Thread: The drive toward more authoritarian leaders

Default The drive toward more authoritarian leaders

Was reading this piece the other day, thought I'd share it for those like Aimless who like to wonder what is wrong with people who can support these types. From a study written up in Political Psychology

https://www.psypost.org/2022/02/stud...-leaders-62479
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Moral of the story: society is only getting more divided, which means we're all screwed.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Moral of the story: society is only getting more divided, which means we're all screwed.
    Echo chambers tend to be bad. Gee I wonder if cancel culture is contributing to that...

Not quite as bad people as people who used to keep their racism to themselves deciding now is the time to once again normalize it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Not quite as bad people as people who used to keep their racism to themselves deciding now is the time to once again normalize it.
    Here's a great example

https://www.businessinsider.com/chic...f-color-2021-5

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Was reading this piece the other day, thought I'd share it for those like Aimless who like to wonder what is wrong with people who can support these types. From a study written up in Political Psychology

https://www.psypost.org/2022/02/stud...-leaders-62479
    Thanks, that's an interesting study they take a novel approach, and their conclusions are both intuitively appealing and apparently in line with popular narratives. At the same time, as I read the paper—without being at all familiar with the field and the methods—I found myself growing increasingly unconvinced. The samples are weirdly skewed wrt gender, their findings are inconsistent, the correlations are significant but weak, they test for preferences in a way that might be problematic (eg. the test for progressive/democratic leader preference may also pick up Trump-fans b/c of the anti-elitist/anti-corporatist element). Think it's also important to note the countries they focused on: UK, US, and Australia—all of which had conservative govts with dodgy leadership at the time (which might explain why perceived breakdown in leadership was associated with a preference for progressive/democratic leaders), and all of which are socially, culturally, and politically dissimilar from many other western govts.

I'm inclined to believe perceived division interacts with other psychological and socioeconomic determinants of political preference for authoritarian leaders, but I think that perceived moral division is a small and indirect link in the causal chain. Looking forward to reading comments on their findings from people who're actually familiar with the field though, because I certainly am not
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."