Thread: Twitter's (algorithmic) political bias

Default Twitter's (algorithmic) political bias

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

My guess is that more controversial content gets boosted by the algorithm, and the center right is more inflammatory than the center left (except in Germany).
    Hope is the denial of reality

The right has also shown to be more susceptible to conspiracies. Doesn't take much for their party of choice to take advantage of or get replaced by them.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Gee what a surprise when the majority of the traditional media leans heavily left, people who lean right might turn to other ways of getting and disseminating information.

You know an algorithm isn't people, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    My guess is that more controversial content gets boosted by the algorithm, and the center right is more inflammatory than the center left (except in Germany).
    German law also restricts far right (esp. neo-Nazi style) content, so, if your account on Twitter esp. is registered as being in Germany, you're far less likely to be exposed to such content—as well as the less overtly Nazi content associated with it. And ofc German society is less tolerant of such fuckery.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Gee what a surprise when
    you just leap for "Post Quick Reply" instead of reading what was posted in the OP
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You know an algorithm isn't people, right?
    Algorithms are sensitive to user engagement

Gee what a surprise when the majority of the traditional media leans heavily left, people who lean right might turn to other ways of getting and disseminating information.
    The suggestion here being that social media platforms are right leaning compared to traditional media and not that they are being used by a vocal minority of extremely gullible idiots (and those that profit off those idiots). All twitter is showing is that they're susceptible to Google bombing on an acute level.

EDIT:
    Thinking on this more, this is likely from the Trending Now feature being to aggressive in trying to stay on top on the next hot subject. If Twitter removed accounts above a certain threshold from being able to influence that algorithm with their armies of brain dead zombies, so it grew more naturally, the bias would be greatly reduced.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-26-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Algorithms are sensitive to user engagement
    Guess what the main driver of social media engagement happens to be.