Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have to talk about Meghan....

Default We have to talk about Meghan....

... or actually we don't. She's already done her own talking and this Sunday we can hear what she has to say.

But, what merits a bit more of a conversation is how Buckingham Palace decides to open an investigation in the behavior of Meghan (for what seems to amount to little more than sending e-mails at an ungodly hour and being American, if not Black) a full year after she has left the royal Household and about three years after which the alleged infractions took place. Yet, this same High and Mighty Court, sees nothing wrong with protecting the Duke of York, who has been accused of the actual crimes of sexually abusing and/or raping minor girls and who appearantly couldn't think of cutting his ties with a convicted child abuser in any other way than flying to New York City and stay at said child abuser's mansion.

Am I the only one who thinks that Buckingham Palace has got its priorities mixed up more than just a little?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    ... or actually we don't. She's already done her own talking and this Sunday we can hear what she has to say.

But, what merits a bit more of a conversation is how Buckingham Palace decides to open an investigation in the behavior of Meghan (for what seems to amount to little more than sending e-mails at an ungodly hour and being American, if not Black) a full year after she has left the royal Household and about three years after which the alleged infractions took place. Yet, this same High and Mighty Court, sees nothing wrong with protecting the Duke of York, who has been accused of the actual crimes of sexually abusing and/or raping minor girls and who appearantly couldn't think of cutting his ties with a convicted child abuser in any other way than flying to New York City and stay at said child abuser's mansion.

Am I the only one who thinks that Buckingham Palace has got its priorities mixed up more than just a little?
    It's an extremely toxic and fucked-up institution, but not more so than the English public. They're playing to their audience.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Do we really?

Pass thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Do we really?

Pass thanks.
    So you agree with the Windsors protecting someone suspected of child abuse but go out of their way to hang out a Black woman for being mouthy and guilty of the crime of waking up early? I guess this is what people mean when they are upset about white privilege; you get to choose when racism upsets you and when you can decide to pass because you can't be bothered.
    Congratulations America

No I don't. I am a republican, I'd rather see the monarchy abolished and certainly don't want to engage in celebrity tittle tattle about people living in America.

As for the other issue I would propose a swap. We send America Prince Andrew, they send us Anne Sacoolas.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Your being a republican doesn't change a jot or tittel to the fact that a family, propped up with your tax money, uses its vast influence to attack a woman while safeguarding one of their own. Just saying that you don't want them in their position doesn't make the problem of them abusing their position go away.
    Congratulations America

Hazir, you're paying any attention to the British monarchy. . . why?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Hazir, you're paying any attention to the British monarchy. . . why?
    Untill Brexit happened I had a subscription to the Daily Telegraph. They have a lot of royal coverage and I noticed the extremely aggressive treatment Meghan was getting from this supposedly 'royalist' newspaper. The UK also isn't a country that's exactly far away from where I live. I could be there in less than half an hour by plane, four hours by train. Their royal news is reported here as well. It drew my attention, so there you have it. Recently I saw the significant uptick in the attempts to smear her again, but this time it wasn't just the 'free press' doing it, but the Court had its dirty fingers all over it.

But, why are you asking me the question? Is there a need to justify why anything in the news would have drawn my attention?
    Congratulations America

Your being a republican doesn't change a jot or tittel to the fact that a family, propped up with your tax money, uses its vast influence to attack a woman while safeguarding one of their own. Just saying that you don't want them in their position doesn't make the problem of them abusing their position go away.
    Getting them out of the position solves the problem just fine.

Getting involved in tabloid trash is beneath us.

Getting them out of the position solves the problem just fine.

Getting involved in tabloid trash is beneath us.
    You're still ignoring that an institute under the responsibility of your Government is involved in systemic bullying.
    Congratulations America

Not ignoring it. I've said they should be axed.

Is there any more serious sanction that can be proposed than that?

Not ignoring it. I've said they should be axed.

Is there any more serious sanction that can be proposed than that?
    You know very well that they won't be axed any time soon. So no, that's not a sufficient reaction to the situation at hand.
    Congratulations America

Its the only possible reaction.

The chinless wonders in the Palace did the same thing to Diana thirty years ago. They're pathetic and it backfired building support for Diana and ostracising the monarchy.

Same is happening now. The Palace fucking this up makes Meghan more sympathetic and the royalty look stupid.

Good.

Congratulations America

Well, that bullying inquiry is going to be fun; the High and Mighty Court trying to justify putting on trial a woman who's gone to an obvious depressive episode, for her behavior during that episode.
    Congratulations America

I suspect the biggest takeaway in much of the world from the Meghan interview will be her remarks that she was struggling with her mental health and feeling suicidal . . . and the monarchy and the press response in advance has been to try and character assassinate her through leaking things like "bullying allegations" that are many years old and date to when she was known to be struggling with her mental health.

That does not look good at all and makes the institution and its sycophantic admirers look cruel.

Discretion would have been the better part of valour, not saying anything at all until she spoke rather than building it up with all sorts of character assassination attempts first that magnify and play into what she has now said.

To me it seems like the pre-emptive fire from the palace landed right where it was fired from. Game set and match. I seriously don't see how they can recover being caught doing exactly what they were accused of.
    Congratulations America

English media can deal with anything.

To me it seems like the pre-emptive fire from the palace landed right where it was fired from. Game set and match. I seriously don't see how they can recover being caught doing exactly what they were accused of.
    Tabloid trash being tabloid trash is not news. It is a dog bites man story.

I think the bigger impact, if any is to be had, will be in other countries like Jamaica that are yet to decide if they want to keep the monarchy once HMQ passes away. The Queen is currently the monarch of 16 countries - which is a fraction of the countries she was monarch of when she came to the throne. Two thirds of the Commonwealth are now republics and that number is very likely to grow in the years after HMQ dies. I think many countries now are waiting out of respect for her before they pull the plug and these stories are not likely to aid the monarchy in convincing countries to keep them.

Of course, its now a game of Guess Who.

All we know for certain is it wasn't HMQ or Prince Philip (which should be obvious, Prince Philip might say it but Harry would laugh it off if it was him - 99 year olds say stupid things).

Lads.

Check this out

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The BBC have released an educational video so that members of the fairer sex do not descend into depravity like the Duchess of Sussex.

Meghan who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

My very mixed high school has been having a blast about that skin color comment

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

ITV have fired Piers Morgan.

Fantastic news! Hope that's the last we hear from him and the unflushable turd doesn't turn up somewhere else next - his editorship of the Mirror should have been the end of his career.

EDIT: This is great:
    Last edited by RandBlade; 03-09-2021 at 06:47 PM.

That's from 2018
    Relevant part starts around 4:45
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Americans on Twitter have been saying this as a joke, but the English are jokes: