Thread: Reparations are now a thing

Default Reparations are now a thing

“Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

You need either a house or the ability to pay a mortgage to take advantage of this program. I.e., this seems to mainly benefit the middle class, rather than those who need it most.
    Last edited by Loki; 03-24-2021 at 08:05 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You need either a house or the ability to pay a mortgage to yale advantage of this program. I.e., this seems to mainly benefit the middle class, rather than those who need it most.
    True, but it's a first step that might pave the way for more equitable schemes. Overnight, reparations have gone from being almost unthinkable to being something the US can actually do; Evanston now has a fund that can be used to fund other reparations initiatives, if/when they gain sufficient support.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

You need either a house or the ability to pay a mortgage to yale advantage of this program. I.e., this seems to mainly benefit the middle class, rather than those who need it most.
    The eligibility is also pretty narrow in other ways and not likely to affect most black residents. I lived in Evanston for a few years, and while it's relatively diverse by the numbers, most of the minority population lives in a much poorer enclave just north of the Chicago border, with mostly rental properties. The amounts involved are pretty small compared to the $300 million budget.

This looks more like a feel good housing measure dressed up as reparations. I've seen this kind of behavior in many of the relatively affluent, highly educated, progressive towns I've lived in - long on rhetoric but rarely willing to make real sacrifices to actualize their self professed views.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    True, but it's a first step that might pave the way for more equitable schemes. Overnight, reparations have gone from being almost unthinkable to being something the US can actually do; Evanston now has a fund that can be used to fund other reparations initiatives, if/when they gain sufficient support.
    Like wig says, I'll believe it when I see it. This policy seems intended to increase housing prices in middle class neighborhoods, something that will indirectly benefit the white middle class. Let's see them try to help those living in poor, segregated neighborhoods.

Why not give extra money to schools in the poorest neighborhoods? Or not require businesses in those neighborhoods to pay property taxes or local sales taxes?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I don't understand the concept of reparations. To me it seems very much like make-believe and guilt-driven welfare. Would make more sense if you had policies that benefit all disadvantaged people.
    Congratulations America

You need either a house or the ability to pay a mortgage to take advantage of this program. I.e., this seems to mainly benefit the middle class, rather than those who need it most.
    Tax credits for electric cars also don't seem aimed at the poor.