Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twitter fallout

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Why would you remind people of the time you posted that? If I'd posted that, it would become one of those memories of embarrassing moments that pop in your brain at like 2am when you're trying to sleep.
    It is not at all embarrassing to point out the danger of an elite sociopath. In this context he is an international arms dealer acting with impunity. I just hope Putin takes it to him personally and leaves the rest of the US out of it.

You wake up often at 2am?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    It is not at all embarrassing to point out the danger of an elite sociopath. In this context he is an international arms dealer acting with impunity. I just hope Putin takes it to him personally and leaves the rest of the US out of it.
    If you want to point out the danger of an elite sociopath, you should point out something actually dangerous that he did.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

If you want to point out the danger of an elite sociopath, you should point out something actually dangerous that he did.
    Okay, the fact that there exist people who do not see any danger here is, well, dangerous. Will it be an international incident when Putin starts knocking starlink satellites out of orbit? Would you consider that dangerous?

Will it be an international incident when Putin starts knocking starlink satellites out of orbit? Would you consider that dangerous?
    Firstly, I seriously doubt a single starlink satellite is worth spending an ABM on. You could certainly buy at least a dozen of them for the cost of a single RIM-161 (the US missile that can do the same thing), and knocking out one or two isn't really going to disrupt the overall network that much.

But putting that aside, and pretending that attacking the starlink constellation is something that can be done cost-effectively, I don't understand why you're so fixated on this as a possibility that you've brought it up twice now. Why do you think this would be something Putin would do?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Firstly, I seriously doubt a single starlink satellite is worth spending an ABM on. You could certainly buy at least a dozen of them for the cost of a single RIM-161 (the US missile that can do the same thing), and knocking out one or two isn't really going to disrupt the overall network that much.

But putting that aside, and pretending that attacking the starlink constellation is something that can be done cost-effectively, I don't understand why you're so fixated on this as a possibility that you've brought it up twice now. Why do you think this would be something Putin would do?
    Worth?? Do you believe Putin is rational enough to concern himself with calculations like this?

I'm still not hearing why, specifically, you think Putin is going to do this.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'm still not hearing why, specifically, you think Putin is going to do this.
    Musk was given this opportunity to showcase starlink when Putin targeted Ukraine's telecom infrastructure because Putin thought it would help his war effort. I can't speak to Putin's reasoning as to how taking out Ukraine's telecom infrastructure will help his war effort. But why would anyone be so certain Putin won't target starlink for the same reason?
    Last edited by Being; 12-16-2022 at 05:19 AM.

He'd have done it already if he was going to. There's not much point in such disruption with the operational situation as it stands nor in any direction it might move into. Putin already ceded the local information war and it's not relevant to military or political communication.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    He'd have done it already if he was going to. There's not much point in such disruption with the operational situation as it stands nor in any direction it might move into. Putin already ceded the local information war and it's not relevant to military or political communication.
    I believe you are correct but Steely was referring to when I first posted the possibility of danger.

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The fuck is he thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I believe you are correct but Steely was referring to when I first posted the possibility of danger.
    Actually, Steely was pointing out that you were trumpeting about how you ranted a demonstrably wrong prediction as if it had come true, which made no sense to him whatsoever.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

He left off OF.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I find it interesting that Onlyfans did not make the list. Nor Tiktok. Are they being considered content-creation platforms rather than social media platforms? Or is he just recognizing that removing them will be shooting themselves in the foot, unlike removing something like Facebook?

I'm kinda confused though. How do you cross-post your content without linking to the other platform?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The fuck is he thinking?
    You've been around the Internets long enough - never seen a mod meltdown?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'm surprised he didn't target imgur. They're social and large enough that when reddit split from being dependent on them they actually grew.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    He left off OF.
    I find it interesting that Onlyfans did not make the list. Nor Tiktok. Are they being considered content-creation platforms rather than social media platforms? Or is he just recognizing that removing them will be shooting themselves in the foot, unlike removing something like Facebook?

I'm kinda confused though. How do you cross-post your content without linking to the other platform?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't target imgur. They're social and large enough that when reddit split from being dependent on them they actually grew.
    He doesn't want to jeopardize his business in China, so Tik Tok gets a pass. OF and imgur are generally not regarded (by normal people) as social media, and are certainly not likely to be interesting alternatives for normal Twitter users seeking a safe haven. Truth Social is on the list because Trump keeps humiliating him and he wants to ingratiate himself with DeSantis. Gab is not on the list because he's a little groyper.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Great, voted out and now he will concentrate on destroying Tesla.

I love how he warned any CEO was in for a terrible time since the company has been going bankrupt since May. When he forced that offer on them back at the beginning of April

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    He doesn't want to jeopardize his business in China, so Tik Tok gets a pass. OF and imgur are generally not regarded (by normal people) as social media, and are certainly not likely to be interesting alternatives for normal Twitter users seeking a safe haven. Truth Social is on the list because Trump keeps humiliating him and he wants to ingratiate himself with DeSantis. Gab is not on the list because he's a little groyper.
    And they've already abandoned it. Poor Elon, constantly foiled by things like laws against anti-competitive behavior, or his own past self.

Well, according to Musk, this poll was stolen and he has the uncounted ballots to prove it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ae256be7cc7c38

I'd say he at least learned a lesson, but you'd think he'd have already learned that the Twitterverse isn't going to just automatically do the thing he wants it to do from the original blue-checkmark fiasco.

It's true that one would have to be insane to want the job. Even if he steps down as CEO, he still owns the company and we all know he would be a very active and interventionist owner. Keeping the company alive from that precarious position would indeed be a very difficult task

I'd say he at least learned a lesson, but you'd think he'd have already learned that the Twitterverse isn't going to just automatically do the thing he wants it to do from the original blue-checkmark fiasco.

It's true that one would have to be insane to want the job. Even if he steps down as CEO, he still owns the company and we all know he would be a very active and interventionist owner. Keeping the company alive from that precarious position would indeed be a very difficult task
    Learned a lesson? Sure he did, that's why he established a poll tax on the twits. You must be a check mark owner to vote in twit-polls now.
    Last edited by Being; 12-20-2022 at 07:37 PM.

I mean I've always thought Twitter got more attention than was merited based on its user count, but I guess the media elite really sucked Musk into this swamp.

He knew Twitter was a bad business going into the thing, but he thought he could gut the place and turn it around? I suppose the game isn't over yet and I can only hope he's successful for the sake of not dumping money, time and people's careers down the toilet.

I guess the media elite really sucked Musk into this swamp.
    *makes the dumbest decision you've ever seen in your entire life*

'the media elites sucked me into this'
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I mean I've always thought Twitter got more attention than was merited based on its user count, but I guess the media elite really sucked Musk into this swamp.

He knew Twitter was a bad business going into the thing, but he thought he could gut the place and turn it around? I suppose the game isn't over yet and I can only hope he's successful for the sake of not dumping money, time and people's careers down the toilet.
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't his narcissism and his army of sycophants.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    ...but I guess the media elite really sucked Musk into this swamp.
    That's a joke, right? Musk sucked himself into this with one tweet. One that he didn't want ending up like this...

https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2018-219

They have changed the twitter icon on the site to a doge.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

They have changed the twitter icon on the site to a doge.
    Promises made, promises kept.