Thread: The murder of Manuel Ellis

Default The murder of Manuel Ellis

Remarkable and tragic story:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Thank you for sharing.

What happened to George Floyd and Manuel Ellis are symptoms of a much larger problem in the USA - that the whole of society was founded on racism - eradication of the native population and use of black people as slaves. Deep rooted racist sentiments are intergenerational and depending on the socioeconomic class of the person, hidden or apparent and expressed in a variety of subtle or overt ways. (How much you express your racism depends what you have got to lose, basically.) There is not going to be any major 'turning point' - and George Floyd will be forgotten soon.

Lucky for Monet, someone had a fucking video of the incident. Sadly, I'm sure there are tons of other incidents that will never reach our attentions.

The US will never change. I want to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BluntHorse View Post
    Thank you for sharing.

What happened to George Floyd and Manuel Ellis are symptoms of a much larger problem in the USA - that the whole of society was founded on racism - eradication of the native population and use of black people as slaves. Deep rooted racist sentiments are intergenerational and depending on the socioeconomic class of the person, hidden or apparent and expressed in a variety of subtle or overt ways. (How much you express your racism depends what you have got to lose, basically.) There is not going to be any major 'turning point' - and George Floyd will be forgotten soon.

Lucky for Monet, someone had a fucking video of the incident. Sadly, I'm sure there are tons of other incidents that will never reach our attentions.

The US will never change. I want to be wrong.
    I think you might be wrong about the memory of George Floyd. Important to remember that, even though racist conservative forces are desperately trying to regain their hold on power, society as a whole is slowly changing—both wrt racial/ethnic composition as well as wrt the salience of previously fringe or activist progressive positions (eg. racism and excessive force in policing—now a mainstream political subject). A generation from now, if US democracy survives the onslaught of conservative terrorists, society is likely to be considerably more progressive.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."