Thread: Canada (Ottowa) Striving to Never Win World Cup

Default Canada (Ottowa) Striving to Never Win World Cup

Win a soccer game by more than five points and you lose, Ottawa league says

By Terrine Friday June 1, 2010 – 6:05 am

In yet another nod to the protection of fledgling self-esteem, an Ottawa children’s soccer league has introduced a rule that says any team that wins a game by more than five points will lose by default.

The Gloucester Dragons Recreational Soccer league’s newly implemented edict is intended to dissuade a runaway game in favour of sportsmanship. The rule replaces its five-point mercy regulation, whereby any points scored beyond a five-point differential would not be registered.

Kevin Cappon said he first heard about the rule on May 20 — right after he had scored his team’s last allowable goal. His team then tossed the ball around for fear of losing the game.

He said if anything, the league’s new rule will coddle sore losers.

“They should be saying anything is possible. If we can get five goals really fast, well, so can the other team,” said Kevin, 17, who has played in the league for five years. “People grow in adversity, they don’t really get worse…. I think you’ll see more leadership skills being used if a losing team tries to recuperate than if they never got into that situation at all.”

Kevin’s father, Bruce Cappon, called the rule ludicrous.

“I couldn’t find anywhere in the world, even in a communist country, where that rule is enforced,” he said.

Mr. Cappon said the organization is trying to “reinvent the wheel” by fostering a non-competitive environment. The league has 3,000 children enrolled ranging in age from four to 18 years old.

“Everybody wants a close game, nobody wants blowouts, but we don’t want to go by those farcical rules that they come up with,” he said. “Heaven forbid when these kids get into the real world. They won’t be prepared to deal with the competition out there.”

Paul Cholmsky, whose four- and six-year-old boys play in the league, said the intended goal of a default-lose rule might backfire in teaching life skills.

“If there’s one team that’s consistenly dominant and one team that’s not, well, that’s life,” he said.

Mr. Cholmsky said he would be in favour of temporarily handicapping a team, for example reducing the number of players on the field, over ensuring a team loss for a high score differential.

According to the league’s new rules, coaches of stronger teams are encouraged to deter runaway games by rotating players out of their usual positions, ensuring players pass the ball around, asking players to kick with the weaker foot, taking players off the field and encouraging players to score from farther away.

Club director Sean Cale said he is disappointed a few parents are making the new soccer rule overshadow the community involvement and organizing the Gloucester club does.

“The registration fee, rergardless of the sport, does not give a parent the right to insult or belittle the organization,” he said. “It gives you a uniform, it gives you a team.”

Mr. Cale said the league’s 12-person board of directors is not trying to take the fun out of the game, they are simply trying to make it fair. The new rule, suggested by “involved parents,” is a temporary measure that will be replaced by a pre-season skill assessment to make fair teams.

“The board is completely volunteer-run and we do the best that we can to provide a good, clean, fun soccer experience for everyone,” he said.

Although parents are fuming, he said the commotion is coming from “about 1% of the parents.”
    Sigh...http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06...a-league-says/

I'm sure this crap is also taking place in the US, and this is just really short sighted of these 'Involved Parents' whose kids went crying to them after discovering that he/she is not the superstar these retard parents keep telling them they are.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

“I couldn’t find anywhere in the world, even in a communist country, where that rule is enforced,” he said.
    What a guy
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Not even in a communist country!
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Cripes that's retarded.

Heh, I see others also noticed the communist country
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

While a belligerent and not helpful to his cause remark, he does have a point.

Hmmm sounds like some of the shit schools are putting forward in the UK. Failure has to be renamed 'deferred success' and other such tripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    While a belligerent and not helpful to his cause remark, he does have a point.
    Does he

Does he really

What, exactly, is that point
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Does he

Does he really

What, exactly, is that point
    Com'on Ness. It's not the insult you want it to be.

He is alluding to the 'From each one's ability to each one's need' ideal that was taken to the extreme in in the USSR and other 'commie' countries (are there truly very many left?). Where everyone gets the same result, no matter how much effort you put in and if any good, excel.

Try not to get yer nickers in a bunch over a quote from a dude who managed to badly express his displeasure over an even more stupid rule that is impacting something he enjoys.

He called the rule ludicrous.

His point is, he knows ludicrous.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

When we were very young, if you were beating a team 60-0 or so (in rubgy), and the other team really had no hope, they would just cut the game short.

Needless to say, that stopped before we reached our teens and stuff.

You know what the best way around this is? Just keep winning. Win as many games by more than 5 points as you can. They can officially say you lose, but the beaten team will still damn well know they recieved a whuppin.

And at the end of the season, the best team in the league, who hasnt lost a game, will be bottom, and you can go to the organisation and say "so this is fairness, is it"?
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

The sad thing about that type of duh moment, is that the twats who made the rule in the first place are probably too dense to get the point.

I am not insulted, save maybe by his stupidity, but that's probably beyond science to fix

He is alluding to the 'From each one's ability to each one's need' ideal that was taken to the extreme in in the USSR and other 'commie' countries (are there truly very many left?). Where everyone gets the same result, no matter how much effort you put in and if any good, excel.
    Even if that were the idea behind communism, it still has fuck-all to do with the idiocy behind the soccer rule. The guy is misrepresenting communism in at least two different ways!

Try not to get yer nickers in a bunch over a quote from a dude who managed to badly express his displeasure over an even more stupid rule that is impacting something he enjoys.
    Irateness is a renewable resource

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

I think you haven't got a very good idea of what communism is about.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I think you haven't got a very good idea of what communism is about.
    I think you're missing the entire point.

That's a pretty retarded rule. Don't they have different leagues there? Back when I played volleyball, if you beat everybody you would be promoted to a higher league with similarly strong teams. That kept the 25-0 whoopings to a minimum.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I think you're missing the entire point.
    No, I get what you're trying to say. That's why I said that you don't know how communism is supposed to work.

No, I get what you're trying to say. That's why I said that you don't know how communism is supposed to work.
    I think the bold part speaks for itself.

Aside from that, I'm NOT getting into one of these arguments, where you pick on one little facet of an argument as if it is the major linchpin of the discussion, with you.

It's not the linchpin of the discussion, nor are people upset that communism was 'insulted', it's just kind of jarring to see that the cryogenically preserved head of Joe McCarthy is alive and well in some Kanuck suburb

I think the bold part speaks for itself.

Aside from that, I'm NOT getting into one of these arguments, where you pick on one little facet of an argument as if it is the major linchpin of the discussion, with you.
    The actual implementations, my dear, also did not quite do what you think they did.

Hint: Exceeding expectations was rewarded in such states as well.

And I certainly did not pick your precious little facet here. You engaged in the discussion, that makes you fair game. So quit your whining.

If I'm on a team losing by five, I just "accidentaly" score on my own goal and win the game for my team!

Huzzah for teaching life lessons!

The actual implementations, my dear, also did not quite do what you think they did.

Hint: Exceeding expectations was rewarded in such states as well.

And I certainly did not pick your precious little facet here. You engaged in the discussion, that makes you fair game. So quit your whining.
    You live to be insulting.

Oh wait, I'm whining.

You know what, I'll drop the whole commie angle (as I said it was a bad choice of words to funking begin with), as I was only responding to NESS'S little dig about the guy, and REALLY want to discuss the namby pamby rule these twats felt the had to put in the league as the commie thing is besides the point, but you decided to take it further.

Now I am done arguing (whining as per Kehn) this point as I wanted to discuss the twats (the Canadian ones, not the German one) and their twaty rules.

I'm not sure there's much to discuss, I doubt you'd find anyone on here to defend this "rule"

Since when did you become the voice of reason? Or have that much 'faith' in our fellow chuckleheads here on the forums?

I figured there would be someone as there were enough twats to get this enacted, they may be at least one here who would support it.

We have a screaming deficit of soccer moms! Aggressive debate and controversial positions such as "opinions can, in fact, be wrong, you dumb cunt" probably helped there

Cunt

Gods, I love that word.

I try to save it for 'special' occasions and just use twat more often at it's not heard that much over here...

Since when did you become the voice of reason? Or have that much 'faith' in our fellow chuckleheads here on the forums?

I figured there would be someone as there were enough twats to get this enacted, they may be at least one here who would support it.
    I can't think of anyone who would.

And if they did I'd have to yell at them and and suggest they not allow their children to play any sports or do any activity involving others at all.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I can't think of anyone who would.

And if they did I'd have to yell at them and and suggest they not allow their children to play any sports or do any activity involving others at all.
    I dunno, Aimless or EyeKahn strike me as possibles...but I could be wrong.