from a social worker? Any idea how they pick which children go to which families? Is it random or do they choose based on...something?

Dread are you thinking foster home? I got the impression that Veldan is adopting, and I thought that the parents got to pick then?

My understanding is it's not always like that —*I mean, you don't have to take home a kid you don't want, but that in many cases the adoption agency makes an initial match based on their observations of you. Though it depends widely on local laws.