Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How it's going—Proud Boys edition

I don't think it's "wrong" to acknowledge that immunity agreements (or plea deals) can backfire, and fail to hold people accountable for criminal acts. Or that certain people (with rank, privilege, or wealth) have access to highly-paid teams of lawyers who routinely exploit our "justice" system.

I could go on about the reality of "Two Americas", but you'd just accuse me of conflating issues or being stupid.

Oh, they can certainly backfire and did in this case. It just has nothing whatsoever to do with "colonel" being a decent-level military rank. And North didn't have a highly-paid legal team for it either AFAIK (though, by dint of simply being in the position he was in, betwixt Congress and the rest of the administration, he certainly was referred to superior and aptly specialized legal counsel)
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 09-18-2021 at 02:31 AM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    And to combine a few threads together....it's outrageous that Lt. General Michael Flynn continues to get a large military pension even tho he betrayed the pubic trust. Ditto for Oliver North.
    When you are closer to politics you learn there are more shades of grey in that what media tells you. Once I tried to know people in the world of politics. Sometimes these shades are darker, and some other times the black and white tale is just darker and misrepresents and smears good intentioned people. So you could love bad people and feel disgust towards good people.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

If true, these members should be expelled.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The people who criticized the use of the term "attempted coup" to describe the situation look sillier by the day.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    If true, these members should be expelled.

It's Rolling Stone so proceed with caution. But note - that if there was confirmed proof of talk about invading the actual capital by all means that's a big deal. Organizing the protest with no mention of invading the capital would be a nothing burger because that is just organizing a protest, something that's perfectly fine to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    It's Rolling Stone so proceed with caution. But note - that if there was confirmed proof of talk about invading the actual capital by all means that's a big deal. Organizing the protest with no mention of invading the capital would be a nothing burger because that is just organizing a protest, something that's perfectly fine to do.
    "Organizing" the "protest" in a manner that can be expected to lead to the violent disruption of the govt's most important functions is, frankly, either criminally stupid or traitorous—both of which should be completely disqualifying.

Especially if it's true they were warned, even by their own organisers, that there was a likelihood of violence, ánd chose not to increase security which was clearly lacking.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The people who criticized the use of the term "attempted coup" to describe the situation look sillier by the day.
    They'll get a chance to redeem themselves in 2024, albeit likely too late to avert calamity.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    They'll get a chance to redeem themselves in 2024, albeit likely too late to avert calamity.
    They won't need to. A bunch of GOP-run states will say Trump won whether he did or not. GOP secretaries of state with integrity are being replaced by Trump sycophants. Governors won't step in either this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    "Organizing" the "protest" in a manner that can be expected to lead to the violent disruption of the govt's most important functions is, frankly, either criminally stupid or traitorous—both of which should be completely disqualifying.

Except, unfortunately, while the protests merged in implementation they were initially organized separately. Do I think there were people who overlapped and intended for "maximum impact"? Sure (MTG, for instance). And people certainly knew the Capitol one was going forward. But the testimony mentioned so far can't speak to that and there likely won't ever be any real evidence of it. Even the pardon material, since it came from a Congress-critter and not directly from someone in the Oval Office, doesn't amount to much
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

They won't need to. A bunch of GOP-run states will say Trump won whether he did or not. GOP secretaries of state with integrity are being replaced by Trump sycophants. Governors won't step in either this time.
    I call that a coup. Or would it technically be a stolen election? Or the start of a civil war, maybe, with half the country supporting Trump and the rest sticking with Democracy?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    It's not "fine" to prevent congress from certifying the Electoral College votes -- which were already reviewed, recounted, and litigated in multiple courts. That's the very definition of a coup. And if Pence had done what Trump wanted him to do, that would be sedition.

The Rolling Stone report is possible evidence that the attempted coup had inside support. An attempted coup isn't more 'palatable' as a 1st Amendment issue just because some congress people were complicit -- it's actually more disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    It's not "fine" to prevent congress from certifying the Electoral College votes -- which were already reviewed, recounted, and litigated in multiple courts. That's the very definition of a coup. And if Pence had done what Trump wanted him to do, that would be sedition.

The Rolling Stone report is possible evidence that the attempted coup had inside support. An attempted coup isn't more 'palatable' as a 1st Amendment issue just because some congress people were complicit -- it's actually more disturbing.
    Are you retarded? Organizing a protest is not a coup. People can organize a protest and rally behind how the true form of government should be a monarchy and that would be perfectly legal.

Organizing the protest with no mention of invading the capital would be a nothing burger because that is just organizing a protest, something that's perfectly fine to do.

But more was done than just a protest, Lewk, and what was done was not perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Click to view the full version
    This moron (the fake shaman, not the Cheeto) got sentenced to 41 months in federal prison today. Not nearly long enough, but the news still made my day.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Poor Trump. Soon possibly provably poor Trump. He's not been having a good go of it lately. Just a short time after details about every avenue he was pursuing for his sad little coup attempt were made public, a judge he appointed refused to block Congress from getting his tax returns and even ruled that they can now be legally made public if certain Congress members choose. Then his accountants get flipped against him and put before a grand jury in criminal fraud charges levied against him. Then it's revealed that everyone around him was begging him to call off the attack on the Capitol hours before he realized the insurrection wasn't going to succeed and finally decided to call them off, and so many of his supporters are revealed as having pants that have inexplicably caught fire. But the kicker has to be Cheney's word choice ahead of Meadows' contempt charges (and repeated on the House floor, so not an accident) - she revealed that the Jan. 6 committee is going after Trump on criminal obstruction of congress charges, which can send him to prison for up to 5 years. The only way this week could get any worse for him is if the Georgia election interference case or one of the other cases against him decided they were ready to proceed. I'd feel bad for him if he didn't deserve so much worse.

Any bets on who the mystery congress member is who the House Committee says took part in Trump's Jan. 6 schemes?

Meanwhile, Trump's approval hasn't changed. That's the America we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Any bets on who the mystery congress member is who the House Committee says took part in Trump's Jan. 6 schemes?
    Well, it's already leaked. It's Jim Jordan. I guess sexual assaults aren't the only thing he can help cover up - he can do the same for any crime.
    Last edited by Wraith; 12-16-2021 at 06:05 AM.

Here's hoping his supporters either wake the fuck up to the mountain of evidence against him, or collect a Herman Cain award soon.

In their eyes, it's a mountain of evidence for him.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

People have already made up their mind and they're just going to flat out disbelieve materials which disagree. And it goes both ways. We could receive incontrovertible and convincing proof that Trump had nothing to do with it, that he was kept insulated and protected from even the intent of wrong-doing by the people around him and I'd still want him taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    People have already made up their mind and they're just going to flat out disbelieve materials which disagree. And it goes both ways. We could receive incontrovertible and convincing proof that Trump had nothing to do with it, that he was kept insulated and protected from even the intent of wrong-doing by the people around him and I'd still want him taken out.
    Trump violated so many rules and norms that an extra one wouldn't really matter. But one would hope that a president trying to pull off a self-coup would be concerning even to those who otherwise agree with him. Obviously not in present-day America though. And before you say this is just partisan politics: leaders in other Western democracies have been axed by their own supporters and/or party for much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Here's hoping his supporters either wake the fuck up to the mountain of evidence against him, or collect a Herman Cain award soon.
    They'll go to their grave shouting Trump's name much like Soviet dissidents shouted "glory to Stalin" as they were being executed.

Zip to 10:15 to hear why none of the stuff that's coming out matters to conservatives.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Criminal charges expected to be filed next week in the Trump tax evasion/fraud case. It's also been revealed that the Republican party has had to start funneling Trump more money than was previously known; I guess he's not successful enough to pay his own bills.

Or they're just that beholden to him.

What does that mean specifically, the GOP funneling money to Trump?

They're paying 1.6 million to cover his personal legal defense of his business practices.

The GOP reportedly agreed to fund up to $1.6 million of former President Trump’s legal bills to fight probes into his business practices in New York, according to the Washington Post.

The Post reported that the party’s executive committee overwhelmingly approved the payments during a meeting last summer in Nashville, indicating that the GOP’s vow to fund Trump’s personal legal fees is 10 times higher than previously known.

Last month, the GOP claimed in campaign-finance filings that it paid the former president’s personal attorneys $121,670 in October. According to the Post, the party has issued more payments since then with the RNC paying $578,000 last month to attorneys representing both Trump and his businesses.

The payments are reportedly expected to continue in the next several months, and the executive committee could move to fund more than $1.6 million in Trump’s legal bills.

The RNC’s funding of up to $1.6 million of Trump’s legal fees is meant to fund Trump’s defense against two investigations of his business: a civil investigation by New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) as well as a criminal probe by James and Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance (D).

“The RNC’s Executive Committee approved paying for certain legal expenses that relate to politically motivated legal proceedings waged against President Trump,” Emma Vaughn, a GOP spokeswoman, told the Post in a statement Thursday. “As a leader of our party, defending President Trump and his record of achievement is critical to the GOP.”

According to the Post, the RNC’s first payments in October went to Ronald Fischetti, who has served as Trump’s personal lawyer in the New York investigations.

On Thursday, the RNC told the Post that it paid Fischetti again last month, in addition to two new law firms, which include the firm of Susan Necheles, who was listed as an attorney for Trump’s longtime chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg and two Trump corporate entities when indicted by Vance on tax fraud charges last summer.

The Post also reported that the RNC said it paid the law firm of Michael van der Veen, a Philadelphia-based personal injury and defense lawyer who served as part of Trump’s defense team in his second impeachment trial earlier this year for “incitement of insurrection.”

GOP officials privately say that the former president is the biggest fundraising draw for the party, and they hope to maintain a good rapport with him heading into next year’s midterm elections and before the 2024 presidential election, according to the Post. Trump advisers say that RNC chair Ronna McDaniel is regularly in touch with the former president and has urged him against starting a third party.

Although some members have demanded for the GOP be more independent from Trump, a large majority of the party’s 168-member committee continues to back the former president, according to the Post.
    Source

Although we already knew that Trump didn't like paying his own legal bills, so maybe they had to do this to prevent him from trying to defend himself. People have said to him, they said with tears in their eyes, I wouldn't have said it but they said, they said "Trump, you are the greatest legal mind this world has ever known and you won the 2020 election."