Thread: Reliability of navigation apps.

Default Reliability of navigation apps.

We just drove from Amsterdam to Istanbul and made some funny observations about navigation apps. Some parts the apps were so precise that we were given warnings about cars stranded on the hard shoulder. Then at other times several apps could not locate entire highway systems. The risk lies in realising too late that one didn't exclude the other. I think that we added close to 5 hours to the driving time by not realizing on time that precision had gone off the cliff again.

Took us 40 hours to drive the distance. Barely were asked at all for vaccination status. Also, nobody asked for Bella's paperwork. So probably on the way back we're gonna risk driving through Serbia.
    Congratulations America

Out of curiosity, is it country dependent or can you have excellent and poor navigation within the same country as well?

I do remember being on Spain where Google maps worked like a charm, but apple maps kept giving issues. That was like 5 years ago though.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It seemed country related. One thing I found extremely unhelpful was the absence of borders on the maps displayed. Borders could have been very useful to remedy the navigation being sub standard.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    So probably on the way back we're gonna risk driving through Serbia.
    Hope it's a good trip with Bella (and her paperwork)!

I just popped in to say that navigation apps are not reliable for *hiking* in the US. Apparently, lots of people think all they need is the mapping system from a smart phone app, but they end up lost or stranded because it's not complete, and doesn't show the terrain's level of difficulty. Well, duh?

I was surprised to learn that park rangers find/rescue more people who don't carry a paper map or compass, but just rely on their smart phones and apps.