Thread: The shrieking was great

Default The shrieking was great

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/25/tech/...ent/index.html

"New York (CNN)Twitter said Monday it has agreed to sell itself to Elon Musk in a roughly $44 billion deal that has the potential to expand the billionaire's business empire and put the world's richest man in charge of one of the world's most influential social networks.

The deal, which will take the company private, caps off a whirlwind period in which the Tesla and SpaceX CEO became one of Twitter's largest shareholders, was offered and turned down a seat on its board and bid to buy the company — all in less than a month.
    Under the terms of the deal, shareholders will receive $54.20 in cash for each share of Twitter stock they own, matching Musk's original offer and marking a 38% premium over the stock price the day before Musk revealed his stake in the company.
    "Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," Musk said in a statement Monday. "Twitter has tremendous potential — I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it.""

What I find most interesting by many of the blue check mark melt-downs was the fact there is little risk that Elon plans to censor them. Instead they are most upset that Elon will not censor conservatives (like Trump). Interestingly enough it seems like the suspension of the Babylon Bee is being credited as the last straw for Elon to make his move. Regardless of what ends up happening this day was made quite a bit better by seeing people upset at the news.

Musk is hardly a defender of free speech, especially when you look at his track record regarding whistle blowers, or organized labor, or shit even his own private jet. His remarks thus far for how to "improve" Twitter seem unimpressive. Any major moves he makes to help the spread of Lewk level misinformation will just help solidify Twitter as the next myspace or digg. Weird for Lewk to suggest an account getting locked for being transphobic was the tipping point for Elon, as if it's going to be some sort of shining knight moment to bring it back.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-26-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Musk is hardly a defender of free speech, especially when you look at his track record regarding whistle blowers, or organized labor, or shit even his own private jet. His remarks thus far for how to "improve" Twitter seem unimpressive. Any major moves he makes to help the spread of Lewk level misinformation will just help solidify Twitter as the next myspace or digg. Weird for Lewk to suggest an account getting locked being transphobic was the tipping point for Elon, as if it's going to be some sort of shining knight moment to bring it back.
    Are you saying some useless chodes getting banned wasn't the reason the spaceclown has apparently offered to massively overpay for Twitter? gotta admit I didn't think someone would come up with so sad a take on this subject as "Musk broke the bank to avenge Babylon Bee"
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Are you saying some useless chodes getting banned wasn't the reason the spaceclown has apparently offered to massively overpay for Twitter? gotta admit I didn't think someone would come up with so sad a take on this subject as "Musk broke the bank to avenge Babylon Bee"
    Musk also mentioned the the NY Post being hit as well for their accurate story on the Biden laptop. However immediately preceding the events the Babylon Bee issue came up and likely this wasn't the main reason but as I mentioned "the straw the broke the camel's back."

But let me ask you this - do you think moderation that is more balanced is a good thing for open dialogue and discussion in a democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    But let me ask you this - do you think moderation that is more balanced is a good thing for open dialogue and discussion in a democracy?
    Going full Qui-Gon Jinn?

I'm curious what you think this means considering studies have shown that both Twitter and Facebook favored conservatives and special rules had to be drawn up just to keep conservative politicians from being kicked off due to their behavior and the fact that republicans lie 3 times more than democrats.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Feel free to link them and we can discuss how wonderfully unbiased those studies are... that being said it is certainly possible charismatic politicians can gain things from social media that their not so charismatic political opponent may have as much success. Obama could benefit from a medium more than Romney, ditto for Trump and Hillary. The issue is moderation and the ability to present a view that doesn't get you banned. For example, gender views are varied today. Some people view it a social construct others view it as purely based on biology. Why shouldn't both views be allowed?
    Last edited by Lewkowski; 04-28-2022 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Going full Qui-Gon Jinn?

I'm curious what you think this means considering studies have shown that both Twitter and Facebook favored conservatives and special rules had to be drawn up just to keep conservative politicians from being kicked off due to their behavior and the fact that republicans lie 3 times more than democrats.
    The funniest part is that the companies' own investigations confirmed this bias in favor of right wing grifters and their asinine conspiracy theories—and the grifters are STILL convinced the platforms are biased against them. Too much and never enough
    Last edited by Aimless; 04-28-2022 at 12:15 PM.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    The funniest part is that the companies' own investigations confirmed this bias in favor of right wing gifters and their asinine conspiracy theories—and the grifters are STILL convinced the platforms are biased against them. Too much and never enough
    Those right wings bubbles are truly a thing of amazement.

On a slightly related tangent, The judges academy (works with WOTC for card tourneys) just announced that the pure biology take (ie, trolling and harassing by purposely misgendering people) that got Babylon bee locked will result in instant qualification.

Now considering the majority of the clientele at this level of play understand what's going on, those that don't should pause for a moment of reflection.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-28-2022 at 12:36 PM.

Posting here to say that I've long thought Twitter is merely a tool of the coastal media elite that has punched above its weight in terms of how it dominates reporter's mind-space. The good news has been these hard numbers have finally become reflected in Twitter's business fundamentals and stock valuation. Media desks are finally asking their reporters to reconsider their relationship to Twitter (especially for finding sources).

So in comes Elon Musk convincing banks to lend him tens of billions for this low-revenue distraction. He's had some unconventional success, but let's keep this post here to say that I'm skeptical he can turn around the business fundamentals. Quote me in a year or two and maybe I'll be wrong!

In a surprise twist surprising no one, Elon Musk has now officially backed out of buying Twitter.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Twitter: No bitch

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come