Thread: Crazinomics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'm flabbergasted by what's going on in turkey these days. I'm out of explanations for the punch line that is otherwise known as 'Turkish economy'
    How badly does this impact your personal finances? You have a home and presumably money there, right?

I mean, I guess we're heading to an emperor has no clothes moment...because clothes are so damn expensive when you keep lowering rates forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    How badly does this impact your personal finances? You have a home and presumably money there, right?

I mean, I guess we're heading to an emperor has no clothes moment...because clothes are so damn expensive when you keep lowering rates forever.
    My income is in euro so I am largely shielded. The value of the house is probably under huge pressure but I always have seen it as a vacation place more than an investment.

That doesn't mean that I can ignore the crisis completely ; of course there's the issue of people around me simply no longer being able to spend money the way they were used to, which sometimes is outright awkward. But you also see a significant slip in the quality of products for sale in shops.

Some trivial examples that are still telling. I wanted to have some pillows made. The fabric I wanted was taken out of the collection of the supplier my regular upholstery guy uses; as it is imported it simply became impossible to make money on selling it. Then I noticed that the weight of chocolate tablets I have been buying for ages had dropped from 100g to 65g.

I realize that these sound like luxury problems, and they are. They are also signs of Turkey slipping back to the way it was when it was a real third world country.
    Congratulations America