Thread: "Let's not jump to conclusions..." Gee I wonder why.

Default "Let's not jump to conclusions..." Gee I wonder why.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-used-n1258793

"In a video from January, a 91-year-old person can be seen being violently pushed to the ground in Chinatown in Oakland, California. The suspect, Yahya Muslim, who is accused of two other attacks the same day, was charged with three counts of assault. A separate attack last month that was recorded on surveillance video showed Vicha Ratanapakdee, 84, being shoved to the ground in San Francisco. Ratanapakdee later died from his injuries.

Sliman Nawabi, a deputy public defender who is representing Antoine Watson, 19, in the San Francisco incident, said there is "absolutely zero evidence that Mr. Ratanapakdee's ethnicity and age was a motivating factor in being assaulted.""

And yet if it was white on Asian violence the media would fall all over themselves to immediately assume racism. I wonder why these situations are different? Gee lets look further in the article!

"It can have a negative impact on either side, on reinforcing the vicious stereotype of the natural Black inclinations for crime and that we're thugs," he said. "And on the other hand, alerting Asian communities or heightening their awareness about their safety and security may be sending a false signal that there is a nonexistent attempt on the part of some Black communities to target Asian brothers and sisters."

The prevalence of anti-Asian racism in black communities is well documented (see the burning of Koreatown in the LA race riots by black racists). And yet because the perpetrator in the situation is black, the media falls over themselves to make sure no one views it as a hate crime or even talks about the racial hatred that is found in so many black communities across the America. No race, gender, party or group has a monopoly on racism however it seems clear that the media can't wait to make excuses for some groups and not others.

That's pretty racist.

You chose a terrible example. The suspect has serious mental neath issues and assaulted multiple people in the past year or so. The real issue is why the heck he was allowed out of prison and then given parole for the assault before this one.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You chose a terrible example. The suspect has serious mental neath issues and assaulted multiple people in the past year or so. The real issue is why the heck he was allowed out of prison and then given parole for the assault before this one.
    The answer is liberals being soft on crime.

Also, mental illness or not, do you think the media would have treated it the same way if the criminal was white?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-used-n1258793

"In a video from January, a 91-year-old person can be seen being violently pushed to the ground in Chinatown in Oakland, California. The suspect, Yahya Muslim, who is accused of two other attacks the same day, was charged with three counts of assault. A separate attack last month that was recorded on surveillance video showed Vicha Ratanapakdee, 84, being shoved to the ground in San Francisco. Ratanapakdee later died from his injuries.

Sliman Nawabi, a deputy public defender who is representing Antoine Watson, 19, in the San Francisco incident, said there is "absolutely zero evidence that Mr. Ratanapakdee's ethnicity and age was a motivating factor in being assaulted.""

And yet if it was white on Asian violence the media would fall all over themselves to immediately assume racism. I wonder why these situations are different? Gee lets look further in the article!

"It can have a negative impact on either side, on reinforcing the vicious stereotype of the natural Black inclinations for crime and that we're thugs," he said. "And on the other hand, alerting Asian communities or heightening their awareness about their safety and security may be sending a false signal that there is a nonexistent attempt on the part of some Black communities to target Asian brothers and sisters."

The prevalence of anti-Asian racism in black communities is well documented (see the burning of Koreatown in the LA race riots by black racists). And yet because the perpetrator in the situation is black, the media falls over themselves to make sure no one views it as a hate crime or even talks about the racial hatred that is found in so many black communities across the America. No race, gender, party or group has a monopoly on racism however it seems clear that the media can't wait to make excuses for some groups and not others.

That's pretty racist.
    Whether or not an attack constitutes a hate crime is not simply a factor of the racial identities of the people involved; there are other legal requirements that have to be met. Your simpleminded mischaracterization of the LA riots is characteristic of your ignorance but doesn't really have any bearing on this case.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Sliman Nawabi, a deputy public defender who is representing Antoine Watson, 19, in the San Francisco incident, said there is "absolutely zero evidence that Mr. Ratanapakdee's ethnicity and age was a motivating factor in being assaulted."

"This unfortunate assault has to do with a break in the mental health of a teenager. Any other narrative is false, misleading, and divisive," Nawabi said.
    Well Lewk, since you know better, what evidence do you have that the attack was racially motivated?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

I'm confused. The suspect is someone named Yahya Muslim but the person they charged is someone named Antoine Wilson? As usual, Lewk either relies on incredibly crappy reporting or he just throws random shit together himself.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Are y'all incredibly dense or did you not read the thread title. Do you guys think this thread is about a potential hate crime or do you think this thread is about media bias in race related issues?

I think this thread is about Lewk getting his racist freak on.

It all revolves around the assumption: "And yet if it was white on Asian violence the media would fall all over themselves to immediately assume racism."

I'm supposed to accept this as a truism. Well, I don't.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Are y'all incredibly dense or did you not read the thread title. Do you guys think this thread is about a potential hate crime or do you think this thread is about media bias in race related issues?

I'mma be honest, Lewk. I don't really pay much attention to anything you write. The junk ratio is too high.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I think this thread is about Lewk getting his racist freak on.

It all revolves around the assumption: "And yet if it was white on Asian violence the media would fall all over themselves to immediately assume racism."

I'm supposed to accept this as a truism. Well, I don't.
    https://www.farsnews.ir/en/news/1399...ng-Agains-Whie

Yeah man, even when a black person does the killing somehow they find a way to pin it on "white supremacy"

"Hundreds of protesters gathered at New York's Washington Square Park on Saturday afternoon and marched through parts of Manhattan, chanting, “Whose streets? Our streets”, RT reported.

The marchers congregated in front of the iconic Macy's store on 34th Street. One carried a sign declaring, “White nationalism is the virus”.

Organizers billed the event as seeking “justice for the attack on Noel Quintana”. A promotional poster also said, “End the violence toward Asians. Let's unite against white nationalism.”

The 61-year-old Quintana, a native of Manila, was attacked on February 3 on a crowded subway car as he headed to work in the morning rush hour. The attacker repeatedly kicked Quintana's tote bag, then slashed his face from ear to ear with a box cutter after the Asian man complained. Quintana had to seek help on his own, as none of the bystanders stepped in or called for an ambulance, and he received around 100 stitches to close his wounds.

Police described the alleged attacker as “wearing a black mask with a Louis Vuitton logo and a black North Face coat”. While apparently having a sharp eye for the apparel brands favored by the suspected knifeman, police didn't mention other appearance aspects revealed in security camera footage of the man, such as his black skin and Afro.

Social media users pointed out the apparent disconnect between the perpetrator of the crime and the race of people targeted in the march for justice.

“This is the suspect if you want to identify him,” conservative commentator Ian Miles Cheong stated Sunday on Twitter.

Another poster for the anti-racism rally featured Vicha Ratanapakdee, an 84-year-old Thai immigrant who was killed in late January in San Francisco when a man came running from across the street and slammed into him, knocking him to the ground. A 19-year-old black man, Antoine Watson, was arrested and charged with Ratanapakdee's murder earlier this month.

“Is there a shred of evidence that 84-year-old Vicha Ratanapakdee was killed by white nationalism?” journalist Lee Fang asked.

Former Republican congressional candidate Joshua Foxworth responded with sarcasm, saying, “White nationalism is to blame for black people assaulting Asians.”

The incident involving Ratanapakdee was one in a series of unprovoked attacks on elderly Asian Americans in the San Francisco Bay area recently. Yahya Muslim, a 28-year-old black man, was arrested for allegedly shoving a 91-year-old man to the pavement from behind, then knocking down two other Chinese pedestrians on the same street in Oakland's Chinatown area. Like the Ratanapakdee murder, the January 31 Chinatown attacks occurred in broad daylight.

And just as with the Quintana case in New York, the black-on-Asian attacks in California were blamed on white people.

Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Viet Thanh Nguyen argued that Asians must recognize the violence as “part of a pattern of white supremacy”. Even if the assailants are black, he added, “The solution is not to fall back on racist assumptions of our own but to hold the system of white supremacy responsible for dividing us.”"

You think that proves "if it was white on Asian violence the media would fall all over themselves to immediately assume racism"?

Well, you're not just a racist, you're a dumb racist. And you didn't even have to shoot an Asian for me to not assume racism, but to conclude racism.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Lewk, where were you when Trump et al. kept equating Covid with Asians? When people were warning the Trump administration that this would lead to attacks on Asian Americans?

He was right here, insisting on calling it the Chinese Disease.

Nothing wrong with calling it a China Virus, we've used names before like the famous Spanish Flu based on geographical properties. If you really think the demographic least likely to vote for Trump, listens to Trump saying that and decides to make even more frequent racist attacks... I really don't know what to tell you since clearly you aren't thinking logically.

Nothing wrong with calling it a China Virus, we've used names before like the famous Spanish Flu based on geographical properties. If you really think the demographic least likely to vote for Trump, listens to Trump saying that and decides to make even more frequent racist attacks... I really don't know what to tell you since clearly you aren't thinking logically.
    If we're going to name it like we did the Spanish Flu, then it's not the China Virus, it's the US or UK Virus. The "Spanish Flu" did not originate in Spain. The only reason it's called that is because of a misperception about Spain being hit particularly hard by the virus, arising from it being one of the few European countries that wasn't censoring news about it due to wartime concerns. There are no geographical properties or features which tie the 1918 influenza pandemic and Spain in any way. The first definitively confirmed case was in Kansas, incidentally.

Nothing wrong if you don't care about hate crimes against Asian Americans, which you clearly do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Nothing wrong if you don't care about hate crimes against Asian Americans, which you clearly do not.
    Do you think Trump calling it the China virus made people more aware that the pandemic came from China? What people living under a rock didn't know that already?

Does it increase their knowledge? No. Does it amplify and target emotional response? Yes.

So if names don't matter, lets name the virus the Trump virus, since it's during his administration the virus raged in the US.
    Lets name the cure, the Biden cure, since the cure will be distributed and applied during his administration.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars