Thread: Will the UK prevail in the war on wokeness?

Default Will the UK prevail in the war on wokeness?

It is simultaneously one of the most ridiculous and important cultural and political conflicts developing in the western world right now, having rapidly infected the UK polity with Republican American brain-worms, with dozens of moves and counter-moves now being made every week by the bitterly divided combatants. To be sure, one side is clearly more wrong than the other, but which side shall prevail? Who is more righteous? Who is better armed, with facts and arguments? Who has the support of the law, and who should have it? What should bystanders do? What has actually happened, and why? It's a messy issue in great need of clarity—about the facts, if nothing else.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Can you let us know what you're talking about? What war on wokeness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Can you let us know what you're talking about? What war on wokeness?
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ritish-history

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-g...story-culture/

“Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

You read the Express?

I think I found your problem.

Will read the others later on when I have the time to do so, busy now, but I'm not reading the Express. Ignore that shit. Next you'll be telling us that Diana is aliving and living with Madeleine McCann
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    You read the Express?

I think I found your problem.

Will read the others later on when I have the time to do so, busy now, but I'm not reading the Express. Ignore that shit. Next you'll be telling us that Diana is aliving and living with Madeleine McCann
    I provided the link to the express for your benefit, and the other two links for the benefit of people who are not you. The least you could do is express some gratitude for the wholly unearned consideration I have shown to bigoted Little Englanders.
    — Bill Gates

I don't read the Express TYVM.

Read the Politico and Telegraph pieces. Seems a few sensible little changes but much ado about nothing, I wouldn't call it a war and I don't know who does since that phrase wasn't accredited to anyone.

On the issues mentioned:
    1: Free Speech at Universities is important, everybody should value free speech.
    2: Charities are not supposed to get involved with politics not related to their charitable status. Doing so is illegal and the government is responsible for that so reminding them of that fact is not really shocking.
    3: Statues represent history, both good and bad. Historically significant buildings already are 'listed' and can't be removed without consent, it makes sense for statues to be the same.
    4: TV channels like Channel 4 have a legal responsibility in this country to be impartial, unlike the press, though Channel 4 is rather unabashedly leftwing.

As for the idea that this distracts from the pandemic this is absolutely nonsense. The pandemic and especially the vaccine rollout is the #1 story in this country and will be for months to come - and the vaccine news over the weekend that the target of offering to vaccinate the first 4 priority groups (all clinically extremely vulnerable, all over 70 year olds, all health and social care workers) has been completed days early was great news so the idea there's an attempt to distract from that is pathetic spin that its ridiculous to quote or take seriously. However the Communities Secretary is not especially involved with this stage of the health response compared to eg the Health Secretary or the Vaccines Minister.

It's hysterical, bad-faith right-wing culture-war nonsense, intended to placate xenophobes, racists and puffed-up Little Englanders who're mad about their waning social & cultural clout. That is the context for these developments, and I realize context is not something that exists in your universe.

It is also blatantly hypocritical; a lot of public money will be expended on this overtly political and anti-intellectual project to ensure Britain isn't made to look as bad as it was (and is)—"to defend [Britain's] culture and history from the noisy minority of activists constantly trying to do Britain down," or, in reality, to defend history from... historians.

Changing perspectives on history is an inherent feature of history as an academic discipline. For a body such as the National Trust to engage with and respond to modern scholarship is not an example of illegally "getting involved with politics not related to their charitable status" requiring a "reminder" from some sniveling crony; on the contrary, it is a perfect example of what they're supposed to do, as a part of responsibly fulfilling their mission. The poorly-disguised efforts to deter them from pursuing that mission, however, is a fantastic example of stifling freedom of speech for political ends—and it will have a chilling effect.
    Last edited by Aimless; 02-16-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It is simultaneously one of the most ridiculous and important cultural and political conflicts developing in the western world right now, having rapidly infected the UK polity with Republican American brain-worms, with dozens of moves and counter-moves now being made every week by the bitterly divided combatants. To be sure, one side is clearly more wrong than the other, but which side shall prevail? Who is more righteous? Who is better armed, with facts and arguments? Who has the support of the law, and who should have it? What should bystanders do? What has actually happened, and why? It's a messy issue in great need of clarity—about the facts, if nothing else.

Well, according to an article I was reading last week, the French academics are siding with those fighting wokeness. It is apparently just more US cultural imperialism.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Well, according to an article I was reading last week, the French academics are siding with those fighting wokeness. It is apparently just more US cultural imperialism.
    Are these the same ones who seem to have a soft spot for incest and pedophilia?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    They'll have to wait until their government is done fighting "Islamo-Leftism".
    — Bill Gates

Thread about the government's evidence base/reliance on creepy dingbats:

— Bill Gates