Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How it's going—Proud Boys edition

For god's sake, WHY? I suppose it's not a lot compared to their overall fundraising but why bother? Yeah, ok, the prosecutions are viewed as politically motivated but so what? It's not like the man can't afford the legal fees, or even just fundraise himself. I can believe he's the biggest fundraising draw they have right now but that's just because they made him that. He didn't outperform past Presidents or candidates in that regard proportionally, so that's just about him having been in the top position, not anything to do with being Trump.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Yeah, ok, the prosecutions are viewed as politically motivated but so what?
    Of course they'd say that, but there's no telling whether they actually believe it. Trump has been establishing a pattern of trying to hold the Republican party hostage to get everyone to kiss the ring - my guess is that this was one of his demands that they gave in to so as not to upset him and try to keep him under some form of control. They don't want him going on another "don't vote" tour that costs them more elections, or trying to form another political party as he has threatened to do in the past.

There's also growing evidence that Trump might be way, way poorer than he wants anyone to realize. He's got money available, but he might be massively over-leveraged and living off loans he was only able to get due to fraud. We'll see what happens with the New York cases against him.

Trump has cash flow problems and if he's busted for fraud or whatever he'll drag several Republicans down with him. Their best strategy is to keep serving him, until he dies and they can raise a Trump knockoff to the throne.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Trump is now filing lawsuits to stop the investigations into him in New York, claiming that investigating crimes violates his constitutional rights against "viewpoint discrimination." I wonder if New York's anti-SLAPP laws can be used here - I know it's out of the normal scope of those laws, but it'd be some delicious irony if Trump trying to abuse the legal system once again caused him even more legal troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Trump is now filing lawsuits to stop the investigations into him in New York, claiming that investigating crimes violates his constitutional rights against "viewpoint discrimination." I wonder if New York's anti-SLAPP laws can be used here - I know it's out of the normal scope of those laws, but it'd be some delicious irony if Trump trying to abuse the legal system once again caused him even more legal troubles.

Letting the government use anti-SLAPP to shut down lawsuits about overzealous prosecution would be a terrible idea
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Yeah, it might be, but there should also be something to prevent people from trying to use frivolous lawsuits to prevent or slow down lawful investigations. At least a conditional "loser pays" rule so that it's not costing a pile of taxpayer dollars.

The "new" Republican Party is a shithole of anti-democratic grifters and authoritarians who just want power. It's not even about Trump at this point, but the enablers riding his coattails of white identity and grievance politics, and exploiting the judicial branch for political purposes. Let's Go Brandon, Yee Haw USA #1!

This Peter Navarro interview is worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

This Peter Navarro interview is worth watching.
    Especially loved this part:

https://i.imgur.com/bgsfVz8.mp4

Supreme Court refused to block release of Trump records in 8-1 decision. Finally.

Clarence Thomas was the one hold-out, but in the majority opinion they ruled that even if Trump were still the President they would refuse to block the release.

I think we're going to be finding out some really wild shit in the near future.

In other news, the leaders of the America First movement have been subpoenaed today.

Good developments, but, let's not forget that those mfers were pretty good at not keeping records

Georgia DA asks for special grand jury with subpoena powers. Lindsey Graham is also being targeted by this investigation.

Senior White House Advisor and nepotism recipient Ivanka Trump asked to voluntarily speak to Jan. 6th commission No response yet AFAIK.

And surprising nobody, Trump campaign officials, led by Giuliani, were coordinating the fake electors.

This is moving so fast that I might be starting to develop a news addiction. It's impressive how more than a year later, the coup plot still manages to keep on getting worse and worse.

Start at 6:40 to watch another person confess to conspiring to overthrow democracy.

Trump's administration drafted an executive order to seize voting machines. Here's the juicy bits:

Accordingly, I hereby order:

(1) Effective immediately, the Secretary of Defense shall seize, collect, retain and analyze all
    machines, equipment, electronically stored information, and material records required for
    retention under United States Code Title 42, Sections 1974-1974(e), including but not limited to
    those identified in footnote 1. The Secretary of Defense has discretion to determine the interdiction of
    national critical infrastructure supporting federal elections. Designated locations
    will be identified in the operation order.

(2) Within 7 days of commencement of operations, the initial assessment must be provided to the
    Office of the Director of National Intelligence. The final assessment must be provided to the
    Office of the Director of National Intelligence no later than 60 days from commencement of
    operations.

(3) The Director of National Intelligence shall deliver this assessment and appropriate
    supporting information to the President, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Treasury, the
    Secretary of Defense, the Attorney General, and the Secretary of Homeland Security.

(4) A direct liaison to be authorized to coordinate as required between the applicable U.S.
    Departments and Agencies.

(5) The Secretary of Defense may select by name or by unit federalization of appropriate
    National Guard support.

(6) The Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland Security will coordinate support
    requirements as needed from the Department of Homeland Security.

(7) The appointment of a Special Counsel to oversee this operation and institute all criminal
    and civil proceedings as appropriate based on the evidence collected and provided all resources
    necessary to carry out her duties consistent with federal laws and the Constitution.
    tl;dr: If issued, Trump would've seized election materials and created a pretense for Trump to remain in power until at least February.

I find it remarkable that Republicans and their unrepentant enablers dare participate in the public debate—or have any social standing—after doing the equivalent of fucking a goat.

They can get away with it because a vast majority of voters - especially independents and Republicans - don't care. The US has utterly failed in teaching its people the importance of democracy.
    Hope is the denial of reality

People don't care because it's not being treated as a major story. Look at what occurred this side of the pond, people 'didn't care' about Johnson's fuckery until, suddenly, they did.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    People don't care because it's not being treated as a major story. Look at what occurred this side of the pond, people 'didn't care' about Johnson's fuckery until, suddenly, they did.
    Almost - it's not being treated as a major story on all networks. Most mainstream US news networks can't stop talking about it, but it barely rates a mention Fox News, whose hosts were active participants in the coup attempt. Unfortunately they have a larger audience than MSNBC + CNN combined. Then there's the more fringe networks like Newsmax and OANN, which mostly report on the devil juices in vaccines and other bullshit.

Treating something as a "major story" (ie. news) will never get you to the point where people destroying democracy are treated with the same contempt as a guy who fucked a goat. Think the connection between news and social phenomena is a bit tenuous in this respect.

I think that most voters aren't going to care until the ringleaders start getting arrested, which can't start soon enough. From the timing of Bannon's contempt trial, I'd guess that the DoJ is planning on rounding people up in the summer/late spring, assuming they're not just sitting on their asses.

Meanwhile, in a totally normal democracy, a former political leader is trying to impede a Congressional investigation into an attempted coup, by threatening investigators:

I'll just keep using this thread as the coup thread.

14 fake electors subpoenaed by Jan 6. Commission. It's all the people listed in the fraudulent documents as either the chairperson or secretary. Both the National Archives and the DoJ have recently confirmed that there are ongoing investigations around them.

It's also worth noting that the Arizona Secretary of State asked the Arizona AG to prosecute the fraudulent electors for violations of state and federal laws, but the AG has been too busy trying to convince Trump to endorse him for reelection to do anything about it.

The Finding Out is here

Since Republicans had TWO chances to impeach AND convict Trump based on Rules and Laws, but did not....I don't think they care about the attempted coup. Procedure and process is just an inconvenience they're willing to exploit/manipulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    If the Vice President (Mike Pence) had ‘absolutely no right’ to change the Presidential Election results in the Senate, despite fraud and many other irregularities, how come the Democrats and RINO Republicans, like Wacky Susan Collins, are desperately trying to pass legislation that will not allow the Vice President to change the results of the election?

Actually, what they are saying, is that Mike Pence did have the right to change the outcome, and they now want to take that right away. Unfortunately, he didn’t exercise that power, he could have overturned the Election!
    From Trump. This is brazen, even for him. He's just openly admitting that he wanted to steal the election now - right after calling for attacks "the biggest protests ever" on anyone who tries to prosecute him and promising to pardon the Jan 6 insurrectionists. The DoJ needs to get their ass in gear and put this lunatic behind bars.