Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: Britney's conservatorship - the Ronan Farrow take

  1. #1

    Default Britney's conservatorship - the Ronan Farrow take

    Thread and article:

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,847
    I heard a good part of the statement and think it's ridiculous the situation was continued. There are uncounted numbers of people more troubled who are not under conservatorship.
    Congratulations America

  3. #3
    My dealings with people who are experiencing mental abnormality has taught me to not believe them. Take Randblade for instance...
    .

  4. #4
    That seems like a lot of people with massive conflicts of interest and a legal system that actively contributed to the situation. I'm still not convinced Spears is well enough to control her own life, but she should be given an opportunity to hire an attorney to represent her interests. The fact this hasn't been done is both a testament to a broken system and a large number of people who clearly ignored their legal and fiduciary duties.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  5. #5
    Anything sensationalized will seem 'that way'.
    .

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    My dealings with people who are experiencing mental abnormality has taught me to not believe them. Take Randblade for instance...
    My dealings with them is that they have to have done a lot worse than Britney before they are put under conservatorship. But obviously the threshold became lower as she amassed more money. If she wouldn't have clawed her way out of poverty, nobody would have given a damn about what crazy shit she pulled as long as she wasn't hurting others. But appears that the butt hurt over her money in others already counted as good enough to take away her freedom.

    Inverse class justice, that we came to see the day.
    Congratulations America

  7. #7
    Not being sarcastic, but that shaving her head thing to get out of drug testing was a trailer park trash stunt. No one would have paid her a 2nd thought if it wasn't Britney.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Not being sarcastic, but that shaving her head thing to get out of drug testing was a trailer park trash stunt. No one would have paid her a 2nd thought if it wasn't Britney.
    My words.
    Congratulations America

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    My dealings with people who are experiencing mental abnormality has taught me to not believe them....
    Sane women do this for money
    .

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    If you're gonna be creepy then at least post a link that works
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    If you're gonna be creepy then at least post a link that works
    Huh, conservators must have had it taken it down. Just another recent (stated as the fourth) boob shot she posted. Nothing creepy.
    .

  12. #12
    I'm not an expert, Being, but it's my understanding that women post pictures of their breasts on the internet for free all the time. I would assume that we can't assume they're all insane.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    ...I would assume that we can't assume they're all insane.
    I assume the apostrophe t is a typo.
    .

  14. #14
    I have no problem with people deciding how much skin the do or do not want to share with the world... And I don't think it's a sign of insanity that some people choose to share more than others.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  15. #15
    I would question the mental normalcy of my family members, especially immediate family, if they did.
    .

  16. #16
    Okay, so your family's cultural milieu frowns on that, so what? Mine does too. That doesn't mean that those taboos are universal.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Okay, so your family's cultural milieu frowns on that, so what? Mine does too. That doesn't mean that those taboos are universal.
    Yeah, but we are talking about her family (conservators). And they have expressed concern over those actions. So maybe her family feels the same sense of indignity that we would feel.
    .

  18. #18
    1) Just because I don't think it's great doesn't mean my sister can't decide that she disagrees.
    2) There are massive financial conflicts of interest with her conservators being family members, I don't trust them.

    Look, I have no particular opinion in this whole mess. I haven't followed the case nor do I know (or know about) Ms. Spears or her father. Certainly this seems like a misapplication of the spirit of the relevant laws, but honestly I don't know much about the institution of conservatorship so can't intelligently comment on it.

    What I can comment on is your assertion that any woman posting scantily clad photos on the internet for free must be nuts. That's so remarkably judgmental and narrow minded (and demonstrably not in keeping with mainstream cultural mores) that it can't pass without comment.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  19. #19
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    1) Just because I don't think it's great doesn't mean my sister can't decide that she disagrees.
    2) There are massive financial conflicts of interest with her conservators being family members, I don't trust them.

    Look, I have no particular opinion in this whole mess. I haven't followed the case nor do I know (or know about) Ms. Spears or her father. Certainly this seems like a misapplication of the spirit of the relevant laws, but honestly I don't know much about the institution of conservatorship so can't intelligently comment on it.

    What I can comment on is your assertion that any woman posting scantily clad photos on the internet for free must be nuts. That's so remarkably judgmental and narrow minded (and demonstrably not in keeping with mainstream cultural mores) that it can't pass without comment.
    This.

    I have family that appears nude as an extra in a film, should we have him committed? It's on the internet as well. Hell, even I have appeared scantily clad in a photoshoot, does that mean I'm insane? Or does this logic only apply to women?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    This.

    ...Hell, even I have appeared scantily clad in a photoshoot, does that mean I'm insane?
    Well, it did take an inordinate amount of time for you to submit to vaccination so...
    .

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    ...I don't trust them.

    That's so remarkably judgmental...
    Yeah.
    .

  22. #22
    Christ Being. You're taking a rather fucked up position here, and I'm thinking you don't even see why.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Christ Being. You're taking a rather fucked up position here, and I'm thinking you don't even see why.
    If we all agreed then there would be nothing to discuss or debate. And as far as this situation goes you all saying she needs to be freed are relying on innuendo from sensationalized stories meant to attract your attention to gain ad revenue.
    .

  24. #24
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Well, it did take an inordinate amount of time for you to submit to vaccination so...
    Wtf are you on about?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    If we all agreed then there would be nothing to discuss or debate. And as far as this situation goes you all saying she needs to be freed are relying on innuendo from sensationalized stories meant to attract your attention to gain ad revenue.
    We let the homeless people all over our cities take care of themselves when many obviously are mentally ill and/or drug addicts, so what's different about Brittney Spears? Oh, right, she generates a lot of money for a lot of people. That's a legitimate reason to take away her rights? I always thought we Americans had the basic freedom to make a trainwreck of our lives.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    We let the homeless people all over our cities take care of themselves when many obviously are mentally ill and/or drug addicts...
    I have not let that happen to any of my family members though I have been tempted to at times.
    .

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Wtf are you on about?
    You asked me a question and I replied.
    .

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I have not let that happen to any of my family members though I have been tempted to at times.
    And you use the legal system to take away your family member's personal rights and grant them to yourself? How many of your adult family members have you made into slaves to your personal idea of how they should live?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    And you use the legal system to take away your family member's personal rights and grant them to yourself? How many of your adult family members have you made into slaves to your personal idea of how they should live?
    See my comment above about innuendo from sensationalized stories. You act as though there is no legal system acting as arbiter. I can tell you there is and it is no easy feat to forcibly commit a family member for mental evaluation.
    .

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Okay, so your family's cultural milieu frowns on that, so what? Mine does too. That doesn't mean that those taboos are universal.

    I'm guessing the number of men in speedos, jocks, thongs, or leather harnesses in my IG feed would probably appall Being, but he would not be questioning the sanity of those people I follow (well, ok some of them probably but still, certainly not all). But the idea of a WOMAN exposing her chest, OH MY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Well, it did take an inordinate amount of time for you to submit to vaccination so...
    *makes note to never show Being grindr selfies*
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •