Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Styles!

Default Styles!

I think the white prosilver style is currently the default, while members who joined before that got the darker 'Hermes' style as default.

Before I invest too much time into customizing these things, I think we should decide on what themes we should have, and which will be our default. I'll upload a bunch over the course of the next day or so, and you can browse through them using your user control panel. We can't keep all of them though, that's way too much work to support. I think we should limit it to a small number, with at least 1 light and 1 dark theme. We will be able to tweak any of styles afterwards, so if something is 'close' to what you want, that's probably good enough.

Anyone besides lolli have anything they're looking for?

Default Re: Styles!

I'm a happy camper.

Do I have to fight to keep it now? There is still a bit of yellow in here, though.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I think I'll stick with the Getaway theme.

I like hermes, and twilight.

:ugeek: <---my smiley. My beard.

Get Illusionists to port his version of the Old Skool Atari CC style to this new forum.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    Get Illusionists to port his version of the Old Skool Atari CC style to this new forum.
    You could hang around in IRC like the rest of us and pitch these BRILLIANT IDEAS there

Also Loki misses you

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

It is better that my words are on record.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Jackboots

All three of those are really nice. I think ill take the first one.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackboots

All three of those are really nice. I think ill take the first one.
    1 & 3 are really nice
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Waith, within all of the styles, it is possible to move the box of who is posting to the left of each post?

I don't know about anyone else, but it's seriously disorienting to have it on the right.

EDIT: Ah, saw some of the uploaded themes. So far my favorites are-

subsilver2 OR Getaway- White background, black text, avatars on the left, quick reply box and nice contrast between post.

Black Pearl- Black background, white text, avatars on left and nice contrast.

Sliced- Lots of red, but kinda nice and bold without being too bold

I'm actually posting with Sliced right now, it has good contrast and the font sizes aren't too small.

I suggest everyone check out the styles Wraith uploaded at their User CP and suggest two or three favorites: ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=personal

I like twilight, rainbow pearl (if you change the green font to something less laser burny) and pronight. Pronight? Prosomething
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Using acidtech purple right now, it's kinda spiffy, not too hard on the eyes
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

And you mocked me for my desire for black and purple.

The text is still white on black

I did tell him I wanted white text. I just wanted purple everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    Waith, within all of the styles, it is possible to move the box of who is posting to the left of each post?
    It's possible to do about anything. It just takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    Okay, so small issue there. Its going to take some time, as the old Atari forums used vBulletin, and the new ones that we're on are phpBB, and the tags they use to denote how things should be changed by the CSS is different than what I have in my script, not to mention that they have a few additional controls. Is there any setting I could be given where I could play around and make a style to test?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    I think the white prosilver style is currently the default, while members who joined before that got the darker 'Hermes' style as default.

Before I invest too much time into customizing these things, I think we should decide on what themes we should have, and which will be our default. I'll upload a bunch over the course of the next day or so, and you can browse through them using your user control panel. We can't keep all of them though, that's way too much work to support. I think we should limit it to a small number, with at least 1 light and 1 dark theme. We will be able to tweak any of styles afterwards, so if something is 'close' to what you want, that's probably good enough.

Anyone besides lolli have anything they're looking for?
    I went through 'em all, and am presently using the first Dark theme on the list. Black Pearl? In some ways Hermes was better, but the overall contrast was just a bit TOO low on that. Any Dark you end up keeping needs, IMNSMHAGLO, needs a black background, moderate contrast, no use of red or bright white colors, and should avoid excess "frames" around things it is displaying. A fairly Large size for displaying poster names would also be nice, but isn't all that important. Except maybe for those wearing bifocals.

edit: That first one Jackboot posted (the UT forums, yes?) actually looked good.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I could also potentially use whatever ends up being Classic Blue to make a dark theme, which would simply replace the blues in the background with equal hues of gray.
    . . .

I'm currently using the Black/Purple combo, but then first link of 'Jackboots' post is the one i like!

Quote Originally Posted by Lor
    I'm currently using the Black/Purple combo, but then first link of 'Jackboots' post is the one i like!
    TwilightBB. It should already be installed.

I've noticed that some of the styles look better when it's just a single screenshot than when you have to live with the theme. Maybe that's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions
    . Is there any setting I could be given where I could play around and make a style to test?
    I'm setting up a test forum now. I'll give you full access so you can mess with the styles.

I'm using Pronight, and I love it, but the only problem is that any pics wider than the forum are cut off rather than expanding the template

- Omar Little

Spent a lot of time today trying them out over a few viewings/posts. I'm liking the Hermes so far. It's crisp and easy to see without being 'glaring' which is comfortable to my old eyes. least favorite is a tie between sliced and getaway were like an assault. Still going through some others. I did notice that some of the styles ( rainbow pearl was one) had lines too close together making it difficult for point-n-clickers like me to, well, point-n-click. alal in alal mostly good stuff.
    edit: notice the buttons are kind of small not annoyingly so but almost. is that fixable?
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Thank you for the choices!

Having fun now switching back and forth on boards. Some are pleasing to my eye but have super wide margins, or they lose the quick reply, or like this one (crap I can't even remember which one this is...) the reply text is smaller than the rest.

And some aren't called The World Forgotten but Our Community.

Do any of the formats have the multi-quote or was that a vBulletin thingie?

Hermes seems to be pretty popular, so I think that's one of the ones we'll be keeping. I'll get started cleaning it up, fixing polling and quick reply issues and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    Hermes ... fixing polling
    This now works.

*cough* ProNight *cough*

- Omar Little

Sliced also, just because I'm using its template as the basis for Classic Blue...and I kinda like the regular unaltered version anyways...
    . . .