Thread: The impact of Prince Philip's death

Default The impact of Prince Philip's death

I did not see this stupidity coming.

National Rail turned their website grey in mourning, fucking with people with visual impairments in the process. It's what he would've wanted, I guess?

Even though the dev community is slowly becoming more aware of accessibility issues, marketing geniuses appear to have become more clueless over time.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

People are idiots.

Especially those who make gestures. Its ridiculous bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

TV viewers were not most definitely not happy with the blanket coverage that channels, particularly the Beeb, insisted upon.

We were particularly annoyed at the Masterchef final being moved.

BBC flooded with complaints over coverage of Prince Philip’s death

Viewers switched off their TVs in droves after broadcasters aired blanket coverage of Prince Philip’s death, audience figures revealed on Saturday, and the BBC received so many complaints it opened a dedicated complaints form on its website.

BBC One and BBC Two cleared their schedules of Friday night staples including EastEnders, Gardeners’ World and the final of MasterChef to simulcast pre-recorded tributes from the Duke of Edinburgh’s children.

TV viewers were not pleased. BBC One, which is traditionally the channel that Britons turn on at moments of national significance, was down 6% on the previous week, according to analysis of viewing figures by Deadline. For BBC Two the decision was disastrous – it lost two-thirds of its audience, with only an average of 340,000 people tuning in at any time between 7pm and 11pm. ITV suffered a similar drop after it ditched its Friday night schedule to broadcast tributes to the duke.

The highest rated programme on Friday, with 4.2m viewers, was Gogglebox on Channel 4.

The BBC’s national radio stations replaced their output with a pre-recorded tribute, with some later returning to special “sombre” music: Radio 1 played downbeat music interspersed with announcements that it would “sound a bit different”.

Some BBC radio cricket commentary teams continued to provide coverage of county cricket – one of Philip’s favourite pastimes – unaware that no one was able to hear them. Even the live blog was shut down.

BBC Four was taken off air and replaced with a notice urging viewers to switch to BBC One. It had been due to show the England women’s football team play France in an international friendly – the game aired on the BBC’s iPlayer service and BBC Sport website, apparently in the belief that showing women’s sport online is more respectful than allowing it on linear television channels. On CBBC, children were greeted with a banner encouraging them to watch the news.

The BBC would not say how many complaints it had received or make any other comment about its coverage.
    Gogglebox the most viewed show on friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I haven't watched the BBC in years.

Netflix and Disney+ had no interruption in their operations.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Curious if streaming will force a change for how they plan to handle the queens death
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I haven't watched the BBC in years.

Netflix and Disney+ had no interruption in their operations.
    They do have a bunch of excellent series/documentaries which tend to make streaming services late (if at all). I don't watch that much TV anymore, but the BBC is probably fairly high up in the channels I do watch.

I happened to watch formula e on the beeb this weekend, and was surprised to say the least that they asked a driver about prince Philip during an interview.

I do wonder if formula e is generally on the open net at BBC, since over here it's on a paid channel They might move a race to my hometown so I was curious to see it.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

To be fair, Parliament was in recess as part of its Easter break. Its been recalled specifically for this, so yes nothing else was scheduled. If it wasn't for this, Parliament would have been closed today. No Parliamentary business has been closed, moved or affected.