Thread: Best Ryzen alternative to XPS 15?

Default Best Ryzen alternative to XPS 15?

Good chance my laptop has died, so I'm pretty urgently looking for a new one. Option 1 is a new XPS 15, and I'm curious about Ryzen alternatives.

In your opinion, which is the best new 13-15" Ryzen laptop right now? Will most often be docked. Reliability and warranty at a premium. Pref. matte screen and dedicated home/end keys.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

What did you end up with? :P I would say the new MacBook Air (and Pro, although it's not much different), are quite spectacular. 13 inches though. XPS 15 is a good option for Windows and 15 inches.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    What did you end up with? :P I would say the new MacBook Air (and Pro, although it's not much different), are quite spectacular. 13 inches though. XPS 15 is a good option for Windows and 15 inches.
    My laptop works again so I've been able to take my time with this decision Unless the price of a good XPS 15 drops sharply in the next few weeks, I think I'll end up buying a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 unfortunately no dedicated home/end keys. I really wanted the Asus Zephyrus G14 but it has no built-in webcam, and I'm gonna need that. There are some others that are gaming oriented, but none that really feel right. The Zenbook 14 might also fit, but I think it might have worse thermals than I'd like.
    Last edited by Aimless; 11-20-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

So I discovered that I apparently count as a student for discount purposes, on lenovo's website, and this discount stacks with their black friday sale. After an absolutely ridiculous amount of time spent on thinking and reading and watching far too many reviews, I decided to go with a P14s, which is basically their T14 chassi with Ryzen. It's thicker than I'd like, heavier than my spectre x360, and I suspect I'll be a little disappointed with the display... but I was able to spec it with a better display, w10 pro, 32 GB ram, and some other goodies, all for 1180 EUR/1412 USD, so I'm satisfied. The 8th gen X1 carbon was incredibly tempting, but I really wanted to go with the Ryzen platform. The T14s would've been fantastic, but I didn't get the option to change the display to a better version, and I know from seeing other thinkpads that Lenovo's display lottery is not for me. The Slim 7 was also not possible to configure, and I read a little too many worrying stories about hardware issues. HP's Ryzen 7 Elitebook couldn't be configured, and offered considerably less value in every respect. After my experiences with this Spectre, I wasn't keen on going down that route again, even though they are wonderful laptops when they work. Dell's XPS laptops cost much more than they're worth, to me. Similar issue with Surface Laptop 3 (but god damn are they gorgeous).

One major downside is that, because the whole thing is being handled by their Irish reseller, it might take forever for the laptop to arrive. Another downside is the 16:9 ratio on the display. Anyway, that's enough tech talk for now, I don't wanna have to think about tech ever again.
    — Bill Gates