Thread: Evil Genius 2

Default Evil Genius 2

I do apologize for not going through the proper channels for announcing this game.

Evil Genius will finally have a sequel. Only took them 17 years.

Here's the first gameplay reveal
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Never played the original. Am guessing it being a 2004 game it'd be pretty dated now ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I'd think so yes. Enjoyed it a lot back then, so looking forward to trying this.

Edit: just checked that video. That looks a lot like the original game.
    Last edited by Flixy; 02-22-2021 at 05:55 PM.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Looks cool. A little bit similar to the Dungeon Keeper series?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeah, it's comparable, at least the first one is.

In the first one I spent ages creating elaborate traps, since you gained money for each trap an agent triggered. It's unclear how that will play out in this one. Not too much is clear about the mechanisms of the game.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Release date tuesday - didn't realise it was that soon.

10% off on pre-purchase, have gone for it.

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Tried it out yesterday. And I was not happy with the game modes.

Campaign makes you go through a tutorial which forces you to place rooms at certain positions. For instance the vault right next to one of the entrances. It's also very do this, now do this, so you're not really feeling like a evil genius but rather a hapless toddler. It's only later I found out the tutorial could be skipped.

So, switched to sandbox. But that has no money restrictions since nothing costs money, but you still get told your vault is full. You also start with all the minion types and all the equipment, so there's little progress to achieve.

The user interface is pretty clunky as well.

All of this stood in my way of actually playing the game. So, can't tell if building your base, and defending your base from incoming agents is actually fun. So playing the campaign tonight, without the tutorial, if I find where to turn it off.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Tried it out yesterday. And I was not happy with the game modes.

Campaign makes you go through a tutorial which forces you to place rooms at certain positions. For instance the vault right next to one of the entrances. It's also very do this, now do this, so you're not really feeling like a evil genius but rather a hapless toddler. It's only later I found out the tutorial could be skipped.
    There's an "enable tutorial" checkbox when you create the game. Uncheck that shit. I never went through the tutorial, and have no idea what it looks like.

Let me know how it goes without the tutorial, I am quite interested in the game but also a little hesitant in case it sucks.

It's solid. If you liked the first game, you'll like this one too. I haven't gotten too far into the campaign, just far enough to figure out that even the low-level super-agents aren't as easy to handle with simple swarms as they were in the original, but I haven't hit any bugs and the game is interesting and deep enough to spend a bunch of time on. I have some complaints about the UI, but it's not that bad. Overall, I'd recommend the game.

Some tips based on my half-dozen hours with it:

- Sell all the junk in your front operation right at the start. It's just free money.
    - Crank up your minion cap early and try not to ever hit it. You will burn through minions, so you never want to stop recruiting.
    - Prioritize getting your control room running up, even though it's not an early game objective. It's how you make money.
    - Don't over-expand your criminal empire; if you don't have enough minions working the control panels, your heat in regions will start rising on its own, so you want to pace your empire growth with your minion count to make sure your base is always well staffed.
    - Building many barracks/break rooms/cafeterias all over the place is better than building large central ones.

Yeh. Spent 10 mins before I restarted without tutorial - straight away it seemed too directed and restrictive. Just those initial 10 mins are enough to get the basic mechanics anyway.

Fun game, kept me at it for a good few hours before I had to step away.

Cool, thanks guys, I'll buy it as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    There's an "enable tutorial" checkbox when you create the game. Uncheck that shit. I never went through the tutorial, and have no idea what it looks like.
    I unchecked that shit, once I found it. Spent yesterday creating my garbage base just to try things out.

The good:
    Game pace seems to be good. I like the slow build up and not having to click like a maniac to keep up. When I want to settle down to try some base building, the passive income from regions keep you ticking over. When I want to expand, I start running schemes.
    Base can be fluid. It's very easy to move stuff around if you don't like what you've built.
    Science looks promising
    Agents are a challenge from the get go
    The cover operation this game actually has a function. In the first game it never figured in my games

The bad:
    The world map. My god what a UI disaster. Please give me an overview of the region's activities without having to hover over every single one to find the one that isn't doing anything.
    Dialogues. I just skip all of them without reading.

Uncertain:
    Traps. I have unlocked the first few, and I really miss the triggering mechanics. I set up a region at the entrance to experiment with them, to figure if perhaps there are some tricks I'm missing.

I also unlocked stairs ASAP, since I didn't want my Genuis' inner sanctum on the ground floor among the plebs.

Adding to Wraith's tips: don't build a vault straight away. You have 40.000 base storage which will do you fine the first couple of hours. At a certain point you want to be able to do 50.000 dollar schemes, but because you don't get that in one go, you can manage. Plus, same as the inner sanctum, the vault needs to be second floor for easy access for my evil genius.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Have stopped play for now, will come back when they've addressed some of the balancing issues.