Thread: Hitler and the Anglosphere

Default Hitler and the Anglosphere

Another day, another weird-ass invocation of Hitler by a member of the Anglo commentariat:

What lies behind the compulsion to invoke The Holocaust, Hitler, etc. in these outlandish ways? In an apology, McFaul ascribes the backlash to his violation of an "unwritten taboo", but, afaict, the backlash stems from his claim being dumb and wrong.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It's because these people literally know no history other than WWII.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Well, for certain values of "know" because they demonstrably don't know WWII all that well either.

I disagree with Loki, however. The compulsion is because they like to think in "good/evil" paradigms, they know using Satan would be inappropriate and Hitler/Holocaust/Nazis is their polite society workaround.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Well, for certain values of "know" because they demonstrably don't know WWII all that well either.

I disagree with Loki, however. The compulsion is because they like to think in "good/evil" paradigms, they know using Satan would be inappropriate and Hitler/Holocaust/Nazis is their polite society workaround.
    Wait, why is using Satan inappropriate? Isn't Satan the reason for Christian evil-ity?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post

That's true. They do know the war happened and that it was bad.

A bunch of the people making the comparison are secular Europeans.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Another day, another weird-ass invocation of Hitler by a member of the Anglo commentariat:

What lies behind the compulsion to invoke The Holocaust, Hitler, etc. in these outlandish ways? In an apology, McFaul ascribes the backlash to his violation of an "unwritten taboo", but, afaict, the backlash stems from his claim being dumb and wrong.
    The leftists love to call everything they disagree with either fascist or racist, by calling something a Nazi or referencing Hitler they can do both at the same time!