Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instigating Insurrection, Trial By Senate

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I just find it amusing how little faith the Democrats have in Biden. Do they really think the country is going to go that much into the shitter that the people will elect Trump in 2024?
    Getting rid of Trump is more in the GOP's interest than in the Democrats' interest. In case you haven't noticed, the GOP hasn't been doing great in elections ever since they chose Trump as their standard-bearer. And a quarter of Republicans now think Trump is insane.
    Hope is the denial of reality

That low, huh.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Probably higher, but they're scared of his supporters. They'll start an armed insurrection on his command and he's even willing to send them to hang his own VP if he feels slighted, after all. I'm willing to bet that some of the Republicans who vote against impeachment/conviction are secretly hoping for it.

The only way spineless (R) senators would vote to convict is if they used "anonymous" ballots. Is there anything in the rules preventing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Probably higher, but they're scared of his supporters. They'll start an armed insurrection on his command and he's even willing to send them to hang his own VP if he feels slighted, after all. I'm willing to bet that some of the Republicans who vote against impeachment/conviction are secretly hoping for it.
    I meant a quarter of self-identifying Republican voters.

What's the percentage of "self-identifying Republicans" who'll admit the GOP has become a cult? Are any of them sitting US Senators?

Plan B is a Censure Resolution -- that would bar Trump from holding elected office again?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Getting rid of Trump is more in the GOP's interest than in the Democrats' interest. In case you haven't noticed, the GOP hasn't been doing great in elections ever since they chose Trump as their standard-bearer. And a quarter of Republicans now think Trump is insane.
    If that were the case then Dems wouldn't be pushing for it. I don't have a crystal ball but it feels like the left thinks the conditions in the country won't be great for their electoral chances in 2/4 years.

If that were the case then Dems wouldn't be pushing for it. I don't have a crystal ball but it feels like the left thinks the conditions in the country won't be great for their electoral chances in 2/4 years.

Nonsense. About them not pushing for it, anyway. There's not just principle involved, there's vengeance and even sheer pettiness.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Sure, your reasoning makes sense if you also do not care about the harm he has done to the nation as a whole. See, if Democrats had their heads stuck so far up their asses that they only cared about harming the Republican party electorally, they would consider Trump an asset. But, because they share a country with Republicans, and know that Trump will harm everyone—even more than he already has—they will push to have him punished in every way possible. Criminals who attack democracy, get hundreds of thousands of people killed, and traumatize thousands of children and their parents must be punished and prevented from ever being able to do anything like that again. It's a matter of principle and a matter of self-preservation. For people who don't have their heads stuck up their asses
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Evidence of the great departure. To figure out the real number, look at the percentage of Republicans who've left in the states where party registration is a thing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-after-capitol

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Butch Bowers and Deborah Barbier, who were expected to be two of the lead attorneys, are no longer on the team. A source familiar with the changes said it was a mutual decision for both to leave the legal team. As the lead attorney, Bowers assembled the team.

Josh Howard, a North Carolina attorney who was recently added to the team, has also left, according to another source familiar with the changes. Johnny Gasser and Greg Harris, from South Carolina, are no longer involved with the case, either.

No other attorneys have announced they are working on Trump's impeachment defense.

A person familiar with the departures told CNN that Trump wanted the attorneys to argue there was mass election fraud and that the election was stolen from him rather than focus on the legality of convicting a president after he's left office. Trump was not receptive to the discussions about how they should proceed in that regard.
    tl;dr: Trump wanted his lawyers to perjure themselves for him, they decided they'd rather go do something else.

Last edited by Wraith; 01-31-2021 at 02:51 PM.