Thread: Eurovision 2021

Default Eurovision 2021

Thought I'd gotten out of this by not being on call tonight but one often meets one's destiny on the road one takes to avoid it. Catching up now and so far it seems the UK is the worst island nation; they shoulda just sent the real Nick Frost instead??
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Island nations are clowning the continent today, but Italy and Lithuania putting up a good fight.

Italy. I was elated. I loved it so much I didn't dare predict it as the winner.
    Congratulations America

The Brits should have considered sending someone who actually can sing live. The song was better than the zero points that the singer deserved.
    Congratulations America

We had one guest and heavy traffic on the family app. It was almost like a traditional eurovision night. I think the organizers did a great job given the circumstances.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Italy. I was elated. I loved it so much I didn't dare predict it as the winner.
    Hoping they don't get punished because of that guy snorting cocaine on live TV

We had one guest and heavy traffic on the family app. It was almost like a traditional eurovision night. I think the organizers did a great job given the circumstances.
    Def. a better show than it usually is, but zero chill... the ones that didn't make it were even more stressful ofc.

That was fun! The zero points for UK, Netherlands, Germany etc were a bit painful, and I think the UK was the only really bad one in the finals. Definitely didn't expect Italy to win, and quite liked Ukraine as well.

Now, how do I get rid of the hangover..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Hoping they don't get punished because of that guy snorting cocaine on live TV
    Don't think he actually did though. It was just an unlucky angle when he went to pick up some glass. He is getting drug tested. Cocaine will be found if within 48 hours, so meh. :P

As for Norway's contribution, kinda saddened TIX who is known for making freaking hyped party music, attended with a melancholic melody that never stood a chance. He wrote "sweet but psycho" for Ava Max, among other pretty popular songs.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

The Brits should have considered sending someone who actually can sing live. The song was better than the zero points that the singer deserved.
    Eurovision is a joke though, why would any serious artist engage with it?

The UK has a thriving music industry. If you want to be successful then artists in the UK don't think "Eurovision Song Contest" they think "write songs, practice, play pubs, upload demos and try to get a record label interested" - and they do it.

Sending shit artists with shit songs is the point of Eurovision. If we were to take this shit songs out of Eurovision then what would be left?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    Don't think he actually did though. It was just an unlucky angle when he went to pick up some glass. He is getting drug tested. Cocaine will be found if within 48 hours, so meh. :P

As for Norway's contribution, kinda saddened TIX who is known for making freaking hyped party music, attended with a melancholic melody that never stood a chance. He wrote "sweet but psycho" for Ava Max, among other pretty popular songs.
    Yeah that song was just a total buzzkill :/ lmao at the whole cocaine thing though irrespective of whether or not it really was coke

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

The UK has a thriving music industry. If you want to be successful then artists in the UK don't think "Eurovision Song Contest" they think "write songs, practice, play pubs, upload demos and try to get a record label interested" - and they do it.

Sending shit artists with shit songs is the point of Eurovision. If we were to take this shit songs out of Eurovision then what would be left?
    Actually, after deleting my original response, from now on I will ignore whatever you post.

The issue isn't that you have a different opinion, but that I think you are simply a nasty character not worth my consideration.
    Last edited by Hazir; 05-23-2021 at 11:33 PM.
    Congratulations America

Yeah that song was just a total buzzkill :/ lmao at the whole cocaine thing though irrespective of whether or not it really was coke
    It seemed too short to actually have been what it was made to be.

As for the Norwegian contribution; I scored it almost as low as Germany.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

Totally disagree. You are representing your country, in one of the greatest common arenas of European cooperation and fellowship. It is a bit like national teams. Just because you play for a major league team like Real Madrid or Liverpool, does not mean you will not send your best to the world cup. That England continually fails to provide a good artist or song, adds to the international stereotypical prejudice against British people being prudent, condescending, high and mighty, not participating seriously. Especially when they are pre-qualified, which I also find to be detrimental at best. No, I am not arguing that the other countries send their very finest and most established artists, but that they at least make a much grander effort, by whom they audition and how people vote. "Embers" was truly uninspired and woeful. On the contrary to say Ukraine, which was very much Eurovision-like in its weirdness, but was still entertaining and powerful in how it was connected to the country's roots, and yet innovative and memorable. Or Finland, who stick to their classic rock-inspired spirit of nature every year. That is Eurovision for me, not completely forgettable songs like Ember.
    TIX was there primarily because of his status as a super popular Norwegian artist. His background is that since 2015 he has been making party music for the college phenomenon in Norway called "Russ", where graduating high school pupils spend the last month of school wearing uniforms, excessively partying and letting go of all social boundaries. His songs have been super catchy, but also incredibly sleezy as they should be for this cultural thing. Since then he has the last years opened up about going through serious depression due to compulsive obsession disorder, Tourettes and tics (hence his artist name TIX) and suicidal episodes, and has converted completely into playing motivational songs for people in need. He has transformed from someone high school aged fans love, to a really wholesome character that everyone cherishes and roots for. Hence he was voted to the finals, unfortunately coincidentally with his worst song of all time, that was dreadful in most ways. Ironically if he had used his old music self, much more fitting the profile of Eurovision, he probably could have won.

Examples of his past music more befitting.

And his more typical parody-themed sing alongs which would undoubtedly also have gotten a lot more points.

Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Actually, after deleting my original response, from now on I will ignore whatever you post.

The issue isn't that you have a different opinion, but that I think you are simply a nasty character not worth my consideration.
    Were you inebriated when you wrote that? Otherwise what on earth is nasty about saying that Eurovision is a joke? It is, it kind of always has been. Plus I put a laughing emoji there so you'd know it was said in humour, so why take offence at that?

Kitsch shit songs and taking the piss out of it is kind of the raison d'etre of Eurovision, at least as far as this country is concerned. I haven't watched it in many years now, it wasn't the same since Terry Wogan died, his taking the piss out of it all was kind of the fun.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Totally disagree. You are representing your country, in one of the greatest common arenas of European cooperation and fellowship. It is a bit like national teams. Just because you play for a major league team like Real Madrid or Liverpool, does not mean you will not send your best to the world cup. That England continually fails to provide a good artist or song, adds to the international stereotypical prejudice against British people being prudent, condescending, high and mighty, not participating seriously. Especially when they are pre-qualified, which I also find to be detrimental at best. No, I am not arguing that the other countries send their very finest and most established artists, but that they at least make a much grander effort, by whom they audition and how people vote. "Embers" was truly uninspired and woeful. On the contrary to say Ukraine, which was very much Eurovision-like in its weirdness, but was still entertaining and powerful in how it was connected to the country's roots, and yet innovative and memorable. Or Finland, who stick to their classic rock-inspired spirit of nature every year. That is Eurovision for me, not completely forgettable songs like Ember.
    What do you mean the stereotypical prejudice that Britain isn't participating seriously? That's not a sterotype, Britain is not participating seriously. The thing is a joke, so joke acts get sent.

If you want serious participation for music then you can look at the Brits who participate in the Grammys etc not Eurovision. I can't remember any British Eurovision entry that have gone on to have a career (Bucks Fizz before my time).

I'm not sure what or who you mean by Ember?

PS probably doesn't help that the British entry is organised by the BBC - and the BBC itself is dreadful nowadays. Forget just Eurovision, I haven't watched BBC TV much in many years now.

It's fine to send a joke entry, it just would be nice if the joke was actually funny.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

TIX was there primarily because of his status as a super popular Norwegian artist. His background is that since 2015 he has been making party music for the college phenomenon in Norway called "Russ", where graduating high school pupils spend the last month of school wearing uniforms, excessively partying and letting go of all social boundaries. His songs have been super catchy, but also incredibly sleezy as they should be for this cultural thing. Since then he has the last years opened up about going through serious depression due to compulsive obsession disorder, Tourettes and tics (hence his artist name TIX) and suicidal episodes, and has converted completely into playing motivational songs for people in need. He has transformed from someone high school aged fans love, to a really wholesome character that everyone cherishes and roots for. Hence he was voted to the finals, unfortunately coincidentally with his worst song of all time, that was dreadful in most ways. Ironically if he had used his old music self, much more fitting the profile of Eurovision, he probably could have won.

And his more typical parody-themed sing alongs which would undoubtedly also have gotten a lot more points.

Interesting take on Tix. It's also the biggest pitfall of participating in Eurovision; in the end very little of the back story matters when you are on the stage in the final. The odd thing is that I simply can't remember anything about Tix' performance than that it felt over the top in a wrong way. If my life depended on it I couldn't reproduce even the smallest bit of it.
    Congratulations America

It seemed too short to actually have been what it was made to be.
    It looked like his friend poked him to make him stop doing whatever he was doing if the test comes back positive, he may have to return the trophy, but, if it comes back negative, he may have to resign from hard rock

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    It's fine to send a joke entry, it just would be nice if the joke was actually funny.
    Thing is, something like three generations of the English have been conditioned by the odious commentary of a single mean drunk channeling the contempt of a whole nation of haters; the climate in England simply does not permit sincere, joyful participation. With most other countries, even if you might not like their act, you get a sense of sincerity and some form of popular appeal; with the UK, you just get this unpleasant feeling. Genuinely feel sorry for their artists—not because they don't do well in the contest, but because they're made to feel like shit by their own country. We all know people who just shit on other people's enjoyment because they don't get it—they're just not calibrated to sincere fun and humour. Wrt Eurovision, the UK—and esp. England—is that person. Some other countries have a similar—but less pronounced—problem with sincerity, which leads them to send engineered, overproduced fluff that's "supposed" to appeal to Eurovision viewers but doesn't appeal to anyone (Germany, Norway, Sweden these past several years); at least Embers would (probably) have gotten points if it'd been any other year.

I think most years I've seen Eurovision, there's been at least one pretty solid schlager/pop/rock tune that I can genuinely enjoy if it comes on. Some of the participants have undeniably been immensely successful—ABBA, Celine Dion, Julio Iglesias—and I expect most major contenders continued to make decent music (see Johnny Logan, Lordi, t.A.T.u., etc).

Oh wow, I didn't know he was behind Sweet but Psycho! That would definitely have earned a lot of 12-pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Blame the BBC for that. The BBC runs the selection criteria and come up with bland vanilla crap that would never be a commercial success, or as controversial as some of the successful entries in recent years.

Since the public has little interest in Eurovision beyond perceiving it as all a bit of joke anyway, there's little pressure to change it.

I have no idea what the UK's entry was this year and have little expectation to be listening to it anytime soon on a playlist or the radio.

On stuff that we actually care about there will be sincere, joyous participation - see the football finals in June and July for instance. That people care about, unlike Eurovision.

Interesting take on Tix. It's also the biggest pitfall of participating in Eurovision; in the end very little of the back story matters when you are on the stage in the final. The odd thing is that I simply can't remember anything about Tix' performance than that it felt over the top in a wrong way. If my life depended on it I couldn't reproduce even the smallest bit of it.
    Yes, it was a horridly bland song, with elements of outdated boy band etc. Makes me sad, considering his usual ability to bring the roof down at parties.
    I think most years I've seen Eurovision, there's been at least one pretty solid schlager/pop/rock tune that I can genuinely enjoy if it comes on. Some of the participants have undeniably been immensely successful—ABBA, Celine Dion, Julio Iglesias—and I expect most major contenders continued to make decent music (see Johnny Logan, Lordi, t.A.T.u., etc).
    And luckily, I find, those are the ones to win in the end. Thankfully, because it's a happy ending, after one has been exposed to political and nationalist voting from nearly all nations, but the best song still usually wins. Like Italy this year.

Did actually not realize t.a.T.u. had been part of Eurovision. It's been a while since I heard anything about them. I recognized them purely because there have been some epic trap remixes that I've revisited a few weeks back.

Oh wow, I didn't know he was behind Sweet but Psycho! That would definitely have earned a lot of 12-pointers
    Yes, indeed. She has the habit of teaming up with quite a lot of Norwegian artists lately. I love Alan Walker's Alone with Ava Max too. Awaiting a Kygo co-op soon.

Oh, and is it just me, or was Davina Mitchell's guest performance the highlight of ESC this year?

It's not just you. But her name is Davina Michelle.
    Congratulations America