Thread: The Olympic Games

Default The Olympic Games

I used to love them when I was a kid (in the 60's) and even as an adult (in the 90's). But now that the greed and grift has been exposed on an international level, not so much.

I feel sorry for the athletes who've spent years training and competing, thinking the Olympics was the epitome of their sport.

There's got to be a better way to celebrate international athletic prowess, without all the Olympic political posturing (and wasted funding on venues that *abuse workers or citizens*, and eventually decay). Right?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I used to love them when I was a kid (in the 60's) and even as an adult (in the 90's). But now that the greed and grift has been exposed on an international level, not so much.

I feel sorry for the athletes who've spent years training and competing, thinking the Olympics was the epitome of their sport.

There's got to be a better way to celebrate international athletic prowess, without all the Olympic political posturing (and wasted funding on venues that *abuse workers or citizens*, and eventually decay). Right?
    Cleaning up all international sporting venues must begin with eliminating any competitions that are decided by judgement.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Huh? IMO the "cleaning" needs to begin by eliminating the political cronyism that enables its profiteering and exploitation.

In other words, The Olympic Games has been limping along in the 21st century, using outdated models from previous centuries. And it just doesn't work any more.

So what's the better alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Huh? IMO the "cleaning" needs to begin by eliminating the political cronyism that enables its profiteering and exploitation.

So what's the better alternative?
    Everyone is out for themselves. I don't think political is a correct descriptor.

So what's your suggestion, Being?

If we just ended the Olympic Games as we know it, what should/would replace it?

Don't really care too much about it but now that the lefties are starting to cry about it I might enjoy it more.

Propofuckingganda, Hydrogen flames are practically invisible.

Lying for lefties

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Propofuckingganda, Hydrogen flames are practically invisible.
    It doesn't take much "conventional" fuel as an adulterant to render the flame visible. The article states that the fire is "sustained in part by hydrogen" (emphasis mine).
    It should however be taken into account that, although hydrogen itself doesn't contribute any CO2 to the emissions when burned, its production methods very well might be less than environmentally friendly in this regard.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est