Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Presidential Debate 2020

Default Presidential Debate 2020

The 2020 presidential debates are scheduled from 9:00pm to 10:30pm Eastern time on September 29th
    Disclaimer: I am rooting for Joe Biden

Advice to Biden: Do Not Laugh at, Do Not Mock, Do Not Belittle anything Trump says. Condescension will not benefit you.

Advice to Trump: Just be yourself.

Prediction: Today is the day Joe Biden gets his stutter back.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I actually think it will be a bit boring, people are hyping it up a lot but Biden will be sticking to script and outside of pre-prepared rejoinder there will be little direct engagement.

Here's the deal, Trumps rules by flabbergasting the opponent AND THE MODERATOR.

Trump's going to refuse to admit defeat. He's going to try to make the supreme court decide the president.

If this country wasn't so cowboyish it wouldn't be a close enough vote to come to that. If the vote is close enough, I can only say I am ashamed and we deserve what we get.

As someone who prefers Trump over Biden... sigh. That was an embarrassment. STFU don't try to argue with the moderator and Biden you look like a fucking clown.

Here's an idea. Shut off the mike of the guy who is not supposed to speak.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

A vote for Biden is a vote for Trump to shut the fuck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Undecided Voter Says Trump Acted Like ‘a Crackhead’ During Debate, Will Now Back Biden
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/undeci...biden?ref=home

I completely agree with the assessment, but who the fuck are these people that last night was the final straw? Looking more and more like trumps bitching about biden taking a drug test before the debate was your usual GOP projection.

Logo for last night's debate:
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 09-30-2020 at 11:49 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Here's an idea. Shut off the mike of the guy who is not supposed to speak.
    Debate rules have to be agreed to by both candidates, and there's no way Trump's campaign would have agreed to this. 90% of his strategy is talking loud and drowning out anyone else.

Logo for last night's debate:
    Proud Boys: standby.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Debate rules have to be agreed to by both candidates, and there's no way Trump's campaign would have agreed to this. 90% of his strategy is talking loud and drowning out anyone else.
    Do they have to? they can chose.

If Trump choses not to agree to those terms and Biden does, it becomes a stage for Biden.

Neither of the 2 should dictate the form this event takes. The event is on behalf of the American voters, not the car salesmen.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I am very disappointed that Trump was given at least two perfect opportunities to use his iconic line "No clown, you're the clown" and failed to do so. I can only assume he really is a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Do they have to? they can chose.

If Trump choses not to agree to those terms and Biden does, it becomes a stage for Biden.

Neither of the 2 should dictate the form this event takes. The event is on behalf of the American voters, not the car salesmen.
    Trump was talking before about not doing debates at all. They both hold rallies all the time where they're the only one on stage, but it doesn't have the draw of a debate. These things aren't mandated, so there's really no way to force them both into it, you have to get both camps to agree to the debate and its rules.

Trump was talking before about not doing debates at all. They both hold rallies all the time where they're the only one on stage, but it doesn't have the draw of a debate. These things aren't mandated, so there's really no way to force them both into it, you have to get both camps to agree to the debate and its rules.
    In the UK its very hard to get party leaders to all agree to doing debates for precisely this reason. Whoever is favourite to win the election (typically the PM) finds a reason to avoid doing them.

Only once ever (2010) has a full slate of debates been held between party leaders. Prior to 2010 there'd never been any agreed and subsequently the PM (Cameron '15, May '17 and Johnson '19) has always found a way to get out of doing most of them.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Proud Boys: standby.
    Sure, but he also didn't follow the rules he did agree to.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Sure, but he also didn't follow the rules he did agree to.
    Of course not! He only agreed to the rules because there was nothing in place to enforce them. The rules are only supposed to apply to his opponent, not him.

Biden missed some interesting openings for good comebacks.

Like when Trump said "Don't use the word SMART with me."

Biden should have responded "Why? Is that another word you don't understand?"

Biden is a terrible candidate, and he missed many great opportunities on stage. He only looks good because the alternative is so much worse. Trump has a ton of insecurities, and Biden would do well if he preyed on them. For example, in the question about the doubts about the validity of the election, he should have pointed out how all Trump has done is fearmonger, he's never done anything to actually address the problem. He also should have ended his part by reassuring Americans that even Trump doesn't have the power to manipulate the election - that would have set Trump off on a rant about all the ways he would try to manipulate it because he wouldn't be able to stand the idea that he was less than all-powerful. As another example, he should have gone back to Trump's refusal to condemn white supremacists - tell Trump that maybe he can start small, and just say that white people are not superior to any other race. See how long he can get Trump to flounder and equivocate instead of just condemning racists. Biden needs to push more to make Trump look like the tyrant he is.

excellent analysis
    Maybe you could send the Biden campaign a link to this thread.

Biden is a terrible candidate, and he missed many great opportunities on stage. He only looks good because the alternative is so much worse. Trump has a ton of insecurities, and Biden would do well if he preyed on them. For example, in the question about the doubts about the validity of the election, he should have pointed out how all Trump has done is fearmonger, he's never done anything to actually address the problem. He also should have ended his part by reassuring Americans that even Trump doesn't have the power to manipulate the election - that would have set Trump off on a rant about all the ways he would try to manipulate it because he wouldn't be able to stand the idea that he was less than all-powerful. As another example, he should have gone back to Trump's refusal to condemn white supremacists - tell Trump that maybe he can start small, and just say that white people are not superior to any other race. See how long he can get Trump to flounder and equivocate instead of just condemning racists. Biden needs to push more to make Trump look like the tyrant he is.
    Biden is playing it safe. He's ~8 points ahead in the polls and is tracking over 50% of the vote in most polls.

He doesn't need to push Trump harder on race which could backfire. He is playing it smart showing himself to be the sane alternative.

He might be polling ahead, but this is an unusual election, and the Trump side is going hard into voter suppression efforts. He needs to make sure people go through whatever it takes to get their vote cast, and anything that could give people a proper sense of urgency for their vote will help. He needs to convince all the people who are voting for Biden but think that Trump isn't actually that terrible that yes, he's a goddamn fascist and getting rid of him is the most important task this country has right now.

I think Biden is accomplishing that well and letting Trump speak for himself is achieving that.

Anyone who heard Trump tell the Proud Boys to be on standby who needed more than that to make that clear isn't going to be convinced by anything else either.

I'll be honest, I didn't know who the Proud Boys were until last night. But on topic: my point was that he should be handing Trump a shovel any time Trump wants to start digging. Goad him into speaking more and digging his hole deeper.

Really interesting to see the discussion amongst "principled" (hehe) "conservatives" (hehehe) after the president decided to act like a dumb fucking child on national TV, subtly—but obviously—encouraged his goons to engage in voter intimidation, and gave a shout-out to a ludicrous but still dangerous pack of far-right criminals, telling them to "stand by", just a week after refusing to commit to a peaceful transfer of power in the event that he loses the election. I disagree with Lewk—Trump should be Trump, so that voters are constantly reminded of who he is (a repugnant fucking clown supported by other repugnant fucking clowns such as his only supporter here). I also disagree with Wraith; I believe Biden should mostly carry on the way he has, because it keeps reinforcing his image as a mature, disciplined, decent and empathetic leader, who is sick of Trump's bullshit but primarily focused on helping Americans and the nation through this historically trying time. I hope the other moderators are going to be better than Wallace though.

Lol, what a shithead "the leader of the free world is" anyone who prefers him to Biden is clearly a shithead as well.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    just a week after refusing to commit to a peaceful transfer of power in the event that he loses the election.
    He refused again in the last debate. He's still laying groundwork to refuse to accept any result other than his victory.

I hope the other moderators are going to be better than Wallace though.
    I don't blame Wallace. He didn't have the tools he needed to do any better, and the Trump camp will never allow a moderator to have those tools. Ideally the candidates would be fitted with shock collars.

I like that, but I also see Wraith's point.

That's an easy out for Trump, and his supporters will swallow it. "Look, I want to debate, but I just know I'll be treated unfairly, because everyone treats me unfairly "
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I agree that Biden missed some opportunities, but we know he's not a great debater. Going for the kill might have very well led to a bad and unforced stumble. The only things anyone is talking about from yesterday's debate are Trump's interruptions and Trump's refusal to condemn white supremacists. That's a pretty damn good news cycle for Biden, especially when we're 5 weeks from the election and he's up ~7%.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Trump tried to trigger Biden's stutter and ended up shitting his own pants instead