Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "We need to take away children"

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

That's been clear for a long time, but at least they didn't delete, dump and shred the data now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I mean, why is a cash settlement appropriate?

I was listening to an interesting NPR segment recently about how migrants from several countries tend to make decisions based on rumor and less on actual news/policy. It's terrible, but there are people who are making supremely consequential life decisions (like trying to illegally cross the border because they heard Biden "opened" it) based on something they saw on a WhatApp group text

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I mean, why is a cash settlement appropriate?
    Because that's how the US legal system handles restitution. All harm boils down to a number. It's also how the civil system seeks to encourage good behavior and dissuade bad behavior in actors but the logic breaks down when the bad actor is the government. Yet it is very clearly not right that the government punishes private bad actors so much more harshly than public ones. There is no good solution. The closest to a decent solution is an end to qualified immunity.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I suppose I can see both sides of that argument — I can equally consider this as harm as much as a consequence of bringing children on an illegal border-crossing odyssey. But the numbers being thrown-around as a settlement are life-changing dollar amounts for anyone, and I feel will fuel only more illegal crossings.