Thread: Congrats Georgia

Default Congrats Georgia

And America

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Very, very good news.

Thank you to Mitch for personally ensuring GOP Senators rejected $2000 cheques going to voters days before the election.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

They can still cause a lot of trouble over the couple of weeks, but everything they do will be repaid with interest

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    They can still cause a lot of trouble over the couple of weeks, but everything they do will be repaid with interest
    Probably won't be because Biden is better than that.

Which is why hopefully the Democrats won't be in office for only one term while the GOP get their shit together.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Ossoff and Perdue runoff still too close to call - 2,000 votes between them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It's been called for Ossoff hasn't it?

Ossoff is clear in the lead and the remaining votes are in Democratic counties and mail in. Deja vu all over again, he's won.

It hasn't been called yet, but things look good. His lead has grown to ~16.5k, and what's remaining should be favorable to the Dems.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

And America

I really thought it would go the other way. The irony is Trump's ongoing tantrum about voter fraud in GA probably discouraged enough of the cool-aid crowd from voting (why vote if its rigged, after-all) to hand wins to the Dems. Maybe more cowards in Congress will find the guts to challenge Trump's vitriol now.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I really thought it would go the other way. The irony is Trump's ongoing tantrum about voter fraud in GA probably discouraged enough of the cool-aid crowd from voting (why vote if its rigged, after-all) to hand wins to the Dems. Maybe more cowards in Congress will find the guts to challenge Trump's vitriol now.
    Turnout was very high for this election. I don't know whether Trump's rhetoric suppressed his base's turnout much, but I doubt it. I suspect this is more to do with a successful GOTV operation by Democrats, especially in black areas. The full analysis will let us know how much we really saw discouraged voters in the group of people who actually believe Trump's BS.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Probably won't be because Biden is better than that.
    There must be negative consequences for harmful fuckery. You can choose the punishments judiciously to suit your political priorities, but you can't let proto-fascist attacks on democratic institutions and norms slide. There is nothing "better" about teaching sociopathic overgrown children that they can get away with hugely destructive political vandalism. Fortunately, most issues that are probably high up on the Democrats' agenda are also pretty punishing—provided those issues are acted on decisively.

There must be negative consequences for harmful fuckery. You can choose the punishments judiciously to suit your political priorities, but you can't let proto-fascist attacks on democratic institutions and norms slide. There is nothing "better" about teaching sociopathic overgrown children that they can get away with hugely destructive political vandalism. Fortunately, most issues that are probably high up on the Democrats' agenda are also pretty punishing—provided those issues are acted on decisively.

The voters have given the most appropriate punishment. Trump is a LOSER! SAD!

Mitch is a LOSER! SAD!

Trump joins Carter as the only first-term (for his party) Presidents since the start of the 20th century to fail to be re-elected.

Ossoff lead now 17k with primarily Democratic voters remaining.

This is karmic justice.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Turnout was very high for this election. I don't know whether Trump's rhetoric suppressed his base's turnout much, but I doubt it. I suspect this is more to do with a successful GOTV operation by Democrats, especially in black areas. The full analysis will let us know how much we really saw discouraged voters in the group of people who actually believe Trump's BS.
    Aside from suppressing turnout, I wonder if the post election tantrum and wiping his butt with the constitution while talking shit about a lot of Georgian GOP officials made people cross over.

Overall, I feel that both this and the general election could have been won by the GOP if trump (and his enablers) hadn't sabotaged themselves so badly.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Aside from suppressing turnout, I wonder if the post election tantrum and wiping his butt with the constitution while talking shit about a lot of Georgian GOP officials made people cross over.

Overall, I feel that both this and the general election could have been won by the GOP if trump (and his enablers) hadn't sabotaged themselves so badly.
    That helped, but the get out the vote effort by the Democratic Party* was monumental. They've been building this for years, and it paid off.

edit: *well, groups working with and to the benefit of the party, anyway
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post

I believe 100% that if Trump had responded to the pandemic with even marginal competence and leadership, he'd be president on Jan 20th. I can't imagine the mental cesspool that lead him to conclude denying/ downplaying/ pretending the pandemic wasn't there, and refusing any leadership role in the response, would somehow be the best for him politically. And here I realized my first thought of his mentation didn't even consider the heinous dereliction of duty as a president and a human being as part of his mental cesspool... FFS, we're all damaged by four years of Trump.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Trump joins Carter as the only first-term (for his party) Presidents since the start of the 20th century to fail to be re-elected.
    Uhm... George HW Bush?
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Uhm... George HW Bush?

George HW Bush was third term for his party. GOP had won 80, 84, 88.

There have been 13 elections since the start of the 20th century where the incumbent party had only a single term so far. Of those 11 saw the President of that party re-elected (frequently these had not won the prior election but had taken over as Veep) - the only exceptions were Carter and Trump.

Ah, I'm not sure why that's super relevant, but now I understand your distinction. Which also explains why you didn't have Taft or Hoover.

I think its relevant because the 'time for a change' mantra works just as well after 12 years as it does after 8. 4 years is truly exceptional on your side of the Pond.

And America

Well, I was wrong. I thought there was no chance the Dems would manage to get either seat. Like Rand I'd like to thank McConnell. I would also like to thank Trump for his contributions, and the Georgian Republican Party. If they hadn't put so much effort into keeping Stacy Abrams out, the organization she built might not have pulled this off.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I have a few Facebook friends who have too much time on their hands and comment on local news pages. There was an astounding number of Republicans on those pages calling the Georgia GOP traitors and swearing they'll never vote for them again. This is an election Republicans should have won by 4-5% based on previous run-off results. Both Republicans lost about 3% in the polls in November as belief about election fraud became nearly universal in Republican circles.

Warnock being black increased African American turnout, but that doesn't explain the Republican senators' underperformance in most counties, including really white ones.

I did some digging on this issue by the way. Belief that elections are fraudulent depresses turnout in all kinds of countries. The belief doesn't suddenly disappear either. It's going to be the gift that keeps on giving.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Well, I was wrong. I thought there was no chance the Dems would manage to get either seat. Like Rand I'd like to thank McConnell. I would also like to thank Trump for his contributions, and the Georgian Republican Party. If they hadn't put so much effort into keeping Stacy Abrams out, the organization she built might not have pulled this off.
    Someone should really try to get Trump to endorse malaria or multidrug-resistant TB next