Thread: Dyson Sphere Project

Default Dyson Sphere Project

Anyone see this on Steam? Looks interesting - lots of potential.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I'll probably give it a try eventually. I gotta admit though, Chinese developers make me nervous.

Overwhelmingly Positive - review summary on Steam.

Like the look of it.

Worth a shout for 20 bucks

Downloading - will report back later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'll probably give it a try eventually. I gotta admit though, Chinese developers make me nervous.

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Couple of hours in.

I'm hooked.

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Looks impressive.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Alright, am a good few hours in now.

It's a bit of a copy of Factorio in some aspects - there are many similarities, and not just from the conveyor belts and splitters point of view which are fairly universal to these logistickle games.

The research system is practically identical. You have Matrix buildings which build research cubes from various components, and the research cubes feed into Research Buildings which conduct the research. You get higher and higher levels of research cubes, each advancing level requiring more complex components to manufacture them, and each level of a different colour. So far so Factorio. It remains a good system though.

There are two research trees, one for advancing buildings and components, the other for advancing your mech. And both trees are suitably enormous.

Where it breaks from Factorio and moves more into Satisfactory territory is the 3d aspect. Conveyors can be built upwards and upwards, so can layer up and criss-cross as much as you like. There is a vertical logistics system too which I have not unlocked yet, but I am assuming it would be like the vertical lift conveyors in Satisfactory. Certain buildings can also be built on top of each other, forming towers. This is good system and works well.

Liquids are a bit of a disappointment. Liquids are packaged as cubes and run along a normal conveyor. I much prefer to play with pipe systems.

The mech is good and fun to move around. As you advance through the tech tree you get increased capacities, speed, inventory space, increased number of increasingly powerful construction drones - drones here being another copy of Factorio - and increased abilities to fly.

Eventually, that flight aspect allows you to fly firstly around your starting planet, then secondly to other planets within your particular starting star system, and eventually beyond to other systems.

Your starting planet will only have certain types of resource, so you need to venture out to other planets to mine new resources. Then you set up intra- and inter-system transportation shuttles to automatically move resources and components from planet to planet. I have not reached this point yet but it is the next step in my current game - and appears to be an excellent aspect to Dyson Sphere and it is here where it would really diverge from both Factorio and Satisfactory.

Very much enjoying it so far - gets a recommendation from me.

[

I am looking for a game to play in between Satisfactory sessions, but I don't think another factory game.

Shame though, because it looks really interesting. On the other hand, no shame because I'll wait this one out until it gets out of early access.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Got that ball done yet Timmy?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I am looking for a game to play in between Satisfactory sessions, but I don't think another factory game.

Shame though, because it looks really interesting. On the other hand, no shame because I'll wait this one out until it gets out of early access.
    I killed quite a few hours with Prosperity, which I think might be up your alley. Screenshots make it look like an idle game, and it does have some elements, but it's a good bit more involved and active than that. It's only $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I killed quite a few hours with Prosperity, which I think might be up your alley. Screenshots make it look like an idle game, and it does have some elements, but it's a good bit more involved and active than that. It's only $10.
    Do like the look of it, I'll keep it in mind.

But at the moment I also have a game of HOI4 going, so gaming time is all spent. In light of recent events, I'm going with fascist America. These Nazis aren't so bad, they're just misunderstood.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Got that ball done yet Timmy?
    Restarted a couple a times till I'm satisfied enough with the mechanics of the game and know enough to put down sensible expandable layouts and chains. Current game is one I will proceed on.

Still not left the starting planet

Many more hours in now.

I've covered a little under half of the starting planet in production chains.

[/url]20210220123512_1

I have spread across the home system and have resources coming in from a couple of other planets in-system.

The initial phases of Dyson stuff are underway. First steps are Dyson swarms, which are orbits of solar sails which capture energy from a star, which then beam energy back to planet.

These solar sails are launched by huge rail guns. In the image above you can see a stream of blue objects from the home planet out to the swarm - these are solar sails being fired at the swarm.

Planning for the Dyson Sphere itself is underway.

... and the build phase has begun.

Components to build the latticework structure are launched by rocket.

And eventually the solar sails which are fired by the rail guns will fill the gaps in the lattice instead of the swarm, and this completes the Sphere.

This works really well, is a good system. Takes a loooooong time though, so am spending the intervening period in optimising inefficiencies in the underlying logistics systems.

I have researched the ability to warp to other stars out-system now, which will allow me to find rarer resoures and minerals in other systems, which enhance production chains - but as yet have not warped out to explore other systems. This is next on the list as the Dyson Sphere continues to be built.

An excellent game this, still heartily recommend it.

Wow looks great!

Indeed. It really does look great.

With Evil genius 2 coming 30th of March and the update for Satisfactory weeks away, I will happily wait for release of this game.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Ooh, a new evil genius game is coming? I liked the old one back in the days.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Yeh I hadn't heard of it till Zigz mentioned it, so have just been looking into it.

Will buy for sure.