Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Tax Everything"

Default "Tax Everything"

For real... fuck off.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...tier-for-taxes

"The measure would include a per-passenger tax on the price of a commercial flight to space and a two-tiered excise tax for each launch into space. The first tier would apply to flights between 50 miles and 80 miles above Earth’s surface, while the second "significantly higher" rate would apply to flights more than 80 miles above Earth’s surface."

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

What Lewk? Will that put it out of your budget? Or will it put a dent in your Blue Origin dividends? I really don't understand your complaint here.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

There definitely are negative externalities with emissions and risks which are not being accounted for, so some type of sales or excise tax is definitely called for.

P.S. Lewk, the founding fathers LOVED using excise taxes on luxury goods and services to raise revenue.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    There definitely are negative externalities with emissions and risks which are not being accounted for, so some type of sales or excise tax is definitely called for.

P.S. Lewk, the founding fathers LOVED using excise taxes on luxury goods and services to raise revenue.
    Yeah before we had an income tax...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Sounds like you prefer to spread the cost to all workers rather than those using the service? That is mighty social of you.

Yes, because they died before federal income tax was instated using the authority granted to Congress by the constitution. What makes you think they would've felt an income tax would automatically delegitimize other forms of taxation? And, tbc, even if they did believe it, so what? Their understanding of economics predates the modern world.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Lewk, you're a parody of yourself. You're offended at a proposed tax that would hit only billionaires and tax them an amount they won't even notice is missing.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Lewk, the temporarily embarrassed billionaire
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

This is bullshit. Do you know how many hard working amazon drivers had to pee into bottles for that man to get rich enough to go to space? And now the government wants to take that away from them?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Lewk, the temporarily embarrassed billionaire
    Imagine believing everyone is only interested in self interest instead of principle. I'll never be a billionaire but I would never support a billionaire tax.

Yes. . . because they'd have had another revolution if the government had actually tried to impose an income tax back then. They HATED the idea of an income tax. Excise taxes were the tax concept they approved of.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Imagine believing everyone is only interested in self interest instead of principle. I'll never be a billionaire but I would never support a billionaire tax.
    This actually makes you sound dumber than what we already assumed of you. That's impressive.

You gotta remember, we need to reward the rich. It's a good thing to have a sales tax on goods like diapers but it would be a terrible imposition to place one on rocket fuel. We pay the Feds a 7.5% excise tax on our plane flights but the rich shouldn't be expected to pay any such tax for spaceflight, nosiree. Taxes should only be paid by the poor, otherwise they have no incentive to get rich.

Careful guys, we already lost Randblade to bullying.

Lewk, without getting into how government should work, how would you fund it?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Careful guys, we already lost Randblade to bullying.

Lewk, without getting into how government should work, how would you fund it?
    Flat tax seems swell. And not an income tax either. Take the budget, divide by everyone 18 and up and that's how much each person pays. Budget obviously being much lower than it is now.

Flat tax seems swell. And not an income tax either. Take the budget, divide by everyone 18 and up and that's how much each person pays. Budget obviously being much lower than it is now.
    Fair enough, what happens to those who cannot pay?

For real... fuck off.
    Back atcha.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

I take it you're in favor of gutting social security, Medicare, and the military then (items making up the vast majority of federal spending)?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I take it you're in favor of gutting social security, Medicare, and the military then (items making up the vast majority of federal spending)?
    REPORTED for being off topic! I specifically said "without getting into how government should work". This is about funding, not what it's spent on.

Come on Lewk, your turn...the trolls are at bay now.

For real... fuck off.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...tier-for-taxes

"The measure would include a per-passenger tax on the price of a commercial flight to space and a two-tiered excise tax for each launch into space. The first tier would apply to flights between 50 miles and 80 miles above Earth’s surface, while the second "significantly higher" rate would apply to flights more than 80 miles above Earth’s surface."
    Can you admit that these billionaires can "afford" to blast into space....largely because they've avoided paying income taxes? Why should they have special tax exemptions that no one else has? Do you really think the tax code is fair and equitable? Or is it designed to allow oligarchs to use their monopoly powers to make more money, at the expense of everyone else?

If this was about Russian actors, you'd be wetting your pants trying to say how corrupt this is. But since it's about US citizens who are the richest people in the world, you're okay with the whole thing. Good to know.

Fuck off

Much the same as now. You have your wages garnished. I'm not overly heavy handed, there should be some grace in terms of timing and potential arrangements. Not a fan of throwing people in prison unless theirs evasion attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Do you really think the tax code is fair and equitable?
    Fuck off
    Hell no lol.

Flat tax seems swell. And not an income tax either. Take the budget, divide by everyone 18 and up and that's how much each person pays.

Much the same as now. You have your wages garnished.
    Cannot pay. They have no wages to be garnished (or not enough to pay the bill and survive). I think your only viable option is to slash that amount out of the budget. Are there other options?

Lewk, a flat tax is regressive. Demanding a percentage of income impacts those who can least afford it. Every academic economist says so.

Should we add this to another category where you refuse to believe the experts, because it doesn't align with your political beliefs?

Cannot pay. They have no wages to be garnished (or not enough to pay the bill and survive). I think your only viable option is to slash that amount out of the budget. Are there other options?
    I mean there may be some exceptions for truly disabled folks. And if it wasn't obvious I also think federal spending is a bit out of whack. We have far too many government employees and pork barrel spending.

I mean there may be some exceptions for truly disabled folks.
    Okay. The budget is set based on everyone paying the same but some people aren't being required to pay. Do we make everyone else pay more to meet the budget or do we reduce the budget?

And if it wasn't obvious I also think federal spending is a bit out of whack. We have far too many government employees and pork barrel spending.
    Please don't make me report you for OT posts. This is about funding not spending. We have a budget that you agreed to.

Okay. The budget is set based on everyone paying the same but some people aren't being required to pay. Do we make everyone else pay more to meet the budget or do we reduce the budget?
    In Lewk's example wouldn't the denominator then be the actual tax base (population over 18 - those ineligible for taxes due to disability, lack of income, etc...)? I'm sure you are driving at something, but I'm not sure this is the best route.

Nothing like forcing people making the minimum wage to pay $10k in taxes so that billionaires can get away with only spending petty cash on theirs