Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big day for Evangelical rapists

Default Big day for Evangelical rapists

I mean, it was blatantly obvious at the time that "shithole countries" was just projection—it's not like we needed more evidence. Guessing abortion will be illegal in a couple of dozen Taliban-controlled states? Big question is which states will be the first to capitalize on the other medieval reforms promised in Thomas's opinion.

Anyway, sincere condolences. I really didn't think your country hated women quite this much.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Sad day for the USA, but then the last couple of years have been a deluge of sad days. I'm not even surprised anymore every time a new depth is reached (just look at the Texas GOP this week, completely divorced from reality).
    For that reason, in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell.
    Curious why Thomas left out Loving in that list
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

You're assuming he would oppose race-based discrimination.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It's a state's right to decide. Until a GOP-controlled federal government passes a national ban at which point it's not a state's right to decide at all. If it involves abortion. Of course neither states nor the Feds have any business acting to preserve life if it interferes with gun ownership.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I mean, it was blatantly obvious at the time that "shithole countries" was just projection—it's not like we needed more evidence. Guessing abortion will be illegal in a couple of dozen Taliban-controlled states? Big question is which states will be the first to capitalize on the other medieval reforms promised in Thomas's opinion.

Anyway, sincere condolences. I really didn't think your country hated women quite this much.
    *TRRIGGGERRED* Please stop this trans exclusive talk. Men can get pregnant too you bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    *TRRIGGGERRED* Please stop this trans exclusive talk. Men can get pregnant too you bigot.
    As I've said before, you're literally the dumbest person I've ever encountered. I simply do not understand how you manage to put food on the table.

Finally, decisions about this sensitive and controversial issue are returned to the people and the democratic process.

In the past 24 hours we've signed-up to host people from states with garbage reproductive policies, and donated to funds that will help transport people who need abortions (though they don't always explicitly state that for liability reasons). The ground game begins, and interstate legislative "competition" will give people a chance to debate and push their views across large portions of the country.

The democratic process that the Supreme Court shut down 50 years ago can restart, albeit in a much more polarized environment. It will be messy. Democracy often is. It will take longer than it should. But women will get a legislative right to terminate a pregnancy in every state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Finally, decisions about this sensitive and controversial issue are returned to the people and the democratic process.

In the past 24 hours we've signed-up to host people from states with garbage reproductive policies, and donated to funds that will help transport people who need abortions (though they don't always explicitly state that for liability reasons). The ground game begins, and interstate legislative "competition" will give people a chance to debate and push their views across large portions of the country.

The democratic process that the Supreme Court shut down 50 years ago can restart, albeit in a much more polarized environment. It will be messy. Democracy often is. It will take longer than it should. But women will get a legislative right to terminate a pregnancy in every state.
    Hundreds of thousands of people being forced to undergo pregnancy and childbirth against their will or against their medical interests, mistreated or even prosecuted for having miscarriages, further tormented by rapists and abusers, all because of a decades-long campaign by religious extremists to destroy US democracy, isn't "messy"—it's an utter fucking disgrace. You say you've "signed-up to host people from states with garbage reproductive policies"? Make sure you share your post with them so they really know who you are.

I'm glad we agree that abortion should be widely available. I'm also happy I live in a democracy where 70% of people (to varying degrees) agree with this notion.

But, in a democracy we don't get all our policy choices, and we don't get them all at once. That takes work.

I'm glad we agree that abortion should be widely available. I'm also happy I live in a democracy where 70% of people (to varying degrees) agree with this notion.

But, in a democracy we don't get all our policy choices, and we don't get them all at once. That takes work.
    Like I said, I believe you should make these views known to anyone who may seek your help with getting an abortion. Open and honest debate is more essential to the democratic process than forcing hundreds of thousands of people to undergo pregnancy and childbirth against their will. Share your views with women whose right to have an abortion has now been taken away from them.

This is perhaps the most idiotic and roundabout way to say "fuck women, go fascism"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    This is perhaps the most idiotic and roundabout way to say "fuck women, go fascism"
    what is cope if not dignity persevering

You also live in a country where a minority class onto power yassin gerrymandering, restricting voting rights and opportunities, and uses outright fraud, and blocks any legislative progress.

And at the same time, the court restricted the democratic way to go around gun rights. And outright says that gay marriage, contraception etc are also on the chopping block.

Look. What could be more democratic than three people appointed by someone who didn't win the popular vote, after an appointment by someone who did when the popular vote was blocked, making and enforcing a decision ~70% of Americans disagree with?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Let's not forget that they all, under oath, swore that roe v Wade was established. Yay perjury!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Don't worry, though

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Dread, you're kind of ignoring the fact that the GOP is planning to ban abortion at the national level. Also, the fact that the GOP has done all this despite failing to get a majority of the vote thanks to institutions that allow minority rule.

Like I said, I believe you should make these views known to anyone who may seek your help with getting an abortion. Open and honest debate is more essential to the democratic process than forcing hundreds of thousands of people to undergo pregnancy and childbirth against their will. Share your views with women whose right to have an abortion has now been taken away from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Look. What could be more democratic than three people appointed by someone who didn't win the popular vote, after an appointment by someone who did when the popular vote was blocked, making and enforcing a decision ~70% of Americans disagree with?
    What could be less democratic than nine people with lifetime appointments dictating anything?

Democracy is about process and outcome. Caring about outcome alone is the first step to authoritarian rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Dread, you're kind of ignoring the fact that the GOP is planning to ban abortion at the national level. Also, the fact that the GOP has done all this despite failing to get a majority of the vote thanks to institutions that allow minority rule.
    I'm not ignoring that at all. This issue will be something we all get to vote on in various ways. I think the Republicans will likely lose their potential electoral gains this cycle if they don't moderate on this. And, now that the field is wide open to actually take a stance on this and implement policy, I and others will be closely attuned to it.

People seem to forget that Roe v. Wade was a radical decision in its time. It was a real example of judges creating policy far beyond what most democratic bodies had voted-on save for a few US states. The problem with pursing extensive policy changes via litigation has always been the lack of democratic accountability, which creates risk/reward paths tied to persuading small groups of judges in one direction or another.

Caring about outcome alone is the first step to authoritarian rule.
    Where do Americans get this idea that authoritarian rule comes from this 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' process? It's so fucking stupid. Can someone explain it to me?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'm not ignoring that at all. This issue will be something we all get to vote on in various ways. I think the Republicans will likely lose their potential electoral gains this cycle if they don't moderate on this. And, now that the field is wide open to actually take a stance on this and implement policy, I and others will be closely attuned to it.
    People in Iran and Russia get to vote in various ways as well. The reality is that a popular majority fails to win the US Senate, the presidency, and by extension, the Supreme Court. A popular majority fails to win state legislatures in most states. The institutional rules we have in place don't prevent majority rule; they allow a minority to rule over the majority.

People seem to forget that Roe v. Wade was a radical decision in its time. It was a real example of judges creating policy far beyond what most democratic bodies had voted-on save for a few US states. The problem with pursing extensive policy changes via litigation has always been the lack of democratic accountability, which creates risk/reward paths tied to persuading small groups of judges in one direction or another.
    It was a 7-2 decision. 3 out of the 4 justices appointed by Nixon voted with the majority. Nixon himself didn't oppose the decision. This only became a "radical decision" years later when the nascent Evangelical movement used it to rally its troops (in opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment, among other things).

Where do Americans get this idea that authoritarian rule comes from this 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' process? It's so fucking stupid. Can someone explain it to me?
    Among educated Americans with a progressive bent, it's nothing but cope. It's the only way they can reconcile the reality of their nation being an abominable shithole with their deeply held (delusional) conviction that it's the best place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    People in Iran and Russia get to vote in various ways as well. The reality is that a popular majority fails to win the US Senate, the presidency, and by extension, the Supreme Court. A popular majority fails to win state legislatures in most states. The institutional rules we have in place don't prevent majority rule; they allow a minority to rule over the majority.

It was a 7-2 decision. 3 out of the 4 justices appointed by Nixon voted with the majority. Nixon himself didn't oppose the decision. This only became a "radical decision" years later when the nascent Evangelical movement used it to rally its troops (in opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment, among other things).
    One one hand you criticize the act of voting in isolation as being democratic (you're right), then on another hand talk about the majority of the court and Richard Nixon's opinions as being representative of much?

Abortion was illegal in 25-30 states before Roe v. Wade. More states were legalizing it. The ruling pushed society ahead (and then ended up pushing society behind).

Among educated Americans with a progressive bent, it's nothing but cope. It's the only way they can reconcile the reality of their nation being an abominable shithole with their deeply held (delusional) conviction that it's the best place in the world.
    I don't think self style progressives think the USandA is the best place in the world.

No they won't. We all see where the economy is going and know what that means regarding party switches in Congress and the Oval Office. Which means we're going to get that federal ban McConnell has already talked about and you know as well as I that this Court is going to uphold it as proper democracy, completely ignoring their jurisprudence just now about states rights. The 10th amendment doesn't exist for the people, as individuals or collectively under this Court and it's going to be given the same thrift for the states.

And who is giving them the time off work for that kind of medical vacation? The time off from family and other obligations. All you're doing is supporting the well-off GOP in its push to preserve the freedom of abortion for them, who have available alternative options, and keeping it out of the hands of the poor, who don't and who are in an even worse position to support the results. And we all know you're not actually going to be willing to host many of those who aren't well off anyway. And where's the protection from prosecution afterwards?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

They returned the decision to the states they didn't make the decision. If they had ruled that the unborn have the right to life and therefore all abortions must be illegal, you'd have a point. But all they said is that it isn't a constitutionally protected right and that each state gets to make their own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    But all they said is that it isn't a constitutionally protected right and that each state gets to make their own rules.
    That's the thing that 70% of Americans disagree with.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Then should be super easy for folks to vote in legislatures who will codify it in their state law, right?

Most of this wouldn't be happening if liberals weren't so fucking obsessed with the purity of their own and canceling each other.
    Congratulations America

Like that's a fixed thing.
    Congratulations America

To be honest I also still don't understand how you guys are using a system that relies on a constitution vague enough that centuries later there's still major discussion about what it means, then appoint political judges to decide on it, and those political appointments (for life, mind you) can just decide to overturn old decisions (which weren't even 5-4 close or anything) which were reaffirmed multiple times.. just to state they were all wrong?