Thread: Senate / House Predictions?

Default Senate / House Predictions?

What are everyone's predictions?

Senate: 52/48 R Majority.

House: Republicans take it.

Texas I think Abbott holds on to the governorship.

This is a pretty dumb time to be treating an election like it's a sports game you can bet on. It's this kind of complicity that got us into this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    This is a pretty dumb time to be treating an election like it's a sports game you can bet on. It's this kind of complicity that got us into this mess.
    You must be fun at parties

Worries about the economy are going to cream the Democrats, they'll lose both houses.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I suspect Republican House; Pelosi starts to prep to retire in a way that she can anoint a successor. Senate stays 50/50 in ways few expected. Inshallah some untouchable-but-meh-politicians lose their jobs like Governor of NY. Life goes on.

There's plenty of intrigue in state elections for Gov, AG, Sec of State. See Arizona where (R) candidates are like a tag-team of Trumpist election deniers. Not to mention PA with (R) Mastriano running for Gov and appointing a Sec of State who will do his bidding and decertify voting machines....it's getting ugly and scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I suspect Republican House; Pelosi starts to prep to retire in a way that she can anoint a successor. Senate stays 50/50 in ways few expected. Inshallah some untouchable-but-meh-politicians lose their jobs like Governor of NY. Life goes on.
    Because what New York needs is an incompetent election-denier as its governor.

You remind me of the meme where someone has to choice between a slightly cold chicken dinner and arsenic and can't decide between the two.
    Hope is the denial of reality

The law suits have already started, challenging mail-in ballots with minor mistakes and early voting drop-off boxes. The Trumpsters are pushing the Big Lie that if we don't know election results tomorrow night...it's all been rigged/stolen!!

Never mind that the PA (R) legislature made the rules for pre-clearance and when/how absentee and mailed ballots are counted, so there's no way we'll know the results immediately. Gotta gin up the base and get them angry, facts be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Worries about the economy are going to cream the Democrats, they'll lose both houses.
    Funny sad thing about that is the (R) don't really have a plan or policy on how to reduce global inflation, let alone make things like gas or groceries or housing 'more affordable'.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Funny sad thing about that is the (R) don't really have a plan or policy on how to reduce global inflation, let alone make things like gas or groceries or housing 'more affordable'.
    Lower spending has a deflationary effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Is that why (R) think they will reduce costs by gutting the ACA, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and even Veteran's benefits? If they just privatize and de-regulate everything the Big Corporations and freee markets will make everything cheaper for everyone?

I'd love to see Sen Ron Johnson tell Iowa corn and dairy farmers he's determined to end their federal subsidies, and see how that works out, haha

Well maybe this explains the persistence of the libertarian flavored American Pie Dream. To paraphrase George Carlin, you'd have to be asleep to believe it.

btw one important prediction of voter turn-out is.....the local weather.

Which makes me wonder what "special exceptions" DeSantis has made for Floridians after hurricane Ian that wouldn't also be considered manipulation according to the Trumpists?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yeah, but that's how it is in politics. Incumbents have an advantage but the party in power also accrues all the blame for whatever is going wrong at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Ok, let's grant that premise for a moment (in reality it would vary wildly depending on the "spending"). So? The Republicans haven't lowered spending since they elected Bush Jr. They've lowered taxes (also inflationary) but they actually increased spending. Finally going the bread and circuses route. And there's no indication they're planning to change on that.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Saw two quotes the other day, thought I'd share it because I know Lewk [i]hates[/] the idea of things like strategic voting.

Voting isn't marriage. It's public transport. You're not waiting for "the one." You're getting on the bus. And if there isn't a bus going exactly to your destination, you don't stay home and sulk. You take the one that's going closest to where you want to be
    A vote is not a valentine. You aren't declaring your love for a candidate. It's a chess move for the world you want to live in

Its fascinating to see Georgia split ticket voters, I'm super curious if any media outlets have done interviews with someone who voted for Kemp but against Walker.

Well looks my Senate prediction is going to be off...

If the Republicans, e.g. take the House but narrowly miss out on taking Senate, I feel like we'd be looking at a very different narrative to the one we'll get if they hadn't hyped up a 'red wave' before hand.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

what the hell NY
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

So, looking like the Senate is going to come down to the Geogia run-off

I dislike run-off systems. I'm not a fan of how they extend the already overly-long election cycle and I don't like the frenzy created by situations like this. Just do ranked priority voting instead.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 11-10-2022 at 06:23 PM.

I dislike run-off systems. I'm not a fan of how they extend the already overly-long election cycle and I don't like the frenzy created by situations like this. Just do ranked priority voting instead.
    Rare moment where I'm in full agreement.

I wouldn't count out Nevada.

don't stop pls i'm begging u
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come