Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Default Euro 2020

The Euro 2020 competition has been rescheduled to this year.

Unlike traditional World Cups and Euros this one wasn't to be hosted in any particular country but instead hosted all across Europe, with teams flying all around Europe for their games.

Seven fixtures are scheduled to be in the UK ending with the Semi Finals and the Final.

Obviously this pan European high travel, lots of flights scheme was designed pre pandemic. Given the state of the pandemic surely it would make more sense for this competition to be hosted in the UK exclusively like a traditional competition and have a pan European one in a future year when the world isn't undergoing a global pandemic?

The UK was already going to host the final and semi finals anyway. By the Summer the UK vaccinations should have largely eliminated the virus from this country, it should be possible to have crowds in the stadiums and surely most importantly it would give a single country that all teams could enter early, have quarantine (if quarantines are still required by then) and not need to mess around with quarantines or flights during a pandemic during the competition itself?

The idea of a pan European Cup was a fun one I was looking forward to and it should be revived in a future year. But during a pandemic surely there are better ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I see it's now been proposed

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I don't care very much either way, but the old many countries plan doesn't seem so great under the circumstances. I could see the UK take over, you have plenty of suitable stadiums if needed and are doing better in terms of vaccinations. If the infection rates are low enough then, it makes sense to me.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Yes there's definitely plenty of stadiums available. As there would be if France or most other countries offered too.

Football without fans in the stadiums isn't the same thing. It won't affect the England team much (all England's group games and if we make it that far the Semi Final and Final were due to be held at Wembley anyway) but other countries squads jetting around the continent mid pandemic is a strange idea.

If the UK taking over keeps teams safe, avoids the threat of quarantines (LFCs Champions League game against RB Leipzig couldn't take place in Germany a few days ago due to quarantine restrictions) and allows fans in the stadiums then it seems a no brainer for a pandemic.

This is ridiculous, the best and most obvious candidate is Israel.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

By the summer? Why?

Israel isn't one of the 12 host countries in the first place and Israel failed to qualify too. So it would be very strange getting them to host it having already been eliminated from the competition.

If you relocate it to Israel and give their team hosting entry rights despite having already been eliminated from the competition then who would you bump out who has won qualification? Or how would you manage it?

Do they have enough stadia fit to host it? I genuinely don't know that. Israel have offered the use of 3 stadia but that would be to replace any that can't be used it wouldn't be enough to host a whole competition realistically. Whereas the UK has more than enough.

From an Italian sports journalist looks like it's probably going to happen. Sensible, despite the predictable Anglophobia from Aimless.

England is a good backup anyway, since the premier league is the top league in the world (overall, so not just looking at the top 2/3). If i recall correctly for recent cups whenever there was a doubt about the host country banding, England was suggested each time. And that's aside from the covid situation, where the UK is clearly ahead in terms of vaccinations.

Plus most host countries lose money right? Surely even anglophobes can support this Depending on travel restrictions and quarantine rules (which I assume will still be a thing in summer), UK would gain a bit of an unfair advantage with the crowds I suppose.

Related but the UEFA Champions League final 2021 is due to take place in 'red list' Turkey. Both clubs that have qualified for the final are English.

Seems like the Final may be getting moved to Wembley, makes sense if so.

Champions League Final looks set to be moved to Portugal as UEFA wanted quarantine waived for "VIPs" in order for it to be held in England, the Government refused to waive quarantine rules. Good.

EDIT: UEFA wanted more than 2000 "VIPs" to be able to avoid quarantine.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 05-12-2021 at 08:09 PM.

*Bump*

Tournament has begun but before discussing the Tournament how horrific what happened yesterday to Christian Eriksen. Hope he makes a full recovery.

England v Croatia just begun. Come on England! Tried to get my daughters singing "It's Coming Home" earlier but they weren't having any of it, didn't get the reference.

If I was to have to guess who'd win the Tournament I'd guess France.

LOL!

For a split second I thought that was Braveheart warpaint rather than Swedish. The second Czech goal was one of the greatest goals I've ever seen live. Absolutely stunning, there was nothing the keeper could do about that. Hell it was bent so perfectly even if the keeper was on his line he may have struggled. Very early contender for Goal of the Tournament.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57475435

My predictions aren't going great so far.. Although I did have the right number of goals scored by polish and slovakian players, but I assumed they'd only score for their own team.

The way the Dutch team gave away two goals in quick succession after controlling most of the game is not promising, against a better team that'll be a problem. Still: one win down, against probably the best opponent from three group. Could be a lot worse.

Fantastic topsy turvy games today in the Group F "group of death".

Looked like Germany were going out for most of today, but England v Germany now for Round of 16 at Wembley.

England going out on penalties then. It is written in the stars.

I'm just glad we avoided Netherlands vs Portugal for now, there's some bad memories there.
    Last edited by Flixy; 06-23-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Yeah ghosts of the past really can lurk in these competitions. Gareth Southgate's England coming up against Germany at Wembley really is an incredible echo of 1996. Its amusing listening to the first phrase of Three Lions '98.

Though I'm quite happy with this draw, I'd far rather be in the bottom half of the draw than the top half. I'd think the Netherlands ought to be firm favourites to get to the Semi-Final now. I'd guess the path for England to the final, if we could get that far, is to go against Germany, then Sweden, then the Netherlands which is somewhat ironic considering the locations of the people of this community.

The top half of the draw is brutal. No guess as to who is going to make it to the final from that.

Yep, can't complain about the draw. Though I also remember euro cups where they destroyed Italy and France, only to be defeated by Russia which everybody thought would be a walk in the park.

Side note, since we're discussing matches now, should this thread be moved?

Oh well...
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

That was comprehensive and unexpected.

No idea what de Ligt thought he was doing, you can't get away with that with VAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Oh well...
    Indeed.
    Congratulations America

Stupid red card, after that the Czech were better. Bummer.

Oh well...

Now the Champions are out too.

Italy v Belgium will be a really interesting QF.

game for the ages and I could've been home alone watching it in peace but instead I get an utter Bad Place of a shift on call bad universe! bad!!

Great games yesterday.

Due to the nature of the draw, I expect whoever wins tonight's England v Germany game will become the bookies favourite for the Cup. So after penalties tonight I expect Germany to be the bookies favourite for the Cup.

Although having said that, I think some of the upsets have evened up the draw a bit. Sweden would be a tough Quarter Final even if we could upset Germany.

Really? Germany and England haven't really played that amazing yet, I don't see why they should be more favourite than, say, Belgium or Italy.

Yesterday I tuned in for the last ten minutes of rehulation time for croatia spain, which was a good choice. Also went to bed for the last ten minutes of regulation for France Switzerland, which was a bad choice apparently.

Typical, I picked Mbappe to score goals this cup for my predictions. Doesn't score, even misses his penalty

Great games yesterday.

Both Belgium and Italy look top banana.

Absolutely no idea what's going to happen between Ingurlund and Germany. It's probably got 0-0 written all over it; an incredibly dull game that goes to penalties, then, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Really? Germany and England haven't really played that amazing yet, I don't see why they should be more favourite than, say, Belgium or Italy.

Yesterday I tuned in for the last ten minutes of rehulation time for croatia spain, which was a good choice. Also went to bed for the last ten minutes of regulation for France Switzerland, which was a bad choice apparently.

Typical, I picked Mbappe to score goals this cup for my predictions. Doesn't score, even misses his penalty
    Because of the draw. Belgium and Italy face a much tougher draw. Including the fact they need to face each other.

To reach the final Belgium will need to face Italy, then the winner of Switzerland v Spain.
    To reach the final Italy will need to face Belgium, then the winner of Switzerland v Spain.

After Eng v Ger has taken part the winner will need to face Sweden or Ukraine, then the winner of Czech Republic v Denmark.

EDIT: By this I mean no disrespect to Sweden etc, but Italy or Belgium is a much tougher opponent than Sweden or Ukraine; similarly Switzerland or Spain is a much tougher opponent than the Czech Republic or Denmark. No guarantees for anyone, but whichever of England or Germany gets through tonight will be more likely to reach the final than Belgium or Italy just because of the nature of opponents left to face before the final.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 06-29-2021 at 08:35 AM.

It's coming home
    It's coming home
    It's coming
    Football's coming home

Great game. Very defensive first half, but two good goals.

As I predicted, England now the bookies favourites (on English bookmakers at least). Interestingly the cumulative odds on the top half of the draw (Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and Spain) is 55.9% versus 46.2% for the bottom half, but England dominates the odds for the bottom half of the draw.

Betfair prices & implied probabilities:-

1 England 3.15 31.7%
    2 Spain 4.3 23.3%
    3 Italy 5.5 18.2%
    4 Belgium 9 11.1%
    5 Denmark 12.5 8.0%
    =6 Czechia 30 3.3%
    =6 Switzerland 30 3.3%
    8 Sweden 50 2.0%
    9 Ukraine 85 1.2%
    All quoted.